Mats

1JZ Timing Belt

Timing belt is Mitsubishi CD147. Yes it works. For 2.6l 1990 Trooper.

Shine a light through the spark plug hole and look at the intake and exhaust passages for light, or fill the passages with carb cleaner and see if the level drops, or put a fog machine on it, or do a compression/leakdown test.

Think I saw a billet tensioner or some shit on ebay but I am too lazy to look for the link

tensioners do break.. those billet ones on ebay will cost you a nut but seem to work. buddy of mine runs one. buggers are like $300 or some shit

well after talking to many people, it seems that harmonic vibrations are killing it. Ive gone ahead and ditched the aluminum crank pulley from driftmotion for an ATI dampened pulley and also got a chromoly idler pulley. Hopefully that resolves that.

my b. i thought it was a 4.6. that did seem huge for a 4 cyl but the right size for the truck.

anyway yea good move on the ATi.

have you driven with the BC cams yet? im pretty set on getting them, injectors, ATi and a tune by the end of this summer.

my b. i thought it was a 4.6. that did seem huge for a 4 cyl but the right size for the truck.

anyway yea good move on the ATi.

have you driven with the BC cams yet? im pretty set on getting them, injectors, ATi and a tune by the end of this summer.

I'm hoping that resolves my issues. Only thing that worries me is if I have another issue that was causing those idler pulleys to break and now if I replace it with stronger pulley, what's going to be the next weekday point?

As for driving with the cams, I managed to do roughly 6 laps at the gumball3000 demo last week and wow!!!!! Power is super nice! I would definately recomend BC 264 cams to all 1jz owners.

Dunno how much you guys are paying in the states , but here the 1JZGTE Timing belt kit for sells for $ US 180.00

Timing Belt , Tensioner Bearing , Auto Tensioner , Water Pump , Cam seals x 2 and Crank Seal , all Genuine Toyota parts .

I used an 88 isuzu trooper 4 cyl but it wasnt a 4.6 l thats rediculiously huge for a four banger i bought one for a 2.6. i counted the teeth and the old and new belt were both gates and had 137 teeth on both. belt worked perfectly. exactly the same size.

Guest tougeattack

I am in the market for a belt at the moment. Would any TB147 timing belt work? Seeing how it just means how many teeth are on the belt, just curious.

I got mine for 18.36 at shmucks o'smeilleys.

the hks is purple which is like 50hp or something. and they will hold up to some big cams. better to be over prepared and they are not too expensive

I like the GReddy, it is way more flexable than the Gorilla-NazKar-Gates.

I think Gates thought that the belt drove the trans, not the cams.

I can speak from experience, the cheap Bando Isuzu application belts that Driftmotion sells, have a slightly different pitch, so your cam timing is off like a degree and a half.

Was that the problem?

No, I had crap octane gas, but my Bando belt would not let me align the timing marks perfectly on my VVTi.