Hater

Is the w58 really that bad!?

So I dropped a w58 into my cressida almost a year ago and ever since then its had few problem. For one it would shift like shit, I would have to force it into first and it would almost always grind into reverse. So i figured since I was using the clutch slave that came with it from the junkyard it was 20 years old and probably the cause. So today I swapped it out for a oem one and it shifts better, dosnt grind gears and kicks a lot easier, but good lord this transmission is the clunkyiest thing Ive ever drivien. Down shifting to second seems easier on dump truck.

So before I go about the rest of the "updating" on the tranny I just wanted some input from people who have had experience with the tranny.

Also, I know I need an R154 but it seems futile to spend the money until the jz is in there.

R series trannys aren't much smoother, just stronger.

basically,

R Series = HIV

W Series = Full-blown AIDS.

Just to put things into perspective.

So what your saying is If i dont want to get any kinds of aids I need a V160 then? lol

supposedly.

but then again those dudes switch to th400 chevy auto trans...so lets keep this in perspective.

my w58 is doing fine for now but who knows when it will start acting up but yes the R154 is for sure stronger

Guest Push

w58 is a much smoother trans then the r154.

r154 has the first gear lock out that you are desciribng the w58 doesn't unless the one you have is on its last legs.

w58 is good for a while as long as you don't beat the living crap out of it. Fuck a V160 get a T56 trans. ;)

check your shifter bushings. what gear oil you using ? i threw in some mt90, got marlin shift seat and a brass insert for the shifter socket along with a new shift socket bushing. it use to clunk around before now it shifts pretty good. hell when the driveshaft seal leaked like a mother fucker and i drove on it with pretty much no oil for 2 months it shift fucken great ha.

Ive got the oem req fluid. Those are some good ideas, is the marlin stuff universal or is there a specific?

My Dub would never let me into first unless i was going <2 miles per our and reverse always grinded if moving any more than 0 miles per our lol! about to try out R

The first w58 I had in my cress use to be Angryslide's and he beat the crap out of it. I made it all of last years events and part of this years before it finally went out. They are fine if you get a clean one. One thing to remember is, they were never really taken care of back in the day. When you have a transmission that's 25 years old and 150k-200k on it and your putting twice the power to it as what it originally had to cope with, then you start to beat on it, of course it's not gonna last.

I have heard they work fine if you're pushing less than 360hp, but I dunno.

They ARE a lot cheaper than the R154..

get 2. Have one rebuilt and have it on deck for when the other dies.

repeat as needed.

I have a spare one brian gave me; I plan on rebuilding it and doing some minor upgrades. Shot peen the gears and main shafts, new syncros, maybe even modify to a semi dog style engagement.

I have heard a lot on both sides about the W58.

You can usually go through 3 or 4 W58's for less than a good R154 conversion.

This is true I paid $120 for the transmission from a local scrap yard. Shit thing was that it was a $50 core charge on it.