Keith

Japanese Buick Couture

On to more cage stuff. So I wanted a cage and asked Ryan to do his thing. I wanted a six point, NASCAR style door bars with a bend on the upper bar and some gussets. The rest was up to him. As he was working on it, I went through the entire interior with adhesive remover to bring it down to bare metal, pulled exterior trim, pulled front/rear windshields and other junk. Some more pics:

Refabbed shock tower for S13 coilover.

cressida_cage_002.jpg

Door bars, gusseted to door sill.

cressida_cage_003.jpg

Through the front.

cressida_cage_004.jpg

cressida_cage_005.jpg

cressida_cage_006.jpg

Steering column adapted to dash bar. Probably do an aftermarket column to clean this all up next year. Have to draw the line at some things otherwise this car will never get done.

cressida_cage_007.jpg

Front strut tower reinforced a bit. Redrilled for S13 coilovers.

cressida_cage_008.jpg

From the back.

cressida_cage_009.jpg

Back doors.

cressida_cage_010.jpg

I love the final outcome and can't wait to see it painted. It already turned color so I need to prep/paint soon before it gets worse.

Plug: If you need a cage, swap, welding, whatever - Ryan will take care of you. www.oppomoto.com

Got the new oil pump and new front/rear main seals on the motor today. Smashed my head on the motor bracket when I was putting the oil pans back on. That felt great.

Registration is open for the first event. Two months and one week away. I have work to do.

Keith im sure there are a few more wondering the same thing as me and Matt.....

i know you got a hook up on this.... but what kind of price range would teh average joe be looking at for a cage like that? 3+k?

I was thinking around $3-4k range. Like anything else, it's mostly labor so it depends on the shop rate. Some are by hour ($70-100++) and some are by point & bar. Ryan had 80 hours into it. He's not slow but a fully operational shop could get it done faster for sure. I don't think I have more than $450 in steel into it. My initial buy was about $350 but I had to get another tube (comment below) and then baseplate/gusset material.

For those building cages...make sure you have one length of tubing that is at least 14' long. Lengths usually come in ~20' stock and then you cut them in half for easier transport. This isn't a problem for most sports cars as you can build a main hoop with a 10' section with length to spare. With the Cressida or probably most other sedans, it takes surprisingly more. Some of you may know that, we just weren't thinking about it at the time.

Also if people are wondering, this was all built with standard 1.5x.095 DOM. The cage added about 130lbs to the car.

Couple things .... first off, great job for fully committing to an aggressive Cressida build. Second, tell Ryan from a fabricators point of view, and a guy who builds a lot of cages, he did a great job. Keep the pics coming.

Yo dog...I heard you like to read the news and drive...so...uhh...I painted the interior and stuff.

cressida_int_paint_002.jpg

cressida_int_paint_001.jpg

cressida_int_paint_003.jpg

cressida_int_paint_004.jpg

Thanks to Ryan yet again for letting me invade his garage. I needed some 24 hour heat to cure the paint which my space is lacking.

For those that care, here was my fun little process to prep:

Adhesive remover

Scotchbrite the whole thing

Paint thinner the whole thing for a final cleaning

Metal primer (I used white to brighten up the silver)

Silver appliance epoxy paint

It took 10ish cans of each.

Lesson learned...when spraying in a not so well ventilated area, use tack cloth to pick up the overspray between and during coats on dry surfaces. There is lots of overspray that dried in the air and settled. Most of it wipes off but there are few areas that will need a little light buffing to smooth out.

The work and build are fantastic. I can't wait to start working on mine. Next small project in my garage is a dedicated flare die station. Can't wait until I can turn my attention to my car.

Keep up the good work!

I feel like the only thing I've been doing the past few weeks is buying parts. :/ Waiting on a couple key parts and then the engine/trans can go in. That will feel good. Subframe/diff and stuff will be ready to go back in soon as well.

I've been working on cleaning up the motor a bit. Wire wheeled the waterneck, thermostat housing, valve covers and intake mani. Painted the valve covers and some misc brackets & parts. Put in a new oil pump, new 2jz water pump, new front & rear main seals and a fancy Greddy timing belt.

Mocked up the turbo/mani just for the hell of it. I hate how ugly my cam gears are but there's no point in buying adjustables right now.

cressida_march09_001.jpg

Put my brakes and the rest of the front suspension back on.

cressida_march09_002.jpg

My seat showed up from SilentSlide the other day. Pretty happy with it considering I've never sat in one before. It fits me perfectly. I have the side mounts and need to get those mocked in.

cressida_march09_003.jpg

I have to come up with some kind of dash this week. Tires will be here in the next day or two and then I can work on clearance issues.

....slowly......

It's not as clean as I want it but it's a ton better. It will only get dirty anyways so no point in taking a toothbrush to it.

Yes, DM turbo/mani.

60-1 57 trim. I opted for the slightly better response. We'll see how soon it is until I'm wanting more power.

yeah i was gonna go 57 trim as well and at the last minute i decided to go 60-1 .58ar

I was just afraid that with 57 trim i would have a harder time of hitting mypower goals of 425 rwhp so went with 60-1.

Im curious to find out your numbers once its up and running.

My other reasoning is tire fitment. I'm not going with anything beyond a 245 - at least this year. Most 245s are easy enough to handle with 300 at the wheels, so much more than the low 400s is pretty pointless for me.

That said...BC cams are in my motor's future much later this year or for next season.

Cool, good to know.

400hp is cool in a 83 because it's way lighter than a 90. That's kind of why I'm debating something bigger than can make lots of power at low-ish pressure.

Can't wait to see some more progress.

Been doing lots of little things, getting ready to drop the motor in and wire it up.

Got lucky at a junkyard and got some motor mounts (since I was stupid and threw mine away) and a door handle to replace my cracked one.

I now have OS Giken clutch goodness. THANK YOU TOUGE FACTORY. Seriously...Dave went the extra mile.

Got the subframe welded up so the MKIII diff bolts up nicely, thanks to Ryan for the help on that. Mounted the tires up with Lee and threw them on.

Spent Saturday at Jeff's doing some bodywork to get the MarkII fenders and hood straightened out. Jeff is amazing. One fender was rolled over and heavily squished. The other had some significant denting on the front. The hood had a folded over corner and some big dents up front. A couple hours and he had everything straightened out and bolted up. He hooked me up with a brand new windshield for $150, we threw that and the rear on as well. It's starting to look like a car again.

cressida_frontend_mar09_001.jpg

cressida_frontend_mar09_002.jpg

cressida_frontend_mar09_003.jpg

I'll have a lot of people to thank when this car is done. Wouldn't be able to do this without a lot of good friends.