Zale

Stalling when coming to a stop

Hey guys, Ive got another little problem with my car. Whenever I drive the car for 20+ mins, and the car heats up (doesnt do it at night), Ill be coming to a stop and the rpms will dip and sometimes the car stalls out. I usually I am in second and put it into neutral just before I come to a complete stop and the rpms will drop to below 500 and sometimes the engine will catch it self and rev back up and then fall to idle but Id say close to 50-60% of the time it stalls. Ive read that it could be because of and upgraded clutch? I have a twin plate ORC so Im not sure if that would do it. Any solution if it is my clutch doing it? Anybody had this trouble before or heard of something like it? Jst for reference, the motor is a 1JZ with a GT3037S turbo kit.... HELP!

From what Ive seen all boost and vac levels have been normal. Ill definitely keep a close eye on it next time it happens just to make sure.

i don't see how a clutch would cause stalling. also you're not mafs, so vac leaks wouldn't do this either. it's probably the idle air control valve, they are notoriously finicky on 1jzs. just adjust the throttle plate and this should stop.

i don't see how a clutch would cause stalling. also you're not mafs, so vac leaks wouldn't do this either. it's probably the idle air control valve, they are notoriously finicky on 1jzs. just adjust the throttle plate and this should stop.

Anybody know if there is an option under the Apexi Standalone to adjust fix this? Would a tune cure the problem or am I going to have to clean/replace the IAC?

Edit: I just looked up how much a new IAC is... let's hope I dont need to replace it. $708 :o

my car has been acting up too. when i coast downhill in gear while the engine is cold, it will do exactly the same thing and not want to hold idle when i come to a stop at the bottom of the hill. otherwise performs perfectly fine if i get on the gas. returns back to normal once i start up the car. otherwise never had issue with it when warm.

you could also try another water temp sensor in the waterneck. it's a possibility.

theres a way to fix it in the tune. you have to... iirc advance ....the timing where you want idle to be...600-800 rpm in the map. it will prevent this. my 240 is map sensor with NO IACV and it likes to stall at idle pulling up to stop lights or signs. i was meaning to do it to it...but im pulling the motor this week and ive got a spare iacv. just gonna hook it back up.

Fucking hell my car was pulling this bullshit randomly the other night but I know the water temp sensor needs to be changed. Was really trying to avoid spending the $80 on a new sensor casue the car was running fine once warmed up. Doesnt sound like my cars doing it as bad as yours though Zale my shits kinda just random. Funny I am running the same clutch too

Fucking hell my car was pulling this bullshit randomly the other night but I know the water temp sensor needs to be changed. Was really trying to avoid spending the $80 on a new sensor casue the car was running fine once warmed up. Doesnt sound like my cars doing it as bad as yours though Zale my shits kinda just random. Funny I am running the same clutch too

Hmm.... That is odd that youre running the same clutch. I guess we'll have to ask JimmyHoffa (I think thats the right username) once he gets his in and drives it cause I know he went with an ORC Twin too....

I really dont think its clutch related pretty sure Shawley has a ORC too I cant rember if his does it or not I will have to ask him only thing clutch related that could casue it i think would be the lighter flywheel might be too light in the ORC

He said his does it once in a while hardly ever.I am going to try seafoaming my car and adjusting the throttle body. I will see if cleaning all the carbon and crap out helps.

Now that my car runs, even though I haven't driven it yet it definitely does occasionally stall. And I do think it's because of reduced rotating mass. I'm not sure if it's the ORC twin plate and Driftmotion aluminum under-drive pulleys but my idle seems to be stable when I start the car (I'm not sure how high it's revving because my tach doesn't work yet) then drops and drops until it's barely turning over. It's died on it's own at idle twice, and afterr holding revs twice. It also seems like it runs on five cylinders occasionally for a few seconds at a time so I probably have more problems to deal with than too much reduction in rotating mass.

I cranked up my boost and started driving the car like it was ment to be it never stalled again.

Thats it, time to get my shit tuned proper.

My car has the exact same problem. I just change my clutch to hks twn plate and thats when it started. I have been told i need to get my car tune to cure this

problem.

My car has the exact same problem. I just change my clutch to hks twn plate and thats when it started. I have been told i need to get my car tune to cure this

problem.

mine used to stall exactly the same way when we first finished it, mainly as i approached lights. the idle/oil pressure would drop...it doesn't do it anymore, but we thought about adjusting/replacing the iac. it's got an act hd clutch but unless you've got a lightened flywheel, i don't see it being the reason.

Mine hasn't stalled since I actually drove it.. When I first started it up and was still blowing out the cobwebs it stalled a couple times, but since the ECU has had a couple days to learn, it's fine.

Maybe my motor is dying... Could my alternator be the cause of this? When my car is at idle and I put the windows up and sometimes even the signal lights will stall it out...

electronic loads (headlights, rear defroster, fans etc) will send a ELS signal to the ECU and the ECU kicks the IACV open a notch to compensate. I say just clean or get a new IACV and your stalling will stop.

Or do what I suggested a while ago and just adjust your throttle plate.

mine started doing this stalling shit this past 10 days when i was out in BC, Vancouver Island and Invermer. I'll have to see if it keeps doing it here back in Edmonton after i get it off the trailer

Brian, Ill do what youve suggested.

Shawn, let me know what happens when youre driving your car at home. Perhaps the altitude change and the fact that yours is tuned for Edmonton altitude made it do that?