Sign in to follow this  
Mats

Oil Thermostat for oil coolers

ok guys ive been doing some looking around and starting to slowly peice together a custom filter relocation withh oil cooler. seems that all i can find that fits 1J has no thermostat for oil cooler. this car is my DD and also my weekend drift/track car. is a thermostat really necessary?

i was in the jeg's catalog today and they have a piece that goes withh a oil filter reloc kist thathas an internal them that allows oil to get rerouted to a cooler at 165 or some preset temp and when it cools it goes back to the normal route back to the block.

that would be jeg's 555-51712

but that one is a filter sandwich plate style mats.

yeah ill be doing filter relocation at teh same time so doubt itll work :( i guess ill keep looking around and worse case ill just rock it withh no thermo and hope for the best!

no use the jegs thing along withh ur filter relocation kut. when hot it will take oil throug cooler then return back to the adaptor to go to the filter which then sens it back to the engine

I ran a filter relocator and ran it to a giant FC oil cooler. didnt have any problems with it, As long as you let the puppy warm up before you start beating on it, you'll be ok . Maybe even run a thinner oil too if your really worried about it...

FC oil coolers have a thermostat in the actual cooler.....you DO need a thermostat unless you dont like rod bearings

I personally watched a friends car rod knock because of a un-thermostated oil cooler lol

i dont know exactly what causes it, but im sure at some point, the oil gets too thick and cant flow very well in the small tolerances of the motor.

i could be wrong, but as far as i know, you NEED a thermostat in your oil cooler. period.

FC oil coolers have a thermostat in the actual cooler.....you DO need a thermostat unless you dont like rod bearings

I personally watched a friends car rod knock because of a un-thermostated oil cooler lol

i dont know exactly what causes it, but im sure at some point, the oil gets too thick and cant flow very well in the small tolerances of the motor.

i could be wrong, but as far as i know, you NEED a thermostat in your oil cooler. period.

Really it has one inside? how does that work, its at the inlet or something? I know they have big end tanks...

ok ill put my info in. the sandwich plate wont work oil flows in the wrong direction. so you need an oil filter adapter plate, and external oil thermostat and a filter base. heres some pics of mine (i have 1j):

filter adapter base:

blockmount1.jpg

filter base:

filter.jpg

oil thermostat:

thermostat.jpg

than choose what ever oilcooler you want to run, just remember you can OVERCOOL your oil so be aware of that.

haha ya, i didnt feel like explaining it on here so i just made a picture lol

if you take that bolt out, there's a spring and an odd looking metal thing in there and i dunno how the hell it works, but thats the thermostat hah