Sign in to follow this  
rayray

welcome to the world's slowest x8 build - ray's jzx83

[edit] the twins are actually fine and will hopefully find home a new daily soon. smoke was coming from something else. the engine nor the twins ever burnt even a drop of oil.

i recently made an impulse purchase for a complete hks turbo kit shipped straight from japan.

so i'll be replacing these:

DSC00748.jpg

withhhhh this:

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

DSC00807.jpg>

this will be a mild build for now. i will begin withhhhh just cleaning up and coating the kit. probably just cam gears/shafts, FIC, and new fuel pump for the time being.

after the car is up and running, i will begin work on the spare 1J i got in the garage. that won't be any time soon, but that build will be crazy. more on that when the time comes!

Fucking sweet. What do you think the output will be withh the single?

G it's similar, it's an old T300 kit. The T300S kit came withh an A/R of 1.06 or something ridiculous like that. Not exactly sure of the A/R on this one as it only has a blank garrett identification plate on it.

the main reason i jumped on it was for the manifold. everything else can be sourced or rebuilt easily. i wanted a SOLID manifold that wont crack under abuse

this one supposedly came off a JZX90 running a 1.5J

sooo, when is your car getting gutted, caged and ran on a road course??

DO IT!

that manifold does look pretty gargantuous. kooolness.

everone is ditching these ct's, soon were gonna be pissing on a burning pile of ct12's once the worlds supply of 7M's are exhausted..

welcome to the singles club rayray

Nice setup. Like the mani.

i am shooting for a conservative number around 400 which should be relatively cake on some 440's. the head and bottom end is bone-stock and i'm only running a 255 walbro for fuel. i want a reliable setup until i put money/time into the build.

decided to wait until the high-flow heads are finished for the JZ series engines before i put some cams in. I will get some cam gears for sure (we've had gains up to 25whp on cam gears alone on a 2J withh stock head/turbos and only cp pistons for the bottom end), and probably run a bar of boost or less.

i've been lagging hardcore on the install, mainly because of how busy we've been at the shop. shooting for the weekend (for reals this time!) for install. according to our tuner, wakita, it's a laggy turbo from the early 90's lol... oh well i'll find out how it goes. i'll do a compression check and if everything is still a-ok, i'm just going to throw on a set of 440's, used hks bov, and run stock boost.

in the meantime, nothing has changed yet on the car... i ate through my rear set of tires (which have somehow survived since my trek to arizona months ago) so i decided to throw the 5zigens back on. i know the car is not slammed, needs fender rolling, aero, blahblahblah it'll do for the time being

rear

d20b4956.jpg

front

42c1e0d2.jpg

side

f3ef46d6.jpg

for anyone wondering they are:

17x9 +20 (and 8mm spacer) - 235/40/17 dunlop sportmaxx

17x10 +35 - 255/40/17 falken 615

fuck yo life!!! cool stuff you got there, how much was the whole kit? i know that the HKS manifolds alone is/was BANK.

my price before shipping from japan was like $1300?? we have an awesome supplier. we get most of our goodies from him. prices are decent, but most of all, all of the goods are exact to the description. mine is obviously used, but every flange nut and bolt, gaskets, lines, etc were included.

yo ray, get that car on the fucking ground. seriously.

the teins get plenty low and with that size fn01 you will have no problem laying it out. might want to go a touch smaller in the back with a 245.

i was just talking to push about this with his 18x10+30 motegi...thats a 2mm narrower track (overall...1mm per side) than what ive got. youve got a 12mm narrower overall track than me...6mm per side. you can do it!

ya, the 255 is the reason why i can't go lower. camber is nearly maxed in the rear. the fronts rub the fenders a little too, but that's like 110+mph cornering. only other reason is, i scrape the shit out of everything down there. seems like every business out here in this area likes to use steep shitty driveways. if it weren't for the lsd i put it, i probably would get stuck on half of them

i once got stuck at a tacobell, practically burning out in front of a cop trying to rock the car to get traction.

for ref. on my teins, after removing the helper springs I had to cut my bumpstops and dustboots down to about 1/2" from 2" the car was hitting the bumpstops when i would set them to full soft and push down hard on the front. the shock still has full travel all the way into the shock body. I also ditched a few extra washers at the top end in the rear (keeping the pillowball rotation only) to allow the piston more room inside. the teins can be made to go very low and still operate inside properly. right now my car is super light with no gastank on at the moment, no batt, and missing some stuff like doors and hood, and it's tucking tire all around. with all that junk back on, it'll tuck rim easily if i want.

problem is like you said ray, if you run a wider tire for more traction you have to cut the fenders to get them to fit. I've only got 215/45/17's on there so it's easy to lose them into the fenders.

ya, the rear fender wells are polished to the bare metal because the tire tucks up under load lol. these things have so much travel

i have yet to actually hit the bumpstops though... i keep them about 7 and 8 clicks from full stiff, so it's still on the soft side.

could be because of the 17's.. car itself bottoms out before bumpstops hit.

i'll be doing the install today if all goes well!! can't wait. luckily for $1300, it also came withhh a complete downpipe and even a wastegate reciculation pipe so anything that needs to be fabbed should be a breeze. the kit supposedly came off a 1.5J so i'm really curious about how it will run on the 1J

junk junk junk

18c4b323.jpg

junk junk

1cdd35ca.jpg

tease...

4064241d.jpg

almost there.... couldn't quite finish before the end of the night... ex mani/turbo/wastegate on. capped water lines and oil lines done. intercooler piping done. didn't have access to lift today so downpipe hasn't been fitted yet.

what's left...

install bov

440 injectors

heatshields (if needed... but there's really nothing there that could burn)

route misc hoses

n00b

ya dood, i went in too straight and got stuck in a dip right before the steep driveway entrance... i had no lsd so the left rear tucked up and wedged, and the right rear had about an inch of tread touching the ground. had to rock the car mid-traffic 6-7 times before i could get enough momentum to make it over the dip. all while a cop was watching over his shoulder at the cloud of smoke as he was about to finish writing some dude a ticket. i never felt so dumb and helpless lol

i kept boards in my trunk to get over some speedbumps/driveways. i refused to raise the car, haha.

so gay, ran out of exhaust piping last night.. and i had to remove the manifold because one of the studs was hitting, preventing it from seating all the way...

the kit came withhh a complete downpipe that would have bolted directly onto the rest of my exhaust, but it was hitting the firewall hardcore, so i decided to cut up the downpipe and use whatever i could. it would take too much time and materials to re-make the recirculated wastegate dump, so it'll dump externally now

just need to add a flex section, one more bend and straight, and a flange. then an hks flange for the bov and get the injectors cleaned. fuck so close but it's hard to work on it on the weekdays...

was busy most of the day yesterday making plates to protect the harness on this supra. tires were shredding the harness in the wheel well. has a nice hks twin kit on it and hks twin plate. so easy to drive except for the driveways....

0252aab5.jpg

lol, if you can stand odd work hours and relatively low pay hahaha. we get some friends to help out once in a while, but for the most part i don't think we can really afford another full time worker.