Sign in to follow this  
JZXpwns

JIC JZX81 Coilovers

My front struts are blown in my JIC coilovers. I think they are SA-1s or something like that. maybe SF-1s.

Anyway I need to know where I can get some new strut inserts. And can I put adjustable struts in?

IMG_7560.jpg

Contact JIC USA they rebuild them and can give you custom valving. I think they start at $200 a coilover if in your budget I would recoment getting some S9s

Keep in mind JIC's never last for some reason the life span on them is shit. I have had almost every type of coilovers on the market ever time I get a car with JICs there are tottaly fucked or on there way out.

i have JIC "majic" coilovers in my x8... front left seems to be topping out and knocking, im looking to put a slightly longer stroke adjustable insert in, might do the rears while im at it.... does anyone know if the shock body is stock length or are the struts shorter to use a short stroke shock???

I have these same coilovers, well the non adjustable ones anyway which should be the same. As far as I was told they don't make the non-adj. inserts anymore and if you can find them, at $200 a piece that's a waste of money. I cut mine apart at the weld and pulled the spacer piece out and made a new shorter spacer and then welded the tubes back up and got some SW20 Tokico 5-ways and installed those. The only down side to those is, they don't last as long either because they are dampened for a car that's roughly 2600lbs. They blow out about every 8 to 9 months of daily/some track use. I belive an oem JIC replacement that's adjustable would be for FLT-A2's and those are inverted and would'nt work. Good luck!

ok been reading around and heard something about some Koni inserts that will fit "with a little work" somebody said... Koni p/n 8610-1436RACE.

what "a little work" means im not sure lol but we'll see

anybody know anything about this? Coilovers are still on the car, so i need to pull them off and take the inserts out to measure. but i dont want to quit driving it LOL.

On these coilovers, they use the same exact insert for front and rear and I believe they were like either 11 1/4" or 11 3/4" long

ok been reading around and heard something about some Koni inserts that will fit "with a little work" somebody said... Koni p/n 8610-1436RACE.

what "a little work" means im not sure lol but we'll see

anybody know anything about this? Coilovers are still on the car, so i need to pull them off and take the inserts out to measure. but i dont want to quit driving it LOL.

Koni makes good shit! If you can find a way to make a Koni insert work in these JIC's ... yer the man!!! and they'll be more realiable than JIC from the get go IMO!

i think duaxmachine may know more about what it takes for the Koni's to fit. If he could chime in on this that'd be great.

alright got the old strut out and its so shitty blown nasty lol

Got all the measurements and it looks like the Konis will work

they go for about $200 each, but my buddy may be able to get me a deal on them

so far so good, ill take pics when i start putting stuff together

Guest DuaxMachine
i think duaxmachine may know more about what it takes for the Koni's to fit. If he could chime in on this that'd be great.

Well, late again........

The only thing that I can see being a problem, is if buy the double adjustable ones,

since the 2nd adjustment knob is on the bottom.

yea i was going to go with the 8610-1436's which are single adjustable (from the top)

i think the 8611-1257's are the same size but are double adjustable like you said

ok ordered the inserts last night from shox.com, should be here maybe monday or so

in the mean time here's a picture of the old cartridge for no reason at all

IMG_7786.jpg

The Konis work awesome, fit right in. Not absolutely perfect but they work nonetheless. Drove around on the car today and its tons better.

Once again Koni part # 8610-1436 RACE is the ones to get. Rebound adjustable from the top.

AND Im pretty sure these will work for REAR Jzx81 JIC's as well. Heard somewhere that the cartridges are the same for front/rear in these coilovers.

On these coilovers, they use the same exact insert for front and rear and I believe they were like either 11 1/4" or 11 3/4" long

as i stated earlier in your thread :)

Guest DuaxMachine

They are dimensionally the same.

You can get away with the Koni change over because they are adjustable.

The new JIC inserts I bought have stiffer dampening on the front.

i just got the inserts. will be doing the same. my only question is when you depress the shaft on the koni, are they supposed to extend back up by itself? mine don't

Guest DuaxMachine

Not sure on the new Yellow ones, but the old Red bodied Konis were non-presurized.

JDM Cress, they are not for any car, they are stictly aftermarket/competition inserts.

were any JICs made with an inverted shock? i suspect mine are. will i still be able to use this same koni shock? i gotta measure these.