Sign in to follow this  
heyitsmarksupG

brass freeze plugs vs steel?

Which freeze plugs are better on the 5m 7m 1j and 2j? Steel or Brass? OEM or not?

I've got a pin-hole cracked in one of my freezeplugs. whats the easiest way to remove this plug? i've heard about drilling a hole in it and yanking it out. I've tried JB Welding it, (sadly).

this is gonna be a DIY and i dont know how much shops will do this so i'd liike to try it out

Punch/drill hole into the center, i like using my tiny 2lb slide hammer with an L bracket and tapping it out (this works most of the time for me), i have also used screw drivers to mangle the plug enough so i can get some visegrips or a clean strike with a punch. Once out make sure the block surface is clean. I bought an installed tool ages ago and the little drivers work... but a properly sized socket and a small hammer works just fine too. Top off coolant, remove airpocketss and double check for leaks.

I have no preference brass vs steel as i get whatever is avaliable, i do not like the expanding rubber plugs used in long term applications.

use steel plugs.. there like that facory for a reason. brass and cast iron expand at different rates. brass works in aluminum cause they both expand fast.

awesome. thanks everyone with your input. wish me luck. Toyota Fest this saturday, hopefully i have my cress finished by then. if not, for sure JCCS

wtf really?

freeze plug threads?

whats next?

"what kind of air should i put in my tires?"

>>from a compressor.

>>>what kind of compressor should i use? hand pump, foot pump, bicycle pump? how long will it take with the bicycle pump? cause i need to spend as much time as possible posting shit threads on JZXP and cant dilly dally with this bicycle pump business.

>>>>i heard nitrogen is good to use in your tires...which kind of pump will pump nitrogen the best?

fuhh-getta bout it...I just JB welded that ish. Imma just run this cress till it cant take it. Ugh. Someone spare me a JZ. just send it to my house its XXX Blah Ave.