Lets have a meaningful discussion over EPA's 25-year importation rule.

Over the next few years, we can FINALLY get some decent steal over here, and in 4 years our first X8.

What does it take to legally import a 25-year old Japanese car here? Are there restrictions on model, mileage, etc? Who can you work with to get the car purchased, shipped, inspected and registered here?

I know people bring shit in all the time, but I'm asking about 100% legal imports. No tricks, loop holes, vin swaps, black-ops motor swapping, etc...

a military friend of mine just bought a 1985 **jdmtytefanboicorolla** for this same reason. he talked with his transportation office and told me that as long as you can prove the year and have valid paperwork then it's just like registering any other car. Oreofreak probably has some more info on this as well because he's planning on bringing back his jzx81 when the time comes.

Here is some info for a good start:

"Importing a Motor Vehicle" (Department of Homeland Security)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_tra...porting_car.xml

"The Automotive Imports Facts Manual" (EPA)

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/oms-def.htm

"Quick Overview of Vehicle Import Requirements" (EPA)

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/quikover.htm

importing a 25 year old vehicle from japan its waived from EPA and all them other inspections shits since at 25 years its considered a CLASSIC car. specifics on how to get it shipped and all that. Its super simple for us in the military cuz we can take it as "personal property". maybe someone has some info on, buying it→shipping it..

i was going to my FC RX7 with me, but the engine shit on me.

best i can say, find someone in the miliary and have them get one and bring it with them.(i would but im leaving japan in one month :(

(a) 21 YEARS OLD OR OLDER EXEMPTION

The vehicle is 21 original production (OP) years old or older (OP years = the calendar year the vehicle was manufactured subtracted from the calendar year the vehicle was imported) and in original unmodified configuration.

Requirements

* Importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "E".

* Customs may require proof of vehicle age.

Restrictions

* The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration.

* Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines.

Whats up with that!??!?!?^^^ Only 21 years, not 25! That kind of changes a lot.

Tradecarview.com Start shopping