Mats

Ebrake drum pads

OK guys been getting this weird chatter when trying to lock up the e brake and pretty damm sure its because my ebrake pads are toast. Anyone know if they are the same as a north american car? I tried searching and was not successful.

They're the same as JZX100 and JZX81 (MX83).

As far as the chatter goes, that doesn't sound like toast pads because mine are down to the metal and I have no chatter.

It could possibly be the little spring clips came undone or are missing, because those keep the pads from moving side to side.

Pull your rotor off, I'm sure the problem will be extremely easy to spot.

its really weird because last year never made that chatter. and the start of the last drift day it didnt chatter and towards the end it was starting and now playing around with the car i notice its getting worse. i was changing things up last track day and was trying to get used to ebrake so i was initiating with it every time. i just assumed that I killed the pads. Whats happening is the driver side wheel locks instantly while the passenger locks and then starts to chatter. when i look at the marks down on the road you can see lock, unlock,lock,unlock on the road. so i was guessing the pads are getting toast and cant seem to bite hard enough. Is this possible? when i remove rotors i will double check subframe bolts and all suspension arms to be safe.

Also for rear pads its the same as say 90 cressida?

89-92 Cressida and up.

The only way I know that is because the Project Mu rear shoes fit X81, X90, X100. All the same part number.

go in there and look at the pads?

i have a complete set of 4 new mx83 ebrake shoes sitting around if you want to compare them to yours, pm me if you wanna do that, you can drop by this week and borrow them if you want.

i've had that "chatter" before as well coming from the rear drums. it was more of a rattling/squeaking in my case. if your wheel doesn't turn freely by hand and "catches" you might need to check your drums

when i took mine apart, i found out my spring retainer (looks like a washer with a recessed slot that holds the pin head) had gone mia and the pin that holds the spring retainer was loose inside, catching everynow and then. i ordered new springs and retainers from toyota. recommend replacing soon as it could cause premature wear on the pads. the brake shoes should still function, but without the retainer and spring, the shoe is free to move within the drum and cause it to rub against the inside face of the rotor. the springs and retainers just keep tension on the shoes to keep them in place.

they can be a pita to replace but easy to do if you've done drums before. parts weren't expensive at all, but not sure if x8 uses same spring/retainer/pins as x9

i did more testing yesterday and both wheels lock up. you can see on the marks that it puts that the wheels are hopping. im guessing my bushings in reart end are toast. i didnt have time yet to open up the drum brakes but i have a feeling its the bushings moving around.

anyone know where i could get some project mu ebrake pads to my door by no latter then wednesday night?