Keith

Japanese Buick Couture

No, I'm talking about the bolts on the front of the carrier. The X8 has 1 and the MK has 2. Can you show a pic of your mounts? My brother made his and I'm just curious to see how you did yours.

-Matt-Panic!

Oh. Thought you meant four bolt on the cover like the Supra.

I have the subframe cut & drilled for it but I haven’t mounted the diff yet. I’m just going to use some pipe stock as spacers to mount it up. I haven’t got that far yet but will shortly, I’ll post pics then.

make sure to get the diff angle spot on, mine shook like freaking mad over 100km/h when it was off a little.

stock supra LSDs suck balls.

I'm sure they do. I have no intention of using it.

Anyone have the measurements of the spacers to save me a little time? Otherwise I'll just eyeball it and shim/shave later as needed.

you can use something you know is 100% square on the face of the diff and it should point at the output on the trans. i used a long piece of hardwood that a checked for squareness, it's now my diff alignment tool.

That old setup was temporary and had shitty pinion angle. I'll measure my new shit tomorrow it's perfect.

Something to look at...

I need to finish cutting the excess metal out of a few more doors, but they are otherwise stripped.

Front before/after:

frontdoor_before.jpg

frontdoor_after.jpg

It has been unseasonably cold so I've been working on these in the basement. Heating the garage from -10F isn't going to happen.

Front door weight:

54lbs off the car in OEM status

36lbs off the car, no wiring, window, power accessories & parts (except lock motor for ease of use), glass, etc.

5lbs front door glass alone

Rear door weight:

40lbs off the car in OEM status

27lbs off the car, no wiring, window, power accessories & parts (except lock motor for ease of use), glass, etc.

3lbs front door glass alone

Cheapo bathroom scale used.

I wanted to get the front doors chopped out so I can get the NASCAR style door bars as far outwards as possible.

Glass may or may not go back in. I want to put lexan in but that is a project for a much later date. Good news is that the windows are simple shapes and curves so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I always want to do lexan but I gues it isn't that much savings worth doing. What is the lock motor?? I want to figure out a way to keep the window but just pull a pin or something to drop the glass down to open the window.

Yeah. Motor actuator tomato tomahto. ;)

I will probably end up just using the glass for ease of use and obvious cost savings. Have a while to figure that stuff out. Saving 62lbs (or even 46lbs w/glass) total though, I'm pretty happy about that.

You can lose the reinforcement bar in the door too if you plan on running nascar style doors bars on the cage.

It's a god damn miracle.

Threw the motor in the bed of the truck last night and brought it over to a big Ford service/dealer shop. They handle all the 3/4/5 series trucks and stuff. 1,000 ft/lb of reversing torque, an ass load of CFM and a good 45 seconds of blasting later, the crankshaft bolt waved the white flag. Thanks to Ryan for hooking me up with his Ford mechanic. 1J maintenance & build resumes.

Bought my rollcage tubing last week. Awesome cell phone pics from our cool local distributor:

Image113.jpg

Image115.jpg

Wilford Brimley stacks that steel!

Image114.jpg

WC6sbMObg8irp9s0OawsaRih_500.jpg

Cage work begins next week.

I managed to lose my subframe isolators and nuts. No idea where they are, not happy.

Spindles painted. Drilling out strut towers and putting in coilovers whenever it warms up past the teens this week. It's 1 right now. I'd rather have it be -20. 1 is just depressing.

First event: April 17/18 at GIR.

Ugh...so much to do. Goodbye cash build, hello debt build.

After two days of trailer/car juggling, navigating snow drifts, black ice and Taco John's, the lead sled is at the shop.

Cage begins.

beefcage1.jpg

I'll be spending Thursday doing additional chassis prep while Ryan continues with the cage.

Taking our time, just finishing up details now. Complete pics to come.

keithcage24.jpg

I didn't post them. ;)

I'll have the car back home this weekend and then I'll take my own pics and post info.

Can't...resist....dimple....goodness.

keithcage26.jpg

keithcage28.jpg

keithcage27.jpg

keithcage30.jpg