7MX63

MX63 7MGTE swap

I have an '84 MX63.

I already converted it to a W58.

I had a custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust made to compliment the header.

I blew the 5MGE, and I bought a 7MGTE.

Goal is 300hp, nothing excessive, no flashy engine bay; just a clean look that appears OEM.

It's pretty cool. I like it. I haven't seen one done before.

(Photoshopped to show ride height and wheels only)

side03.jpg

engine bay cleaning:

before:

Eng-Bay-Before.jpg

and after:

Eng-Bay-After.jpg

Plan is to get it done by December (and broken in) so I can take it to the D1 at Irwindale. I wanna drop it in the car show; just to see what kind of reaction I get. Plus, Asian girls in California are hot.

Plus, Asian girls in California are hot.
What planet are you on?????

Asian girls every where are hot, get it striaght.

Hell I don't know about that. I've seem some pretty poor specimens here when compared to California.

the toughest part is the front end. The big crash bumper doesnt leave much for intercooler/radiator flow. I want to remove it altogether, but am limited withh options otherwise.

I can either

A) Use the crash bumper, but cut vents in it.

B) Mold a custom airdam.

C) Use a JDM Celica Liftback bumper (See pic below)

I like C, it's pretty interesting to look at in Photoshop; but my heart is withh the blocky style. Maybe an early 3 series BMW front air dam will work.

chrome-front-bumper.jpg

^ that could come out really cool. If you're good with metal you could do some old school stuff to it. I think maybe a straight airdam, or something from a 510 or something could work out real nice.

Yeah, I try to remember any cars I see withh a similar body style so I can look them up online. I really like the look of the chrome bumper, it just seems weird when I see all that curvy chrome and then some big square headlights. My brain keeps telling me I'd have to convert it to some cool round headlights to make the front end look right.

So far I have been looking at stuff for:

Volvos

BMW 3 series; possible 5 series (mid 80's)

Datsun 510

'84 Maxima

Front cut of an 85 Cressida (middle of the fender well forward)

I have also thought about using foam blocks to shape my own airdam, then making it out of fiberglass.

But at this stage the front is the least of my worries. I just want to get the motor built, nice and detailed. I think the custom suspension is what is really going to kick my ass.

Looks good. If you need any help just let me know. We're in the same town.

suspension is easy.

its just knowing where to find the information on what youve got to do is difficult.....

Cool, thanks Brian. I have heard a lot about your car from some of the az240sx guys. Some of the times that I skipped going to the Scottsdale pavillions were nights that you were there; so I was kinda bummed. But I heard a description from someone that your turbos sound like they are going to suck up little kids that get to close.

Anyways.

Regarding suspension, I was at the Toyota junkyard yesterday and finally took a good look at suspension on the MX63, MX83, and MA70. After seeing the suspension on the MX83, I am curious as to how well it fits on my car. If even close; I may be able to use the after market Chaser stuff for it. Which mean I can get better brakes and 5 lug. It looks really similar, but "really similar" could mean weeks of fabrication and untold amounts of money.

youre making it way too hard on yourself. importing parts is a pain in the dick and takes weeks and weeks and months and months.

next time youre in a junkyard look at an ae86 and 240sx

youre making it way too hard on yourself. importing parts is a pain in the dick and takes weeks and weeks and months and months.

next time youre in a junkyard look at an ae86, ra60 celica and s13...if you want 5 lug (no idea why...cheap attractive proper fitting used wheels abound for 4x114) look at an s14.

Yeah I could care less about 5 lug. I already know that 4-5 lug conversions are all but pointless for me. I just want nice suspension; I don't want to settle for "Nice shocks and lowering springs"

F that. I want something a bit more up to par withh where I plan on taking the car. Importing would be a good idea, if I knew exactly what would fit, it didn't take months, and wasn't semi-shady.

Importing would be a good idea, if I knew exactly what would fit, it didn't take months, and wasn't semi-shady.
anything you import withh exception to maybe steering whels or something like that, is going to be a questionable thing when importing from japan.

I have seen the early JDM Chaser, and it looks really neat. Unfortunately I think it has almost nothing in common withh the USDM one. All the body panels appear to be different. It doesn't matter though; because I am completely happy withh my cars look other than the huge crash bumper up front.

This weekend will involve priming and painting some rust where the battery was located. Hopefully I can install the front wire harness if I get it cleaned and re-wrapped by then.

Mostly I've been sandblasting and cleaning small parts. I'm glad my old man bought that sandblast cabinet. It's big enough to fit wheels in and has paid for itself many times over.

I found some really sweet brake kits, but they are made for 16" and 17" wheels, whereas I was going for 15". It says they're made for Celica Supras 80-85, but it should fit my Crashida also.

Details from 935motorsports.com:

Precision Brakes Company Brake Kit:

310mm x 32mm 2 piece rotors

Willwood Dynalite 4 piston calipers

Caliper brackets

Mild or aggressive street pads

Hardware and instructions

16" Rims Required, $1,150 Retail Price

Not too shabby.

you know it's probably not too bad getting 300zx brakes fitted on your car as well, i'm sure you could get it done for half that cost with the right rotors and some custom brackets. and you *might* even be able to run 15's *might*.

Yeah, I may look into that also. I really want to use those Konig Rewind wheels, they have such a cool old-school look to them. Unfortunately they are still only available in 14" or 15" sizes.

I just know that brakes would probably be a good idea withh whats going in my car.

get some deep ssr formula 16's man, that would also look rad if 15's are a problem. foooly slammed on 16x9's that would work. :D zokusha style 8)