Sign in to follow this  

So Ive been doing some thinking lately and I feel like a jce10 is a good choice and I'm on the fence about it. I'm sure you guys are well aware of my love for x8 so this is really hard for me.

I've found a jce10 blown up for $2500 and it's really tempting. I can pull out my 400hp motor and drop it right in and mods are cheaper than cressida and more plentiful which is good. The bad is it's kind of gay looking compared to x8 in that it doesn't have the hard gangster look. Def not a bank robber car like cressida/. The thing that's keeping me in x8 is the fact that I've been driving them for a while now and really love their character. They can handle well and I know mine can get even better. But I feel like IS has a "future" if you know what I mean.

Do any of you think about this ever? Any IS owners care to chime in on how much better/worse it is? If I do this it's gonna be full blast no pussy shit so I've gotta be sure.

Thanks brothers,

I've done a few events on my close to stock IS and I will say that it seems to have tons of potential. I think with more power and good suspension it would be awesome. It's easy to find legit parts for too.

I love driving this car and would be stoked to build it

.......... but Brian did sell it to get back in a x8.

i DO like the IS better overall.. but something about the cressida i just love. i love the way it handles and it's not a complicated car to work on. getting parts sucks, but it's rare to come across another cressida done up the same way. especially around here where it's saturated with imprezas, evos, 240s, 350s etc. i've seen the same old shit repeated over and over and it feels good to drive something a little different.

not to mention the simpllicity of the X8 over the xe10 in terms of electronics (probably not a big issue for you though). the IS feels a little porkier to me but that may just be in my head. not sure of the actual weight differences

i think all that matters is that whatever platform you choose, just make it sick. there's a lot of half-assed shit in the lexus community with bs fuel systems and other bs upgrades. show'em how it's done right if you go the lexus route. the IS has a lot of potential, but you don't see too many competing or being DRIVEN. there's probably more cressidas in amateur drifting than IS300's despite the parts availability difference

I owned Micheal's now current IS300 for almost 4 years. I put almost 80K on it, drove the PISS out of it, drifted it, ran various wheels, pulled the motor, changed the trans, pretty much turned every bolt/screw on that thing.

You'll immediately feel the X heritage in the car when you drive it. Its a X no matter how many L badges toyota put on it. If you notice its the ONLY Toyota Lexus has ever sold... From the brakes, steering, suspension, and chassis feel you will swear you are in a X. Hell the moonroof and map lights are taken straight from a X8. Front suspension is identical as x90/100, rear suspension is unique to the jce/xe10, but its similar to other X cars in approach. You already know all this.

The chassis is solid, the interior is solid, you'll love how the rear windows roll ALL the way down. The steering is badass with a 14.8:1 ratio and a 2.5 TTL. Most have torsen already, and the diff is mounted like it fucking should be (aka not x8). The car has a tendency to oversteer too much, so in drifts you will have to be quick with the wheel work, but it slides so nice.

Anyway, you will love the car, as a X fan it's perfect in every way. The more you work on it, the more you drive it, the more you love it. From the little I know of you Mark, you will appreciate the engineering in the car, the improvements over the Cressida - things you would have done exactly yourself, like Toyota knew it as well.

To be perfectly honest the only thing that kills the fun in the car is that god damn etcs-i throttle, and having to turn the traction control off every time you drive it. It's hella sensitive. But you will fix all that with the swap.

I ONLY sold my car because I owed $7k still for it, I didn't want the $400/mon payment anymore (my loan was for 20K), insurance is expensive for them (at least in Arizona), and you have to battle emissions with them here. Any swap would cause headaches in this state, and I didn't want to tear a car apart that I still owed $7K for. So I figured I'd sell it, cash out the little equity I had in it and buy a Cress so I could calm the major mod itch I had.

I miss the car, dearly. But I'm happy with my Cress though, so it's bitter sweet.

IS300_dec06_gasstation.jpg

Forgot about this pic: Toyotafest 2008

3gen_x_chassis.jpg

I definitely want to get rid of the e throttle, as it does suck ass. Especially with a good clutch.

and Brian, the best part about Crappy Grande is I don't have emissions here :D .

I definitely want to get rid of the e throttle, as it does suck ass. Especially with a good clutch.

and Brian, the best part about Crappy Grande is I don't have emissions here :D .

That is soooo true... If it ever did get emissions I would register in SV, or pay someone some $$$$ to make it pass.

I want to say rock the shit out of the IS.

Just so long as you still drift it. I would hate for you to shy away from drifting because you are worried about hurting your car.

justin I would never hold back if I was in an IS. Everything is fixable. The only reason I hold back a little nowadays is because I dont have money to fix things and I have no daily. I drive fucking project filthy every goddamned day! But if I do this I'm gonna go all in. Get an fx16 or soemthing and not worry a bit about the IS. It's easier to fix than cressida.

And brian thanks a lot I really appreciate your inshight. I drove one yesterday and youre totally right.

the IS are pretty fun to drive as i've test drove some in the past. give it a try and if you dont like it you can always go back to the x8. i can relate on the x8 having charachter as theres always something that brings me back to one

The worst part about drifting the IS has to be the screwed up rear geometry and roll center. The rear has no feel and feedback is minimal. Look up the hks altezza builds and see how much they changed the rear setup.

the x8 does have some charm. why i went back to a x8 and not something else.

i kinda know where you're coming from. at first the IS feels too (semi-pre-riced) a bit too fanboy when you look at it (fuck i ended up taking a yellow one because it was a cheap repo) but that washes away pretty fast.

another problem is the general image (especially online) all of the top IS related forums are chock full of retardation. everyone expects you to have zero camber with your "camber kit", 19" rimz in +90, brand name body 'kit'. black headlights, halo rings, black tailights... there's no hiding the general consensus of IS300 owners are total ricers. but I think the fun of that fact is just not letting that bother you. just pretend it's an x8 and it'll look great, fuck their stupid ideals.

it IS really reliable, decent for everyday driving because of the age, it's not that complicated from what i've seen so far. and it's really similar to most JZX (probably closest to the 110 imo)

it is the closest thing to a new cressida in every aspect, period. driving, feel, weight, wheel sizing, lowering, engine swapping. etc.. just make it look the way you want and forget about it, it drives great from the inside, what else matters.

i love mine, i'm planning on buying a gs400 to do an engine exchange and sell the gs400 as a gs300.

apr4_09_5.jpg

Thats food for thought.

With prices coming down maybe people with better taste can start breaking the stigma of ricey lexus owners.

get it, drive like a maniac.

Other than the above, maybe talk to AJ (he's on ZT). It's the only one I've seen that really looks good. And it looked extra good sideways. He didn't seem to have too much trouble drifting it and aside from appearances, it was relatively stock.

dd23_174.jpg

dd24_058.JPG