Keith

Japanese Buick Couture

Novel warning. Let's start withh some history... This is going on a couple boards so bear withh me.

I rocked the S13 for a long time, it was a great car. Blew the motor towards the end of the season in '07 on

where I coincidentally grenaded the rear aero that lasted a couple years. The motor had lasted a good 5 years I think and the stock headgasket finally gave. Warped the deck pretty decent too. Parted it all out shortly after.

Here she was in '06(?) pre-floyellow wheels. Ahh, memories.

001.jpg

So anyways... Building a four door for '09 was the plan from the beginning. I've been wanting to forever. Always seriously considered the JZS147 but chassis values seemed ridiculous for what I wanted to do to it. Toyed around withh getting a JZX from Canada, nothing ever really panned out. Just about bought a JZS161 but then that fell through. The whole time I was looking at Cressidas here and there but never really liked them. I then realized I didn't like them because there were numerous people that built or were building them but they all look like shit (before some people yell at me, that has changed a LITTLE). Well, JZ motor drops in. JZX81 body is bolt on. 5spd is pretty much bolt on. Suspension is manageable. Ok. Why not.

So the search began. After three months, I found on the same week a complete 5spd turbo MKIII Supra for $500 that would be my donor car and then a MX83 Cressida that was super clean and withh no sunroof. Even better. It was "leaking oil" but it's the typical BHG. Had Rob take a quick look at the cressida to verify as it was close to his place in Chicago and I'm of course in St. Paul. Car was good so I made the deal. Came to Chicago to pick up the Supra a few weeks later and the Cressidonk was sitting for me at Touge Factory (thanks Dave). I checked out the plushy goodness and was on my way. Threw it on the trailer the next weekend and brought it home.

And then it sat. For months...

Before this and through now, I had started picking up parts. Grabbed a JZX90 1jz, wheels, Mark II bodywork, Serial 9 strut tubes, Mark IV injectors and stuff in boxes that I honestly can't even remember. Recently ordered Big Win style aero through Gerard too.

mmm.

red81-1.jpg

A couple weeks ago, I washed the Cressida and moved it into the garage. That was some serious progress.

This weekend, I finally made a dent.

I started stripping. Everything. And damn does this car have heavy crap. Even the sun visors feel like they weigh a full pound.

DSC_0114.jpg

Yuck. Still a lot left to pull out.

DSC_0115.jpg

Leaving the carpet until last. Makes my old knees feel better when I'm crawling around.

DSC_0118.jpg

Nice and clean.

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

Waiting patiently.

DSC_0122.jpg

So the plan for now...

Still have some more interior stripping to do, then the front end sheet metal, motor & trans, diff, exhaust and whatever else gets in my way. Then the car gets all sound deadening and rust proofing stripped, then power washed.

Then full cage withh gussets. Weld on strut tubes and install Stance coils.

Internally stock 1jz goes in withh GT35. Probably get cams over the winter.

Fab a dash out of sheet metal or composite. Figure out seat and mount it.

Z32 front brakes, ?? rear.

Paint...and a lot of other details. Would like to get it running under it's own power before the snow flies but I have a million and one other things to do as usual.

Need to get a 1jz R154 bellhousing, motor mounts and twin plate clutch sooner rather than later so I can get the motor ready to drop in.

So that's it for now. Less words to come in the future, more pictures.

doin work son!

I love posting in the same thread on 2 forums! Projects move withh a bankroll $$$

Yeah!

no more back seat driver gotta love a stripped 4dr

This thread is like getting on a rollercoaster withh a shit ton of warning signs.

If you have a history of heart palpatations and your dick is less than 7" long, you should not view this thread.

love the big*win style. should be awesome when it's all done. can't wait to get some aero for myself!!

18x9.5 for the rear. 8.5 up front. Will only need a very slight pull which is perfect, I like stock lines.

No, the BMW center caps won't stay.

wheel_test_1.jpg

wheel_test_2.jpg

hot damn you are living my dream withh those wheels.

very nice :thumbsup:

Wheels and build are sweet. The wheels remind me of a set of lightweight sparcos I owned for a bit.

Checkout the serialnine suspension to tuck them wheels ;) Very slick!

Wheels and build are sweet. The wheels remind me of a set of lightweight sparcos I owned for a bit.

They're Sparcos...so could be the same model. :) They are surprisingly light for the size.

They're Sparcos...so could be the same model. :) They are surprisingly light for the size.

Those are the ns-06'S ya? LOVE those rims. ... . they come in a 10.5 +18 rear. and 9.5+22 front. . That is fuckin beautiful sizing . . Also come in 19's. . Only the low offsets have the super concave faces though. . The med offsets have a fairly deep face too. . Good choice. .

Here's one of my fave's . . Sporty wheel in a VIP application. . looks rad. .

2a01sj6.jpg

G.

Yes they are silly light when they have no rubber on them. Shame more people don't rock them.

Those are the ns-06'S ya? LOVE those rims. ... . they come in a 10.5 +18 rear. and 9.5+22 front. . That is fuckin beautiful sizing . . Also come in 19's. . Only the low offsets have the super concave faces though. . The med offsets have a fairly deep face too. . Good choice. .

Here's one of my fave's . . Sporty wheel in a VIP application. . looks rad. .

G.

Now my wife pointed out a 7 series withh a sick concave face. They looked like the one's I had but way deeper. I would go for them again if I could get the deep face.

I got some wheels I have to post them soon.

Car looks awesome can't wait to see it withh rubber and drop.

Mr. G we have to talk ;)

Kind of lame as far as updates go, but it's something.

Suspension pulled.

Driveshaft pulled.

Exhaust pulled.

Hood/fenders/bumpers/lights pulled.

Radiator/condensor pulled.

cressida_0708_01.jpg

Next up:

Finish prepping the motor/trans to pull and get it out.

Drop the rear subframe.

Finish some minor interior stripping

Dolly car out of garage, degrease and power wash.

So far the car has been pretty good to work on, thank you rust free shell. Everything comes apart easily which makes for a few more beers left in the fridge. This is good.

Also got these goodies last week. Will get the strut tubes welded on withhin the next few weeks.

cressida_0708_02.jpg

Holy hell an update.

Nothing too exciting, been busy and haven't done a lot to the car. Will probably stay that way until the snow flies. So much for getting the engine fired up this fall.

So to date since the last update, I've ripped out a ton of stuff. I'm not going through the list, it's boring. Popped the rear suspension and wheels back on last night, dropped the front on a moving dolly and wheeled it out to the driveway. Spent some time tonight withh some degreaser and a pressure washer getting it cleaned up. Still plenty of things to remove and clean but I'm sick of getting totally greased from barely touching the thing - so it's a lot better now from where it was. Still more degreasing/cleaning...then more removing of remaining interior/engine bay things, rear subframe, etc...then need to get some dry ice and smash the sound deadening out. Blah blah blah...

cressida_dw_001.jpg

cressida_dw_002.jpg

cressida_dw_003.jpg

Next update will be a little more exciting to look at. Maybe just for me.

Little more progress related to the last update.

Pics are blurry as it was actually pretty dark.

Mucho cleaner.

shell_cleaning_001.jpg

More mucho cleaner. Battery tray cut out, will need to clean up the edges.

shell_cleaning_002.jpg

Spent last Friday night grinding this wheel well clean.

shell_cleaning_003.jpg

shell_cleaning_004.jpg

My friend:

shell_cleaning_005.jpg

I cleaned up the wheel well a little bit more tonight and then did a quick shot of primer, looks so nice. Pulled out the EZ-Up just as it started to rain. Hopefully I can get the rest of the dirty work done withhin the next two weeks so it can go back in the garage.

Sucks that it's dark out so early now. :(

So I've actually been working on the car quite a bit, there just hasn't been anything very worthy to look at. I guess I'll post some stuff anyways.

Finally got the interior 100% stripped. Sound deadening weighed in at 46lbs. Pulled out another couple pounds of foam, plugs, clips and other misc crap that Toyota stuffs the shell full of. I installed the clutch and brake pedals for the fun of it. First things I've actually installed on the car so that's some kind of milestone.

Ryan will have his super duper fabrication shop up and running within the week. Rollcage, gussets and seam welding will go down sometime Dec/Jan.

interior.JPG

I picked up an NA MKIII LSD in place of turbo MKIII diff. Cleaned it up, painted and swapped rear covers. So that's 4.1 instead of 3.9 which is nice.

diff.JPG

Was kinda trying to figure out a way to weld in some solid subframe bushings. Motivation quickly dropped for that and I just stuffed the bushings with poly. Same stuff that I used for my motor mounts on the S13 and that worked well. Once G gets the solid mounts available, I'll probably grab those. These pop right out so it's easy to switch.

subframe.JPG

Trying to clean these things up. So damn greasy. They'll get recoated or painted or something. More things to do with these later.

links.JPG

Got my SerialNine strut tubes welded on to the spindles. Thanks Ryan.

ryan_welding_003.jpg

Got the new bellhousing on. Was about to clean the rest of the tranny and then it snowed. Should be warmer later this week.

tranny.JPG

Slowly doing a few things to the motor. Putting on new parts, cleaning, etc.

1jz_1.JPG

1jz_2.JPG

550cc injectors out of an MKIV + fuel rail and shiny lines/fittings.

injectors.JPG

Trust oil cooler from Misfit. Thanks dude.

oil_cooler.JPG

Yep. Front crossmember, rear subframe, links, etc will be going back in the shell fairly soon. Then coilovers go in. Then I need tires so I can fit the fenders. And a ton of other stuff...but I am making progress. Going to go buy a better space heater for the garage. Damn winter.

You mean the rear cover? It's the MX cover and MK pumpkin.