Sign in to follow this  
rayray

project jxe10

kaizen consists of: Jose (owner), Ernie, Ray (myself), and AJ

haha no, but he has wu tang dunks? he is a friend of ours and has recently come aboard full-time.

oh and we have some bad news about the IS. nothing serious, but it's still going to need some work to get the aem fic unit to function properly. car runs fine under closed loop, but any time not under wot, car likes to stall and hunt for idle. it also has a tendency to run lean. aem has been working withh another customer withh a turbo celica also withh vvti (2ZZ) running fic and it took lots of troubleshooting to get it to run properly. it was at the dyno on its 6th session when we last saw it. seems they don't like to run well on toyota vehicles and there are many bugs to work out. luckily we didn't build that celica so it's not our issue, but we may be going stand alone soon to save ourselves the headaches and dyno time on the IS. we'll see

no we are using the stock jzx110 electronic throttle body. fic has the capability to control throttle by wire (electronic) systems.

it's baaack! there's been a LOT of issues running the AEM FIC unit with toyota vvti systems so we decided to scratch it all together!. the dyno time and troubleshooting (more like guesswork) in finding out how to make it work wasn't worth it. customer is opted to go with a customized AEM EMS unit which has been working great with us so far.

here's our initial results pre-vvti tuning at ~18psi on 91 octane. it is a rough tune and the map still needs some cleaning, but it's looking good so far.

2983946245_ca7aedec4c_o.jpg

atm car feels a little sluggish off the line, but once the vvti map is completed we'll head to the dyno again to complete the pump and race gas maps.

550's. customer just wants 400whp for daily street use. we're going to see how much power it's capable of at 20psi on race gas and how much more we can get on straight pump. i don't have the dyno charts, but playing with vvti has advanced turbo spoolup by nearly 1000rpms. final tuning has been on hold for a bit as we are trying to catch up on several other projects...

now that i've bought a vvti 1j, i'll be following this tune closely.

engine bay done other than a few pieces the customer wants to powder coat

3050149761_1e113521d7_o.jpg

final tuning was done on the street and freeway with our tuner in the passenger seat, so no numbers or charts to compare with unfortunately, but i'm sure we'll take it back to the dyno sooner or later for a pull on race gas.

we're glad the major parts of the car have been finished. we ran into a short that we couldn't trace that set us back like a week or 2. everytime the car powered up the EFI fuse would blow instantly. after lots of head scratching and smoking cigarettes, it turns out it's common for the vsv to short on these cars according to our friend who looked it up on MY.IS. so weird. we disconnected it, and everything was back to normal lol

evap if i remember correctly. it sits way back above the rear subframe. we thought a wire might have pinched during the many times we pulled shit apart, but it sits WAAAY up in there out of harms way. i guess the unit itself shorts when it fails or something like that. we just pulled the connector and end of story

thanks man! the car's been daily driven and tracked 1 or 2 times since then with no problems. he has yet to come back for any race gas tuning.. so i guess he's enjoying it? lol. wish we coulda had a better solution for the idle up stuff (the junk on top of the valve covers), but the way the custom AEM EMS is setup won't work with the toyota stuff.

he actually had applied on here a while back.. duno what happened after that. i don't see him very often these days except when he shows up to do the shop's taxes

naw, not necessarily. it's just we had access to the gtr components at the shop from several spare and junk motors. since we were way over budget on the car already, we just used what was there instead of aquiring a honda unit (which the box is better suited for, since it's actually a modified honda AEM EMS unit)

me personally, woulda gone F-con or something similar for a much cleaner installation, but in the end it works, and that keeps the customer happy.