Sign in to follow this  
Bussan

stall

Ok so here it goes. (not sure if this is the place to ask... after lots of searching found ... well not much)

I was driving my car the other day (super hot outside) and was driving on the freeway. After getting off the free way, while idling at a stop (and in a parking lot 2 days earlier) my car dies. While the car was running I checked the turbo timer and it shows the Voltage running at about 13.5v -> 14.2v. When the car died the voltage went down to 5v. When I cranked the car the Voltage went to 12.2v and didn't start. After waiting about 2 min the car cranked and started right up.

So here's what I'm thinking

1) Battery is fucked, maybe a connection ( had a previous problem simular to this and ended up being the Iccv valve? cant remeber the name.

Cleaned it and worked fine as well as fixed the battery connection)

2) starter is going out? (takes a few cranks to turn on usually. not sure what the signs of this are)

3) car is overheating ( I kinda doubt this since the temp gauge doesn't show it being too hot. but then again on the turbo timer says 41 *C

and I have no idea what the normal running temp is since i don't check it often.)

4) Fuse blown somewhere?

Please save me from my failness

is it a sealed battery? when it gets like 100+ outside non-sealed batteries sometimes like to evap their water out. if you can pop the caps off the battery, maybe it's going dry from heat, you might have fried it already if it was charging without enough water.

there are no caps on the battery connections. if thats what you mean. If thats the problem then maybe ill go get it tested tomorrow... assuming i can make it to the car shop.

Update* (had battery checked no problems. Judging from what happend it seems to be an Airflow problem i guess. I got no definite answer. for now just

need to clean side intercooler and something else and see if that works)

do you still have electrical power when this happens? or car cranks and doesn't start? if it clicks it could be your starter, but it doesn't explain why it shut down.

if you lose power, check for loose/bad battery connection, grounds, perhaps your alternator is going (batt won't be able charge). check your voltage at idle.

bad ecu will do funny things too, but it's more common on x8, a7 ecu's

do you still have electrical power when this happens? or car cranks and doesn't start? if it clicks it could be your starter, but it doesn't explain why it shut down.

if you lose power, check for loose/bad battery connection, grounds, perhaps your alternator is going (batt won't be able charge). check your voltage at idle.

bad ecu will do funny things too, but it's more common on x8, a7 ecu's

Well it hasnt happened since yet.. but I dont drive everyday either.

what happened was after some spirited Freeway driving I came to a stop at a light. then 2 lights after that the car stopped while starting from a stop, it is possible I stalled the car but highly unlikely since there was no jerk when it happened. Didnt notice if I still had electircal power or not.. stereo was on when it happend but its all the stock stereo sound and whatnot

Car did not crank when i turned it... Showed voltage at 12.8 and wouldn't start. after 1 min it started up fine and nothing wrong the rest of the way home.

other info i have been watching the past week.

When starting Voltage is at 14.2v.... after a bit of driving it hangs out around 13.5v. When coming to a stop from well... speeding i guess.. drops to 12.8v then rests about 13.3v.

When I had the problem it was a hot day so not sure if that had any effect on it. But temp was only about 35*C.

Anyway, while removing my dash trying to fix a lift problem (didnt end well) I noticed there was a ground behind the stereo that was not connected to anything. Either it was a ground that I had accidentally forgotten to connect when I removed stereo a month or so ago, or I had disconnected it while removing dash that day.... sorry thats confusing... for those to whom it does not make sense.

I removed stereo a month ago (head unit) might have not connected the ground again since i never noticed it.

2 weeks ago removed dash. While putting back together I noticed the ground wire. Either it had been disconnected for a month, or the same day I removed the dash i disconnected it from somewhere else. If this is the case, then the ground is not the cause.

However if it was disconnected when i removed the stereo, then the ground might possibly be the problem. For now I have not been able to see the same problem yet. Constantly watching the volt meter.

sorry thats too much to read... correct me if I'm stupid and am imagining I understand how cars work ("-_-)

sounds like a control module or some critical piece of electrical equipment on its way out. super common problem, they get hot and stop working but after being off for a few mins and cool down they work perfectly.

sounds like a control module or some critical piece of electrical equipment on its way out. super common problem, they get hot and stop working but after being off for a few mins and cool down they work perfectly.

^this

What ecu do you have? And I was gonna say check grounds.

Bad connection at the starter post can cause a lot of load too. Your voltage levels seem high enough to keep the car running though, as most ECU's cut out at 10 volts.

This sounds more like a temperature related problem. I have not confirmed this but I have seen and heard of Toyotas shutting down when the get too hot. Happened to Lucas a lot while he had bubbles in his radiator and just general cooling problems. Also happened to my neighbor when his water pump went out in his Camry. If it is not a fail safe, then it may be the temps get to high for the Temp sensor, and we all no the car will not fire when there is no temp signal.

FYI-My car runs around 13.5-14.2 while driving (SAFC II reading)

well the ground that wasn't connected behind the navi might have been part of the ECU ground. The ECU is actually right behind the stereo in X100 apparently. So far I haven't had the problem yet. But then again I haven't had a chance to drive on the freeway today. I'm going to Costco (yes they have Costco here) so Ill push the car and see if it happens. If not then it was the ground that I re connected.

Thanks for the info guys. (BTW ecu is stock. only has boost controller and turbo timer)

My car was doing the same thing. Turns out my Apexi FC was pulling timing and making it stall.

yeah been a few months.. it was the ground wire for the ecu behind the radio that i guess wasnt reconnected when autobacs installed my navi