Guest RoyRogers

ma70 diff into x8??

Guest RoyRogers

okay.. ive been searching for a while now. and i cant seem to just find a straight up answer of what i need to do to swap my shit over. so far i understand:

swap rear cover w/ x8 cover

make spacer for front bolts

and bolt that shit in...

is that all? or do i have to mod subframe and shit? lmk

my biggest question of all is after so many people have done this swap why are there no PICTURES!!!!!?????. thanks to all who help.

supra is a 4 bolt carrier and cressida is 3 bolt. After you make spacers, you need to cut a whole in the subframe and drill to add the extra point that the supra casing has.

You can do that, or take the internals out of the MA70 diff and throw it in the cressida casing. Bearings are the same. Make sure you run the correct ring gear with the right pinion

Guest RoyRogers

which gear and pinion would i use?? i assume i would just use everything from surpa right???

easiest would be take your cressida ring gear and put it on the supra diff.

Speedo would read like it did before.

If you want the gearing of the supra which your diff came in, you would have to swap the pinion out.

Basically, for whatever gear you use, you need to use its pinion

in some cases like mine (full mk3 rear diff) ya gotta cut out access holes on the floor under the backseat to get access to the top of the subframe to get to the bolts.

i just kept the pieces i cut off and duct taped it back on. lol.

Also if you need the correct gear for the Speedo tell me the gear your using and I can give you the part. I order mine from Elmhurst Toyota and still have the numbers lying around from stock up to 4.30. They cost 23 and change.

these pics have been posted so many times here, have any of you dumbasses ever heard of search?

diff2_1.jpg

diff2_2.jpg

diff2_3.jpg

Go to flipsidecustoms and order the kit Rob makes. I have it, just not installed yet. It involves a plate you weld to the subframe and two tubes that you weld to the plate that are threaded for bolts to attach the front part of the diff.

Two posts above you tardinator. Like Demesio said, change the diff bushings while you're there.

Haha my phone subbed Demerol when I typed Demesio.

has anyone ever run big power through the stock diff mounting? i still don't trust the x8 3-point mount vs the supra 4-point...

i believe shane did on his drag cressida. i think he was already into the low 9's on stock axles and stock diff housing (stock lsd). he welded or supported the diff mounts i think though. i vaguely remember him saying somewhere that he had plans to go with a 9" rear due to excessive wheel hop and/or wheelslip on launch with the stock IRS.

his car is auto though so bashing through gears might be a different story

he hasn't posted in ages but if you feel like going back into time