Macintosh Classic

Getting the Tach to work

just get an msd tach adapter part# 8920 i believe. works withh my digital cluster, so it should work withh the analog one.

No fuckin way. . Verify that number. . MSD is fuckin gay. . You have a 1JZ-GTE ? and what part number you running ? I was on the phone withh an MSD tech and hes like "ya 8913 is the unit you need it should work. etc. ." fuck. . didn't work man. .

G.

i shit you not, i just double checked the part# and it is 8920. it works withh my digi cluster and yea i have a 1jzgte. i thought you knew?

hahah suckers. my tach works. !

hahah sucker. your JZ is only GE. !

:lol:

.....for a 2k car.. i dont think its bad at all SUCKA.

Okay I got it and it's really simple! Like simpler than the 5m tach!

7mge tach will work fine withh 1j the difference is just frequency. You have to hook up the black wire from igniter which is IG- on the diag box and same on the tach.

So go take your tach out and on the screw hole where ig- signal enters the tach look for the first resistor once it hits the board. Should be a 30Kohm. Cut it off leaving a little of the leads. Then solder a small piece of wire in where the resistor was. I've verified against an safc2 and also dynojet and it's dead on all the way to 8krpm.

Put tach together and go rock out!

:)

Oh and jacob, this works withh 2j duh same signal.

this is what you wanted me to find?

so all i have to do is completely remove the 30k ohm resistor on IG- and replace it with a wire?

woah cake.

fuck dr tweak

haha yeah. It's easier than doing KA tach with RB in a 240. Yeah I did that too look at me!

lets all fly to japan, find the project team who did the jzx81 and have a beer with them before they die. god i love this car.

if i only knew it was this easy to get the tach working.

I already had made my own adapter using the below method. Oh well, it seems to work great and at least i didnt have to take the cluster out. Thanks for the info!

Ripped from toymods

coilnegemulator4ly.gif

What JZXseven said MSD 8920 works on my x7 digi dash as well.. Kinda noisey though so you should keep it under the hood =)

So is there a resistor I can cut out of the digi dash and replace with wire? I'm looking for a simple solution to this junkyard digi dash i bought.

Um yeah....

IMG_6810_zps1c89a04e.jpg

Cut that resistor out and solder a piece of wire in it's place.

^^ my MSD box is starting to crap out on my and the price is close to 3x when I bought it X.x Mark said he will be figuring one out sooner or later and keep up posted but dont quote me on that

if it's a matter of taking apart your MSD and figuring out what makes it tick, then replicating/simplifying it, i don't see how that would hurt anyone.