bloodredsrt4

driveshaft question

has anyone used the driftmotion one piece driveshaft, steel or aluminum? was wondering if its worth it the get the one piece or just use the mk3 supra front half and leave it as a 2 piece shaft.... the car will be primarily a drift car with some street use with a welded diff.... any input is appreciated

Aphxhero (mark) has used it for awhile now I'm sure and you can just go have a one price made you dot have to order one I use a 1 peice drive shaft and I love it

yup, 1 pc here and it's night and day. This should be one of the first things everyone should do.

If ytou're going r154 then you can use your stock drive shaft. The auto will slip right into the r154. IIRC it needs to be about 2 1/4 0r 2 1/2 inches longer than stock. Measure the auto and r154 lengths and you'll figure it out, that's how I did it. Has worked flawlessly so far.

my x7 measurments from a 1j and r154 using celica supra mounts was 52" 13/16ths from the tranny spindle to diff flange... but ur gunna have to measure ur own or it prob wont fit

When ordered mine, I seemed to be the first because JAWS (4x4) shop that DM uses) called me and didn't believe that a Cressida was mk3ish in driveline. They asked me to measure from flange to ...something. X8s are just longer.

Anyway, I've been driving my mx73 for a week now and have been trying to figure out why it feels so retarded after engagement. Part of it is probably the old motor mounts, yeah definitely the 1piece shaft that I had on my X8.

I can't say for sure on the benefit of aluminum vs steel, cuz most of the heft of the 2piece is in the carrier bearing which is not much in the actual shaft. I'm gonna say that the weight is negligible cuz Gerard is run an hks clutch and his revs like a motherfucker. BUT think about the weight of an aluminum vs shaft, when you know you gotta lift that bitch and fuck with it one handed under a lowered car.

Believe it, if you are modding your xchassis to perform, you will detach the shaft plenty for clutches, sub frame bushings, suspension shit, diff shit, etc. 1peice makes life a lot easier when working on shit.

So I guess 1piece the tightest lock up and alloy for fanagalling around.

My two Lincoln's on that.

^could it be solved with give a 1/2 of play? The resean I went 1piece was cuz the whole mk3 front shaft wasnt butt up against the tranny. There's plenty of people running 2piece stock shit.

Ithink someone should call driftmotion/jaws to get there better input.

^could it be solved with give a 1/2 of play? The resean I went 1piece was cuz the whole mk3 front shaft wasnt butt up against the tranny. There's plenty of people running 2piece stock shit.

Ithink someone should call driftmotion/jaws to get there better input.

take a peek at how the rear suframe sits.

so on my x8 i can just use my stock shafts to get the car moving? no need for a mk3 front half?

This info is everywhere...

Dude, I told you there's like a 2 inch difference. The r154 is shorter by about two inches. The stock shaft will barely engage and will not be suitable for anything except babying the bitch to the shaft shop if they can turn it around quick enough.

As for steel vs alumoinum, yeah, al is nice. Had a foxbody that i went to an aluminum shaft on and it was different, but not as noticeable as stock x8 to 1pc. Don't waste your money on the al if you don't have plenty. If you do, fuck it. And my steel shaft is light as fuck compared to the 2pc.

It's simple man just go 1 peice and call it a day

^glad that my findings find agreeance. It really does seem to be a xchassis flaw. Like the bear has to much play/tolerance. It flex out before it finds center and get steady. I don't have the same problem with my shit mistumightymaxpickup but. The X7 is dilapidated when shifting.

I'm impressed with people who can track or drift with it. Its like dealing with a limp, you'd have to know you're flaws so well that they become not flaws. Sketchy though.

^glad that my findings find agreeance. It really does seem to be a xchassis flaw. Like the bear has to much play/tolerance. It flex out before it finds center and get steady. I don't have the same problem with my shit mistumightymaxpickup but. The X7 is dilapidated when shifting.

I'm impressed with people who can track or drift with it. Its like dealing with a limp, you'd have to know you're flaws so well that they become not flaws. Sketchy though.

Yeah my x7 is very jerky but i believe it to be clutch chatter mostly cuz my clutch is very worn and Ive slipped it a few times... Hopefully it goes away with a new one :(

Ok does anyone have a actual measurement for the x8 1 piece. Im sure im not the only one who needs it.

Ok does anyone have a actual measurement for the x8 1 piece. Im sure im not the only one who needs it.

iirc it is 49.5" center to center on the U-joints. To be safe measure the stock cressida driveshaft (center to center) and add 2 inches.