Sign in to follow this  
JimmyHoffa

Doriboat JZX73

Guest JoooeOne

if you ever need some help with the ms3x let me know i got my car runing with it yesterday.

i will be tuning it next week not on a dyno but on the road and street

Holy Fuck. 5 years since an update. I'm a piece of shit. I guess I have the excuse of being a dad, renovating my house, starting a business, and soon to be repeating the renovations and dad again thing.

This year I've changed my turbo. It's still a Holset, but I've upgraded the compressor side to a 62.5mm inducer HX40-Super billet compressor wheel and housing from Turbo Lab of America. It still spools to 18psi just before 3k rpm, but should flow enough to make upwards of 600whp and make good power to redline.

I finally got my digidash tach working, first time it's worked since I pulled the 5M in 2009. It was fully a waste of time since it's blocked by a gauge pod, but it was on the to-do list...

Put in a giant aluminum Mk3 supra rad from ebay. My 32 year old stocker never gave me any problems with overheating but the top tank split last year.

Hooked up the knock sensors to my megasquirt pending a dyno day booked July 14th.

Bought Xcessive Engineering poly engine mounts, should be installing them this weekend. Last year I took my car to the drag strip to do some shakedown runs and the 32 year old stock floppy-dick rubber mounts drove me nuts. I managed to run 13.3 @ 109mph with 2.02 60ft. No traction, but once I manage to hook it goes.

I'll try to get some pictures posted, and a video once I get it on the dyno, but maybe it'll be another 5 years...

Thanks Bill.

I spent 14 hours wrenching yesterday to get ready for dyno day this coming Friday. No pictures, I was too frantic trying to get shit done.

-Changed engine mounts to Xcessive poly mounts. I kind of regret not getting the 65 shore Poly. It feels great overall, but at idle the 80 shore transmit a bit too much vibration to the chassis for my liking.

-Changed old floppy rack bushings to Xcessive delrin bushings. Also removed the steering damper. Steering feels like a whole other car. Steering feel reminds me of my AE86 a bit.

-Wired up my knock sensors, sadly my settings are just way too broad, or I've got a bit too much unshielded wire length near the ECU because it's picking up knock ALL THE TIME if the engine is running.

-Oil change, checked diff lube, etc.

Still need to do a compression test and leakdown to be sure everything is happy and healthy before I go thrash it hard on the dyno.

-Wired up my knock sensors, sadly my settings are just way too broad, or I've got a bit too much unshielded wire length near the ECU because it's picking up knock ALL THE TIME if the engine is running.

-Oil change, checked diff lube, etc.

You should try a Bosch sensor, part number 0-261-231-006.

Doesn't pick up as much engine noise as the old screw-in Toyota sensors, because it picks up a narrower frequency range.

Used on many Nissans & Euro cars these days.

If you have the big 12mm (?) threaded holes in the block, use the special stud to mount the Bosch sensors.

Toyota stud, p/n 90126-08046

^ gordon proving to be the most helpful member of jzxp is making my monday.

Haha shit, I typed up a similar response without the part numbers and forgot to hit send again. I'm also running a pair of the Bosch knocks. They are pretty quiet until actual knock is being detected. Unfortunately they will require harness adjustment as well I believe they are two wire where as OEM Toyota are only one.

Make sure you or your tuna configure them, cause my first tuna had no idea wtf he was doing and it cost me a bottom end. (Only had it reading off of 1 of the 2 and the one that was setup wasn't even right so it wasn't showing any knock)

Gordon, my understanding was the Bosch 2 wire ring style sensors were "wideband" so they would pick up a broader frequency range than the stock Denso resonant sensors that are tuned to pick up only the knock frequency created by an engine with a specific bore diameter.

The sensor suggested by DIYAutoTune (where I get all my megasquirt parts) suggests 0-261-231-008 . Do you know the difference between the 006 and 008?

I'm definitely down to give them a try, and thanks for that stud PN. It'll save me time because I won't have to machine it myself. As usual, the old timer is the most useful one in the room when it comes to the hard questions...

Dyno'd last weekend. Fucking heartbreak.

394whp and 425 ft/lb at 20psi on a Mustang MD800

I was hoping to at least break 400whp. After I sort out some suspension stuff the next step is to upgrade turbine wheel and turbine housing to flow more.

Be careful with those shifts haha. I break everything while shifting like an asshole from first to second

Hard on clutches, but clutches are easier to find than stub axles, or diff output shafts.

I don't see that helping in a positive way to the main purpose I built the car (To be a drift-tard.) And currently rocking a excedy twin plate so currently I think diff output shafts are eaiser to find, but 1 off stub axles on the other hand =(

More importantly how's it holding up Brian

So far so good. I have no traction in first, second, and if I shift too hard into 3rd it'll break loose a bit. I usually tend to shift like the trans is made of glass (which parts of it basically are). Boost by gear is working well. When I want, I can have traction in all but 1st gear. I've got most of my ECU settings really well dialed so driveability is great. Startup is flawless, idle is smooth, it's never run better.

I've got a track day booked August 26th and am trying to get out to the local drag strip to see if I can get into the 12s finally.

Time for better/larger tires...

Time for better/larger tires...

That's when I'll start really breaking driveline parts...