Sign in to follow this  
Fredericks Balls

Intercooler Size

Im on the hunt for a FMIC and as I ain't gonna get one specific for the X81 i' being advised to get a GTR IC. So there are lots of different sizes, is there such a a thing as overkill with one or is it just to make sure its not too small?

E.G. 600mm X 300mm X 120mm thick. Thats near enough 5"".

Would a 3.5 - 4 inch thick IC do the job. Incase it make a difference it will be mounted upside down...

Just been offered a TRUST 600mm X 300mm X 90mm thick. At present im sure it would be fine but would they have a reachable limit (like 500hp)?

Thanks in advance

I'm no expert on finding the right size, but there is definately such a thing as overkill. If your IC is too big then you'll get much more lag than you need to due to the increased volume that needs pressurising.

I would take a good look at your car. Theres not a fucking whole lot of room up front on a JZX81 MARK 2. Figure out how you want to run your piping and measure how much room you have left. The Cressidas have a shit load more room up front then the Mark 2. Anything thicker the 3 inchs you will have to toss your A/C 4 inch is about the max thickness I would run. I am pretty sure mines 31x 12x3 and its not going to be a easy fit.

this thread is relevant to my interests. i have a spare intercooler i was thinking about running but its a little on the smaller side...

I have an evo X stock fmic. the way the pipes come out of the end tanks make my charge piping hella short, and it was free. i think it should do me good till like 400-450.

Thanks for the replies lads. The basis for my limited knowledge, is i figured the Driftworks Chaser is a good benchmark for info, given its level of tune, and that I know the new owner. He is going to measure it for me for an exact size, but I spoke to bon bon before and all he could tell me was it was a 4 inch thick GTR intercooler, mounted upside down to reduce pipework. Generally the "face size" is pretty much standard for most IC's so its really just the thickness.

100mm is about 3.5 inch...

Another reference was by a guy called Stavros. He was on here and he had the RB26 engined X81. It was purple. He was running a 5inch thick R32 GTR cooler upside down also...

I dont want to lose the aircon at the minute but I might chance the 3.5inch and see, if not i'll sell the fucker. $450 for a genuine mint TRUST intercooler sounds pretty ok to me...

running a larger core with much shorter piping is way more beneficial in my opnion. as long as you have the airflow (otherwise it's useless!).

other than the issue of whether ac will be in the way or not, an inverted 600x300xwhatever seems to be the ticket

Retaining the a/c complicates fmic especially with oem bumpers (jdm or usdm). You can't do the inverted shit, 3" is probably the max, and to fit it's got sit off center plus diagnal (f to r).

I finally ditch the fuckin ac all together. It's the lil canister that fucks up everything.

I'm now running a fat ass 4" fmic... Will invert when I find a 3" holesaw bit. I noticed a smoothing effect of having the bigger IC. It "feels" better. But since I've got the long ass piping I get some slight compressor surge now.

It doesnt run OEM bumpers and I dont mind chopping it up a bit if needs be to A) improve airflow and B) to help fit. I figure the diagonal bit will have to be the case as 300mm seems pretty tall at the front.

I want A/C to heat the car up more so than cool down, especially at 5am if i put on regular heating everything just fogs up. But also just for the comfort bit, my intention for the moment is to keep it as street spec as possible inside, until such a time comes where stuff HAS to go...

Ok just to bump this with another question please.

I am all set to get the 90mm thick intercooler but I have just been offered a TRUST 600x300 IC but 70mm not 90. (70 is roughly 2.7 inch) Is this a bit too thin? I had a good nosey around the car and even with the A/C pipes the 90mm cooler will JUST ABOUT fit...

Many thanks in advance