Sign in to follow this  
Fredericks Balls

Weekend Hero

Thanks guys

Rear tyres are 225/40/18's

Interior is stripped and the cage is going in, hopefully it will be gracing Speedhunters this month so want it in and hopefully get the Intercooler fitted too...

Nice same sort of deal i had in my car front two seats nothing else and cage

i went to weld in

37713_10150220426725387_604225386_13786429_1143309_n.jpg

but running same setup just going to clean up rear with some alloy sheets as we have to in aust for cams safty but oh well should neaten it up a bit but im def running same sort of offset on the rear but maybe in 17s as my 17s tuck all ready rub a bit due to low

That looks good! Here are a few shots of the cage in progress! I plan to run all the interior, you can see how neat the rear bars are so that should be fine. Gotta chip away the sound deadening around the front bars and fit them tonight. Ill drill the floor for all the bars then take it out and clean it up, cut the carpet then put the cage in. I sold the gram lights cos the 17's were too small to run the car so low. It bottoms out as it is, the exhaust is getting raped. But then this shithole has pretty shite roads

38d4d542.jpg

4fd62d1b.jpg

48f5de2b.jpg

@Rayray: They would but i'd imagine there would be issues with rubbing everything! And i'm a staggered wheel fan so i'm gonna stick with 17's up front for now.

SO just to bring this up to date again. Front of the cage isnt in, I took it all out, cut the carpet, re-fitted the main hoop and rear section, adjusted it so it fitted perfect and bolted it in fine. When it came to the front the pillar bars weren't sitting identical. I had no drill that day to sort it and that night it snowed and it has been icy and snowy here since. But its cleared this weekend so I'm hoping i'll get it done this week. Got some new front pads from Toyota as I haven't gotten the GTR calipers yet and was amused to find they match the interior colour lol

742a03b9.jpg

So with all the snow and ice it gave me a chance to finally learn to slide, which was ideal considering it still has a standard clutch and isn't hugely powerful. Car was awesome, skidding it was so predictable and easy, but with the 10's it has bags of grip, even on ice.

Car got its first wash in six months ha

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Road tax is up in January so I might take it off the road for a couple of months to get some serious work done so I can finally get out to some grassroots drift days and maybe even comps

Whats wrong with the harness? They are bolted to the rear bench belt anchor points... I know higher up is better but I thought anything over 30% was safe? And I cant anchor any higher without putting something in to bolt the eyebolts to

Just to clarifty on the belt comments. Was it in reference to the amount of slack behind the seat? If so that was because I had been sitting in the back on them fitting the rear part of the cage. When im driving the car there is absolutely no slack at all.

Anywho, big weekend for me and the car. Kinda lol. As per my intro yonks ago, I've a lot of circuit racing, in karts and in single seaters. Never any drifting though (apart from karts on slicks in the wet and in the JZX in the snow etc.) This weekend is my first ever drift day. The JZX81's first ever drift day in my ownership and its also a competition not a test day!

Absolutely can't wait! I've had a groaning from the back like a wheel bearing, sussed it was the passenger rear, had it replaced this week. Boom. Still noisy. It could be the diff, dont think its box related becasue it sounds further back and if im driving and clutch it or take it out of gear it makes no difference. Diff isnt leaking though and locks/clunks as normal. Oil is new-ish too. The car drives perfect, just the noise is fucking annoying.

This is gonna be like a benchmark becasue afterwards it will be getting a slight makeover, have the Spec 3+ clutch out of the ex-DW chaser (this one is brand new, was fitted and did one rolling non drift lap and thats it) and matching flywheel ready to go in, and hopefully some other wicked stuff comming soon!

Tried the standard bumper on for size too, looked wank so its gone now!

IMG_1302.jpg

Wish me luck!! :)

Cool get ready for some weight transfers you will get use to it though

The problem with the harnesses is that you shouldn't have your shoulder belts any more than 10-20 degrees(depending who you listen to) from horizontal from the top of your shoulder. The angle between your shoulders and the rear lap belt points is too steep and you'll compress your spine and break your collarbones if you crash.

proper harness installation.

Install4CWeb.jpg

Harness bars are good because they add extra stiffness, back up your seatback, and allow you to use convenient mounting points like rear seatbelt holes by adding a pivot point to correct the angle (as long as they're properly designed and installed for your specific setup), or just allowing you to attach the harnesses to the bar.

168418d1235926229-kirkey-race-inc-brackets-i-o-port-racing-brace-5-point-harness-install-w-pics-48.jpg

I was reading your update about the carrier bearing. Sounds like you might have mounted it up-side down. Lucas did the same thing and it was hitting his exhaust. The noise you're hearing in the rear could be the bearing being pissed because it's at a slightly different angle. Just thought I would mention it and good luck!!!!

Really? hmmm, ok thanks, i'll check it out. If my memory is correct i thought the points that bolt onto the car were tapered so would only go one way, but maybe with the spacers.... I'll check that out, cheers. although the bearing has been on for 6+ months and the noise is only starting this past two weeks. Thanks again, i will check it out after work today.

Gutted the car last night, rear seats, spare wheel, toolbox, several other boxes of bits, drills, set of mats in the boot, boot interior, fucking singapore noodles from the shopping a few weeks ago lol, about 8 wheel braces, ecu's, radios, axle stands, ramps blah blah blah. Made some difference to the car, now handles like it did when it snowed a couple of months ago.

Anyway update after the weekend!

What a fucking weekend! Epic is the only word to describe it. I was shit but who cares.

The car held up pretty much spot on. Please take into account I have completed 12 seasons of motorsport between Karts and Single seaters but when I lined up for my first run on Saturday I had never done a handbrake turn, a donut, burnout or any drifting apart from in the snow. I didn't even know if the handbrake would lock or the clutch would hold up. At the first corner I quickly realised the handbrake was useless lol, so clutch raping was the order of the day. And to be fair it performed perfectly. I picked up a Spec 3+ with lightened flywheel from Chuck which is identical to what was run in the Driftworks Chaser so that will be a suitable replacement when needed.

After a half lap I was loosing Power Steering so transitions were almost impossible as it was practically locking the steering. Anyway later in the day I went out and gave it much more manfoot and it began to come together, I even ran 6 laps where I linked the whole track. At this point steering was more controlled with the throttle so the lack of steering wasnt really noticable...

Saturday night was very very messy, all the drivers went on the piss so after a long and messy night Sunday was a bit of a right-off lol, but fuck it I had a blast so I didn't mind. The car came away pretty ok, front bumper is fairly smashed but still in one piece, and the rear is marked from me tagging cones and tyres. So I need to sort the steering and get a hydro for the next time and i'll be good to go

I cannot wait for the next drift day!!

188259_1912865268119_1436530750_32221678_333039_n.jpg

And an amateur video taken. Spot the JZX montage at about 2.05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzhIeVbZuk0&feature=player_embedded

And to finish with the JZX90 at the event driven by Eoin, savage driver. He was trying to tag the container on every run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQoRWKHiyk&feature=player_embedded