Sign in to follow this  
blaine

w58 swap

ok guys i am getting a great deal on an entire 5 speed swap and i was searching but with no luck. has anyone done a write up? like a no-shit step by step how to on this? if so i would appreciate it. its going on my 7mge til i get my next bonus installment. thanks in advance for the help

This link was pretty helpful. Just register at toyotacressida.net first and the link will work thereafter.

http://forums.toyotacressida.net/forums/sh...t=MX83+W58+Swap

Hope this helps. I am working on my W58 swap right now as well. I dropped the auto last night and will have the W58 in this week.

I still have to get the front half of the drive shaft and clutch line.

Post up if you have any issues; we'll help you out.

^^HAHAHA. My bad. I don't mind helping but there is a lot of helpful info out there. I did a search on toyotacressida.net and found what I needed.

There are so many threads there about doing the swap. There are also many discussions regarding the best pedals to use and such. I used the MKIII clutch pedal and cut my brake pedal. I had to do a little A.E. to get the clutch pedal to fit to my preference. I am happy with my work thus far.

thanks for the feedback man. i am getting it all from a mk3. the whole thing for 250. its a fuckin steal. ill post up if i run into anything. i need the 5 speed starter right?

Nope. Your original 7M starter will work. I remember reading that somewhere on JZXP.

The price that you paid for everything is a very good price. Great find.

Guest RoyRogers
This link was pretty helpful. Just register at toyotacressida.net first and the link will work thereafter.

http://forums.toyotacressida.net/forums/sh...t=MX83+W58+Swap

Hope this helps. I am working on my W58 swap right now as well. I dropped the auto last night and will have the W58 in this week.

I still have to get the front half of the drive shaft and clutch line.

Post up if you have any issues; we'll help you out.

that makes 3 of us. my motor is going back in this week. i did an entire reseal and w58 swap. although im not happy with my clutch pedal fitment. i used a mk2 supra clutch pedal and it is giving me problems. it bolts to the firewall fine but it doesnt line up with the upper bolt hole. my pedal has holes for 2 bolts and there is only 1 hole for the pedal.................would a mk3 pedal work/bolt in better?

word on the skreet is mk3 everything bro... pedals are bolt on from what ive read just gotta shim or trim

Guest RoyRogers

sounds good man thanks. I've just read that the mk3 clutch pedal sits crooked a bit so i was weary.

MK3 clutch pedal and clutch master ARE NOT BOLT ON. Measuring and drilling is involved to fit MK3 clutch pedal and clutch master. Only thing thats close to bolt on from a Supra is a MK2 clutch pedal with a 90-93 celica clutch master.

The MKIII pedal requires you to redrill one hole and drill a completley new hole. If I remember correctly, the holes to mount the clutch pedal/master cylinder has be be redrilled to 18mm.

Correct me if I am wrong.

----------------

MK3 clutch pedal and clutch master ARE NOT BOLT ON. Measuring and drilling is involved to fit MK3 clutch pedal and clutch master. Only thing thats close to bolt on from a Supra is a MK2 clutch pedal with a 90-93 celica clutch master.

The MKII clutch pedal does still require a redrill of somewhere between 12-14mm.

Again, correct me if I am mistaking.

Guest RoyRogers

is there any fuckin pedal that is just a direct bolt in.

i have a mk2 supra clutch pedal and a 90-93 celica master.

the celica master fits sooooooo perfect

the pedal..... not so much. like i said the top of the pedal bracket has two holes for bolts but the top of the fire wall only has one hole for a bolt.

im either gonna make a bracket or drill into the firewall. the only problem is what am i going to thread the bolt into if i drill into the firewall??

I dunno why were still talking about this. There's threads about clutch pedals already. G uses this setup and so do I. To the right is a MK2 clutch pedal and to the left is a MK3 pedal. Do you see the differences in the holes?

2010-01-31081326.jpg

MK2 pedal bolts right on only requiring two holes to be drilled beneath the windshield by the wiper arm for extra support (recommended). Unless you want to modify the pedal bracket itself by welding on a tab to have it bolt onto the factory threaded hole up above it.

2010-01-31081202.jpg

2010-01-31081152.jpg

2010-01-31081139.jpg

Guest RoyRogers

thank you that is all i needed. i can just cut the brake pedal right or should i get a mk3 brake pedal?

cacressida thanks for the input i was just searching that and wondering why the posting as well? anyway i have read to use a spacer with a mk3 and it will work. the only reason im stuck on that is that im getting all this from an mk3 donor car. thanks for all the insight guys

On my gold cress i used a MK3 setup as well and I used a 2mm thick washer on the engine side of the firewall to fit the MK3 clutchh master and to make the MK3 clutch pedal to line up. I used a MK3 brake pedal arm.

dash.jpg

yea thats what i believe i'm goin to do. i read to take one stud off the master and tighten it really good? i like your idea better though because it still has both bolts

You guys should see Miles' pedal. The thing is held on by 1 bolt all super crooked and everything, but it works somehow.

Just cut the brake pedal, but be prepared to use something serious since it's pretty thick metal. I've always cut them with a 4.5" cut off wheel, but make sure you hold it right so that when it grabs the foot plate it doesn't go shooting into your face.

BTW, I always recommend a brand new master, line and slave. Saves a lot of headache troubleshooting clutch problems in years to come.

ghettofab.jpg

I am using a mk2 pedal. If you don't feel like drilling into the wiper area you can make something like this for the one threaded hole available under all that bs. I used shit I found lying around, but your street sign will work fine. So go wiggle that bitch off then get you a rad hack saw like this one i found. Measure some shit and drill a couple holes and presto. I also used this saw to get rid of half the brake pedal. It's ghetto as fuck but solid and works.

i like the whole straight ghetto appeal... lol good advice about the new gear a thought i been havin. does anyone have a pic of the brake pedal cutting i cant picture what you cut on it?

Seriously?

What did you score on your ASVAB?

You cut away what doesn't look like a manual brake pedal, which is a good 2" of the left side f the wide auto brake pedal. Do you need a diagram?

Just use the MK3 brake pedal. It's seriously bolt in, like it was meant to be there. The actual position is perfect in the footwell. The only thing you have to do is grind off the switch stop near the top of the pedal and weld it back on the other side. If you have both pedals in your hand it's easy to see wtf to do.

thanks. i will be pulling all the parts friday. swap next weekend hopefully... lookin at the volvo lips now. they look like a good fit

Now how is it that you can't picture what portion of the brake pedal to cut (and I'm pretty sure you've seen a brake pedal before), but I've never seen your mom or grandma, but I can picture myself givin em the cock meat sandwich? Isn't that strange? You need a role model...