Sign in to follow this  
Zale

Batteries

Whatre you guys running for batteries for your 1J? Mine just punked out on me and Im looking to get a new one. Any suggestions? Pros, cons, experiences? I know batteries arent as exciting as new suspension or what not, buuuuut....?

Optima red top since 07... These things awesome so much... Lighter, smaller, and no danderous water shits to refill.

I know that there are some other kinda batteries for race that are tiny... G is running one

That's waht was I was thinking. I knew Optima was a good battery but you guys have confirmed that that's waht Im going to get. Thanks!

ive had 2 optima yellow tops and both were brand new and died on me in less then 2 years for each of them so now i just buy regular batteries.

i've been using a PC925 Odyssey for a long time. they were blowing them out at home depot for $199cdn but i bought the last one. they don't have a big CCA but the one I put in my previa started that thing in -30C without any trouble, and they're seemingly as strong and dependable as Odyssey says they're supposed to be over the last 2 years.

optima is cool because it is easier to fit into a typical car without much hassle, and they're easy to pick up at common stores. I don't have any experience with them though.

Miata battery from autozone. Works decent for the location.

I would like to get an optima if i ever relocate it.

actually, i just had a look at my batt and it's a redtop! haha not a yellow.. i keep forgetting for some reason... probably because i never see it unless i have to jump someone's car

Ran the tiny oddysey race batt for two years.had no problems whatsoever starting and running my car. .

. . then let it sit for 6 months. . fuck . . dont do that to any gel batt's. toast. .

Stepped up to Kinetik Racing cell this year

khc800new.jpg

http://www.kinetikracing.com/ . . got the next size up from the tiny its like almost a civic battery size. . specs here. . http://kinetikaudio.com/hc800.asp (racing batt is exact same as audio cell but red instead of blue..) its mounted on its side vertical fits perfectly in the front left corner behind the headlight with a trimmed battery tray. for tons of IC piping room. . .

Bought a CTEK us 3300 charger/maintainer as well to fuckin keep it tip top cuz i dont always drive it. . http://shop.1asecure.com/prod.cfm?ProdID=3...3&StID=9217 you guys with optima's should get these. . If an optima (any gel cell) batt drops below 10 volts for extended periods. . its fucking done. . period.

G.

hey man, same thing happened to my odyssey, i was told to hook it together with another battery (hook up a charger to the odyssey, then hook the odyssey to a regular battery at the same time while charging) I forget why this works, but that is the procedure to recharging them when they go flat. worked fine for me, i've got 2 pc925's.

so charger + lead to odyssey + term to other battery + term?? and same for - terms? ive got one that i swear is dead. same with my oldmans optima redtop...

The CTEK charger (any of the higher models) has a function to trickle charge a flat batteryany battery inc. gels. .We've done a few of them. . BUT will only work sometimes.. We have lots of customers that fuck red tops up and want their money back. . We're like sorry. .

G.

jason, mats; you hook up the gel battery you want to try and save like you're charging it.. then hook a nice normal battery to the gel battery as if the normal battery is a charger. it has something to do with the gel battery refusing the charge, but the normal battery takes it, and somehow it forces the charge into the gel battery.

it's worth a try.

and yeah, some good high end shop chargers have a function that pretty much emulates this setup, what G is doing is probably about the same thing, the charger is 'fooling' the battery likely using the same kind of thing.

Not a high end shop charger.. A tiny mobile unit that does the same thing and more. . its only $69

CTEK-56-158lg.jpg

This is the breakdown of what they do.

ctek_comp.jpg

G.

Guest DuaxMachine

PC925 Odyssey.

Been in the car for a year now.

Stars my 10.5:1 cr 7M with ease.

Weighs half as much as a normal battery.

Can be mounted in any position.

And it survives me leaving the parking lights, and the ignition on at night meets.

(to show off the electronics in the Great White)

fuck all that exotic crap. interstate civic battery. done.

im using the POS battery i got with the car that sat for 2 years with running sound system off of it and 2 electric fans. starts up fine. ha. Free ftw ?

im using the POS battery i got with the car that sat for 2 years with running sound system off of it and 2 electric fans. starts up fine. ha. Free ftw ?

who made it?