Sign in to follow this  
MiniBoomer

slow, crappy rhd build.

i started a build thread (ha yeah right) on another forum so i figured i'd put one here as well. back story on the car is a local guy cut half a firewall out of a jzx81 clip and welded it into a '91 cressida using the steering rack, steering column, dash bar(i think), dash pad, and all that good stuff. that guy wound up selling it to this guy i know. apparently at some point in the middle the car was running on a 7m harness and ecu (n/a 2j) and the 2nd owner took that off and ran the original sc300 2j ecu. so after going over to this guys house and sitting out in his backyard where the car was smoking blunts a few times i got him to sell it to me. and here it is. anyways so as not to bore the shit out of you guys i'll let the pictures do the talking.

when i first got the car

l_a9f13c4d500b4588bcd6a5f3ee3ce6f5.jpg

l_ef246cb71ed84fd4b6b76177b0913a07.jpg

l_f0dd7e6850a948b39abf9b05865f86ec.jpg

l_c9df9647b66049e09c486a65bc3cd519.jpg

toyota paseo clutch pedal and master lol let me know what you guys think. pretty fucking ghetto but i don't see why it wouldn't work. had to hack off the upper and lower pedal bracket mounts and re-drill the firewall. i also need to weld in a gas pedal mount. and i need a much shorter throttle cable. might try and snag one off a rhd jza70 clip or something and see if it will work.

l_45ec1d273aeb42a3a7c1bd6b72789e71.jpg

l_f2488188baeb4945bcab0b69a9c54d20.jpg

l_5eac3d5520ea4669bb2ed6e32eedc428.jpg

l_398918b8f48648e4a4651848652a8cae.jpg

l_58a2c473baf147fcb955d75bac0aae57.jpg

since then i started un-wrapping the dash harness and tried stretching it a bit to get the gauge cluster plugs in the right spot but i think i'm gonna wind up having to cut and extend it in certain places. anyways, thoughts? criticism's? racial slurs?

i started routing and plugging in the 7m harness, looks a little better now after i ziptied it in a few places before i re-wrap it.

l_064297206015417388c7f45577b9e260.jpg

7m harness on the 2j.

l_a6c9d10138a24b58aae74934b7dbcb35.jpg

shit plugs in homie

l_41bccc4d7cf24f6e837aed9ecbe5497c.jpg

jzx81 front calipers and rotors

l_7b1e66f1f2d949e0be49910c85c8f80a.jpg

jza70 hood chillin on it (hood bolt holes are off)

l_e6478fdba8a149a9bdebb0a0362102a5.jpg

7m maf and airbox (thanks miles)

l_55d5508558fa4a6ca49d204cfca7b52d.jpg

n/a 7m auto ecu.

seriously thinking about running a w58 from a mk2 supra as they're pretty common around here and cheap. r154's are neat but i'm a broke ass. and believe it or not the 2j came out of a factory manual sc300 with 70k miles on it.

always wanted to do the rhd conversion. i had the oppurtunity to get the dashboard, but then i would of had to source out everything else...o well.

anyways.....DUDE, i got a clutch & brake pedal out a jzx81 chaser. got a clutch master cylinder too(has a heat shield on it).....pm me an offer if your interested.

daniel

no shit? thats awesome. i actually just sent you a pm about that steering wheel lol. i'm def interested in those, hit me back in a pm on what you'd want for em or atleast a starting price cause i suck at parts prices that aren't s13 shit.

The throttle cable that your looking for with probablly the perfect length is a 88 camry. I have one on my 1jz swapped Cressida and it's about 12" too long so it would be perfect for a rhd.

Kinda cool. I want to see this come together clean.

but you lost me with the supra hood.....?

5:1 odds this car doesnt ever run again.

As a forum of people trying to help eachother out, I don't think this is any sort of encouragement. How long have you been working on your car? Is it done yet?

We need to encourage others here to get their cars done and help out where we can, because we are all here for that purpose!

thanks for sticking up for me, but i'm used to it. truth is i didn't finish my last few projects, but i'm really trying to get this finished, plus i've learned a lot more and have more hands on experience now than i did then. although i have to say i'm a gambling man and i'll take those odds lol.

ive had my x8 cressida since 04-2006. ive had my 1j since 01-2005.

no its not done. its finally getting close to being what id call "started".

speaking from experience (taking me this long to get to where i am at+being involved with cressida toolbags since 2003) i think i was generous going 5:1. i could probably safely say 10:1.

picking up where someone else trashed it and bailed is retarded.

heres some encouragement:

i encourage you to sell that heap for scrap and get a complete running chasis to start with. youre in florida. get a fucking jzx90.

I get what your saying, it's just from what I've experienced throughout my days of building cars is, sometimes it takes you longer than expected, and nothing ever really goes to plan. If you want to make it happen though, it's all on you. I mean I did my 5-speed conversion(had to pull motor twice) coilovers and Supra diff install in about a month, took it to the first track event with the car and rod knocked the 7m 10 minutes into the event. I then had to do a 1jz swap with a friend and got that done in a month of working on it after my job so alot of it is dedication. Maybe I've been fortunate with my builds but the way I look at it is, if you spend a decent amount of money on parts for your build, what's the point of looking at them on the shelf! I did that with my AE86 and it's still just a rolling shell 3 years later, which will turn into being parted out! Fuck people, let's get our cars done :)

see thing is, i ain't got much else to do haha. i got a cushy ass reliable daily (y33), a boring easy ass job, and time, time, time. as long as the blunts keep rolling so will the car haha.

ummm... you seriously think rhd is that cool? I don't even want to know how much $$$ your going to spend on this.

I'd rather convert a real jzx81 to lhd...

it's not that i think rhd is that cool, it's more the fact that it is what it is. and i don't see how it's gonna cost me a ton of money. i mean it will cost me some for the dash and center console pieces but my friend in japan right now is bringing them back for me.

this car isnt that far off from being done, it just needs some TLC.

i got my x january 12th of last year. and it took me a year and a week to get it where it is now lol it takes time, and alot of money, but its so fucking worth it in the end.