CRES

Cres GX81 Philippines

Since I am starting with this project. Let me share my documentary of the buildup and I hope this also help others who are doing the same thing.

Right now, I have an almost stock GX81 with Tanabe sports springs all around, Momo Drift steering wheel and Atomic shiftknob. I plan to build the car for use in local drift comps in the Philippines since I already retired my ae86 from competition and sold it to my friend and I need a drift car asap. This project may take less than 2 months so finishbut we all know that car projects take forever as long as the car is still intact. I hope I get to finish this in the time frame I am looking at so I can see the car in action.

I am just so excited to use this car so I hope the buildup goes well as planned.

Anyway,here are some pics of the car I will be building up.

IMG_2349.jpg

gx81.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

Tanabe rear springs

IMG_3535.jpg

Here is also the x9 rearnd I got which I will be using on the x8.

IMG_3421.jpg

Cusco 2 way LSD unit and it already has a 3.9 ring gear and pinion.

IMG_3420.jpg

more pics will be posted as well as buildup as the project goes.

The second pic on top is the one with the tanabe springs. It lowers about an inch though I am unsure since the springs already came with the car when I bought it but from what my friend told me, its about an inch lower.

Momo makes a "Drift" steering wheel with 'drifting" stitched on it? Wow. Horrible.

Clean car though, good luck with it.

^^^ the line is there as a reference point for where to put your right hand so you can try to look like a super badass or a rapper or something. im not 100% sure what the desired look is that these people are going for. all i really know is they look like huge cockfags, and you wouldn't want to actually drive fast with one hand on the TDC of ur steering wheel. woman look fucking seriously cool when they drive a massive ford excursion like that tho. lol at women trying to be serious.

Loose Seal,

I'm not much a fan of the Momo drifting s/w but this came with the car so I have to live with if for the meantime.I still like my Nardi deepcorn which I will be using at a later time.

Since the jzx90 rearend is the first item I acquired for the gx81, i have decided to install it. After so much comparing and fitting, I found out that the subframe from the x9 will not bolt on directly to the car so I had to find a way to fit the other parts to the x8 subframe with minimal modification. What I also discovered is that the jzx90 big brakes will bolt on directly to the x8 rear brackets with no modification at all as long as you use the x8 4 link system and lower control arms.The handrbrake cables and the hubs are all the same. Also, the jzx90 axles are different from the x8 as the left side is shorter than the rightside because the diff has an off-center design but the spindles that mounts to the brakes are the same.

Here are some pics of the parts being compared( i will just update this as i take some more pictures later on)

Jzx90 brakes on the left, gx81 on the right- the brakes of the jzx90 has a bigger rotor and it comes with a vented disc while the gx81 has a solid rotor and it is smaller. I also noticed that the gx81 rear calipers is bigger than the jzx90.

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

x9 axles on top, x8 below( I was not able to take pictures of their length on bothsides)

IMG_3534.jpg

The jzx90 differential is very different from the x8 diff. The rear pan of the x8 cannot be interchanged to the x9 bec is is just smaller. Since I faced this dilemma, I decided to modify the subframe of the x8 to fit the lsd diff of the x9 and use the original x9 axles and brakes.

mounting tabs on the rear part don't line up to the x8.

IMG_3546.jpg

mounting tab on the front diff also doesn't line up and it also has one mounting tab

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

So, this is what I did to the front mounting tab first, I took the fixed nut from the x9 subframe and transfered it to the x8 frame.

IMG_3589.jpg

made a window on the frame so we can mount the other nut on the other side

IMG_3584.jpg

as for the rear diff mounts, I decided to use the original mounts from the x9 subframe and transfer it to the x8. when transferring it, make sure to align the diff very well

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

when done cutting the x8 panel, I installed the x9 mounts on the x8 subframe and this is how it looks

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

I will update again.....

Nice.

I'm glad people still consider a torch as a useful tool, in the age of plasma cutters and angle grinders.

Thanks.

We here just love our old tools....hahaha. :lol:

My shop actually has some of the newer tools but its my people who are just not used to using them.

are the subframes heat treated from factory?

hey toycool bastard (cres), when are you gonna start on my cressida? i need the front chin and the roof spoiler....i can't wait!

cocobitz,

I have no idea about that from factory.Let's wait for the others to reply. :)

freedom,

That is cool to know. :thumbsup:

Pao,

:rolleyes:

I highly doubt the subframes are heat treated. If the were heat treated, the surface hardness would make it tougher to drill/cut.

Doesn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint.

Since the jzx90 rearend is the first item I acquired for the gx81, i have decided to install it. After so much comparing and fitting, I found out that the subframe from the x9 will not bolt on directly to the car so I had to find a way to fit the other parts to the x8 subframe with minimal modification. What I also discovered is that the jzx90 big brakes will bolt on directly to the x8 rear brackets with no modification at all as long as you use the x8 4 link system and lower control arms.The handrbrake cables and the hubs are all the same. Also, the jzx90 axles are different from the x8 as the left side is shorter than the rightside because the diff has an off-center design but the spindles that mounts to the brakes are the same.

bro,how do u solve that problem?

freedom you answered your own question in the quote you put up. if jzx90 axles are longer on one side, the diff he installed is off center, but spindles=same, then it would be safe to assume he is using jzx90 axles.

he swapped everything over (brakes, diff, axles) except for the hub carrier and suspension components

jzx90 rear rotors are a common swap for the X8 being that the inside drum/shoe is identical (as pointed out) and allows you to run a larger diameter rotor. night pager does the same to use their rear Z32/R32 2 pot caliper upgrade.

boso-bro, the diff has the breather on the back cover. similar to the A80 and Z30 diffs.

I'll just give some clarification. You will need to use the following parts to fit the x8 subframe if you have the jzx90 rearend.

-x9 axles(l & r)

-x9 diff pumpkin

-x9 rear diff mounting plate w/ bushing

-x9 front diff tab mount(optional)

-x9 brake system w/ handbrake

-x8 4 link system

-x8 lower control arm

-x8 subframe

I am also working on making the rear swaybar from the x9 to work with the x8 subframe so to give it a little stiffness.

IMG_3663.jpg

X8 swaybar on top, X9 below

IMG_3664.jpg

I had the swaybar end torched and hammered so it will have the same length as the stock X8 swaybar. A new hole will be redrilled to it. I will also be using the X9 end link since its made of metal unlike the X8 which is hard plastic.

(note: X9 swaybar is just a hollow bar so I do not know if it will help on the stiffness when cornering)

IMG_3697.jpg

Kei Office front and rear A31 coilovers came in. I will be doing a conversion just like what white_raven did to his ride. :)