WhoreMouth_Jr

Clutchs!

Im trying to look for a decent clutch.

i get one 1j with an r154 and looking for something semi stuff that wont slip.

Ebay get those cheapos but i dont think they will last, and DM has a few.

im looking at the DM stage 2 right now

Just curious with what you guys run.

shoots

Jordan

lol stock 7m clutch and pressure plate with compclutch flywheel on my 1j with a w58 lol works fine for right now but i will be upgrading

i dont remember if mine is a XTD or Spec, i got it used for cheap cheap with pressure plate, flywheel, and a slave cylinder for like.... 200 i think it was. should last me at least long enough to get a grip on what the cars gonna drive like but i'll prolly need a new disc soon.

DM flywheel, spec stage 3, r154..

Holds fine. Not a bad daily either. I don't feel confident in beating the shit out of it though. I just don't trust oem style pressure plates and down shifting.

Oh yeah, heard a lot about and seen first hand... SPEC sucks.

are specs the ones that rattle hella bad and blow discs early?

Well, you're always gonna hear this and that. I heard pressure plate housing. This past year they "upgraded" their pp stuff so may be that kinda shit is no longer an issue. With that said my friends w58 stage 2 or 3 went to shit... The stamped pp housing and pp ripped away from each other.

R154 has a cast tuff as fuck housing so may be better off. But still don't down shift often cuz in my friends clutch those stacked things that connect the pp to the housing snapped in two. I'm not that smart but it really looks like hard down shifting would have caused them to bend and warp outa shape repeated till :pop:

Comp spec 2 with a Comp 13lb flywheel in an R154/1J. Clutch feels like stock, which is nice, but at the same time not cool. Doesn't feel like it'll take a shit load of abuse, but I guess we'll find out.

Spec stage 3+ was amazing on my last motor. It was the only clutch (1 oem, 1 XTD, 1 spec stage 2, 1 unknown, 1 stage 3 +) that didn't blow up due to an obscene amount of kicking.

I have an ACT HD 6 puck for the 1j... We'll see how it likes clutch kicks.

I swear by Japanese clutches. .

Used to run ORC 409D single clutch on my last car. (21lb total weight inc. flywheel) slightly heavy but it wasnt the #1 clutch in D1 for 2 years for nothing. Costs about $1100. . URAS 1JZ clutch is same thing. . converts from pull to push as well. .Which is nice for pulling the tranny. .

Running HKS GD PRO now. . light as FUCK pedal.. unbelievably easy to drive for an UNSPRUNG TWIN.. serio its like a stock clutch. .

Buddy had OS GIKEN twin. . heavy pedal but tough as fuck. .

G.

OS Giken single plate. Nice medium weight pedal feel and easy engagement.

canadians like beaver. bullyclutch.com stage 4 for 1jz/r154.

Bully clutches are AWESOME for stock type.. I've sold sooo many bullies. . We used to include them with our B-series honda swaps. . .. and their warrantee is fuckin awesome too.. had one guy break their roller bearing pressure plate into three pieces and they gave him a brand new one overnighted for free..

Frank is the man..

G.

HKS gd max twizzzzzzzzzzin!

Everything G said about his. Super good feel never lets go.

^^cuz the fucker weighs 40+ lbs....

This dude is lookin for cheap and effective. Super single 1k. Twin disk... Go driftmotion they want their customer satisfied. If my spec equivelant can hold my 2j, DM's shit'll be a tad better..

idk i called someone to ask if they still had their OS giken twin for sale still and he said he sold it already, and the reason he sold it was to buy a Competion twin plate(i think) he said they get more meat on the disks and are pretty cheap. you guys heard anything about that brand?

thanks for all the imput so far!

Guest DuaxMachine

Irrelevant to what engines/trans you guys are running, but here is my 7M/T56 clutch/flywheel.

5 lb. 7M Flywheel (custom by Quartermaster):

QuarterMaster2.jpg

Flywheel with auto flexplate (used for starter ring gear):

QuarterMaster3.jpg

Clutch, Quartermaster 8.5" twin disk:

QuarterMaster1.jpg

Guest DuaxMachine

Say, what ?

(christ, I spend half my life translating frigging Japanese auction texts, now I have to translte forum posts too?)

I've used TILTON clutch's before as well.. Metal Single. . Type-R with a few mods. . pretty deec. needed rebuilding fairly quick , and was finicky with pedal speed.. Could not release fast enough for the super quick shifts. would partially slip INTO gear. . But I know their Quad Carbon Setup is nutz. .

ATS Twin CARBON is by far the most awesome clutch ever. . (and the most expensive thing ever as well..) easy to drive.. light as fuck. . and cool as fuck. . Holds massive power and shit too. .

I was sceptical about my HKS when i bought it (used) but their shit is SERIOUSLY nice. . i thought it was gonna rev all slow and shit cuz it was way heavier (45lbs vs 21lbs) than my ORC. . nope.. thought it was gonna be super hard to drive. . Nope.. though it was gonna be noisy. . Nope.. in fact its almost on par with the ATS as far as streetability. . only diff being when the HKS gets slightly hot it gets a lot more aggressive. . (inherent in Metal clutches) and the ATS takes a LOT more to change the characteristics like. . Need to preheat it up to a pretty high temp in order to make it REALLY grabby. .

G.

Guest DuaxMachine
Hahahaha ...sorry. I figured since you are from Texas that I'd be familar to you. How much? ...he doesn't seem to wanna break the bank on a clutch kit.

I am originally from south Canada (Wisconsin), so 'no habla'.........

The Quartermaster clutch assembly was like $950, and the custom flywheel was $325.

I was running a super old ORC Twin Plate, Push Style, but that went after lots of abuse so got in contact with Clutchmasters and they got me a Push Style 850 Twin Disc race Clutch,

worked awesome for the last 2 DMCC events and a ton of practice events with lots of abuse, very very light pedal feel, little on the pricy side, but works great