Sign in to follow this  
CelicaDRIFTER

so, i think my trunk lock is broken.

This morning went to open my trunk before leaving for work, shit turned with the key but nothing happened. Pulling the latch inside the car didnt work either. fuck.

So when i got home, took the backseat out, moved my amp out of the way, undid a speaker box to get out of the way, and crawled my way inside the trunk. tried a few things, nothing. THEN, i ended up cutting an access hole on the cover that goes under the trunk with a utility knife, fiddled around, and ended up pulling the retainer that held the trunk lock cylinder in place. Went back outside to pull the lock off and bam, trunk opened.

Messed with it by stickin the key in there and turning, same shit, didnt wanna turn.

Anyone ever had that problem with their trunk lock?

I think ima need a new trunk lock. FUCK!

That sounds weird, of all the Cressida's i've owned, either the key works or the trunk latch works but never both. I guess I will cross that bridge when the "other" form breaks on me.

That sounds weird, of all the Cressida's i've owned, either the key works or the trunk latch works but never both. I guess I will cross that bridge when the "other" form breaks on me.

i still need to onbolt the rest of the trunk latch to see wuts up with where the cable is hooked up to, to see if it came off. didnt get a chance to tonight as it was already 11pm and said fuck it.

if i end up needing another lock, might be lookin for a Mark II trunk lock.

maybe it just needs to soak in wd40 for awhile. When my hood latch wasn't working properly from opening and closing it too much, I soaked it in wd40 and it's been great ever since.

The exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks after I bought my x8. Let me guess, you soak it in as much penetrating oil as you want and it still doesn't work? I was mongering about the junkyard and I coincidentally found a fresh lock with the key still in it, lucky me. I'm assuming yours has the same problem mine did, the cylinder jams. You might as well grab an extra latch and cylinder from the scrap yard, try installing the latch first, then I guess your last bet would be to give the lock to a lock smith and have him make you a key for it, should be around 50-60 bucks im guessing.

do you have the original master key?

These trunks have a valet setting. If the tumbler is sideways and not vertical it locks out the latch release cable. Also there is a valet key that will not return the tumbler to normal. Lucas had to go through this before, his key was not the master so he had to go to a locksmith to fix it.

check your tumbler and post of pics.

if anything pull the position lock key from behind the lock and pull out the tumbler. take down to a locksmith and get it clean and the pins replaced.

oh and wd40 will eventually clog the lock because it attracts dirt and sediment. You need "Lock-ease" a lubricant specifically designs for tumblers.

same thing happened to me. turned out the original shoulders of the key were too worn + the lock was old and grimy.

I ended up taking mine to a locksmith where they just used an industry lube (because WD40 can gum things up), worked the lube into the lock with the original key until it worked... and cut me a couple new keys.

These things apprently have a valet lock too. turn it counter clockwise and it will not open with the interior pop.

'

( I didnt read mitch's post before replying... so yeah)

yeah, mine is stuck at a horizontal position.

even with the lock removed, i still cant open the trunk with that latch inside next to the seat.

i also dont think my keys are the original. i had one copy made.

when my trunk lock broke on me i went to the toyota dealership and bought a new one. it cost a hundred dollars. the toyota guy @ the dealership told me there was only like 4 left in the US. that was a year ago.

yeah, mine is stuck at a horizontal position.

even with the lock removed, i still cant open the trunk with that latch inside next to the seat.

i also dont think my keys are the original. i had one copy made.

yeah it's in valet mode.

Take it to a decent locksmith, they can manually re-cut a key with the correct shoulder length to allow you turn it back.

then it's done and fixed.

that's why i didn't want to cut any more new keys because my master key is worn to shit (at any homedepot, ace, dealership that uses the tracing thingamajigger to make copies). which means any copies probably wont fair any better. my truck still opens, but on occasions i find it sort of get "stuck" and i got to mess with it to get it to unlock. sometimes i put it to lock and i get my key stuck lol.

here's the fun part. unless you're lucky and find a toyota dealer with old database, you can't simply ask for a new cut master without the numbers off the lock itself. so you gotta pull it out and read the numbers. then the dealership can make you a new one. not sure if the trunk lock has this number on it though, the guy at the counter said i needed to get the number off the driver door lock

hmm, might ask a friend at cabe toyota on this.

i got the latch to open from the inside most of the time. lol.

damn, i want a MARK II trunk lock even more now! haha

just find a locksmith. the good ones dont use the trace cutter shit.

thats what I got. thats what works for me.

Its also a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new locks.

Why is this so hard? It just takes a couple minutes.

eh, goin to a local locksmith tomorrow. goin to make a new key, not a copy, $45. see if that works, which it should. arrrrgh.

quick q. does the same key have trouble locking the glovebox? because if it doesn't, it's probably not your key, but your lock that's buzaasted yo. turning the key left (horizontal) will lock the glovebox in the same fashion as the trunk lock.

tried it just now. when i turn the key left, it barely goes left and it opens the glovebox. i turn it right, and it wont wanna go.

worn key if his trunk lock works now

what was it?

yeah, what ray said. worn key. had 2 new keys made. not copies.

got it made at Atlantic Lock and Key here in Downey, CA