Jason

Teddy Roosevelt rides a moose

and $50 some odd dollars later I have a new power steering suction fitting and o-ring and no leaks.

and i finally hooked up the reverse lights.

and while i was down there i figured out what the black box on the drivers side of the R-154 is...ABS sensor...and cut the wires off of it.

and i mounted the ignitor bracket. and moved the ignitor wires to where they should be between the manifold runners.

and i plugged the MAP sensor into the filter/damper thing that its supposed to be plugged into.

and i plugged up some vacuum lines.

and i got two new tires for the front. the rears need em badly too. next on the list is subframe and dif bushings. stop being sloppy! then alignment.

no pics. got other stuff to do under the hood first!

*****POWER UPDATE*****

So I did a pull on the highway tonight...SPECIFICALLY to see how much boost I'm actually building. According to the PFC, I maxed at .80 bar...11.6psi. Time to sell my tinker toy boost gauge and run something more accurate. A bunch of something. Retune coming soon.

washed it...for i think the first time ever.

IMG_20110903_235502.jpg

Seeing how I update this twice a year, I guess this is as good a time as any to get some actual progress done on this.

So today at 9am, I handed in my last final for the semester. I'm free til September! So I rode around on my motorbike for an hour or so to clear my head after lunch and the gym. If you guys haven't seen it, here it is in all of its gross-o glory:

When I got it last summer:

192012zilvia004.jpg

192012zilvia002.jpg

and now:

634c009c.jpg

The plans are to get it to some form or semblance like Crazy-Orange choppers:

449.jpg

OK. So besides that, I started ripping out stuff from the Cressida that has been irking me for YEARS. Too lazy or busy to get around to these little projects. The radio doesn't work. A bunch of interior lights don't work. The sunroof doesn't work. The dash is cracked beyond anything even Brian has seen in Arizona. The roof leaks. The list could go on and on.

A month or two ago I replaced the rear tires as I've been needing to do. 235-40-18 S-Drive Yokohama. $120 used. Score.

Today, after the bike ride, I did this:

84a65d59.jpg

If you look closely, you will also see some fun little add on's which will be happening over the next week also...

...and blocked off the auto gear indicator with a sticker I had laying around:

2f8acfb7.jpg

25b30872.jpg

...and since I had it out, I fixed the tacho with the resistor delete:

8e3d8063.jpg

good shit man. good to see some work going into it! i think your updates and mine combined still would rank for the slowest ever builds on jzxp (except may be bill, but he's got a TON more work into his x8 lol)

lol I like the sticker idea.

So.. I have a bottle of phosphoric acid in my garage, Lets dump it over the roof to try to eat away that corrosion.

Looking good btw.

Trav: Bring that phosphoric acid over and lets get this thing knocked out once and for all! Then you can grab that TOM's horn pad too.

I got the cluster back in last night. The tach works, the lights work, the speedo works now too! I've been debating about how badly I'd like to blind myself with LED's since everything is apart now. Also, I'm considering a 2x DIN head unit with a bunch of bells and whistles, but a windshield is probably going to take priority. White people problems.

I also have to fuss with mounting some gauges. I will be making a pod and setting them up in the middle of the dash, on top. Everything in the dash should remain in working order. The pod is going to get glassed into the dash, then the dash is getting a flat coat of grey paint and then flocked. Additionally, I am looking into adding an LED spot light to the sunroof controls. My buddy's Forrester came with one from the factory. It is QUITE handy for dicking around at night without blinding yourself with the dome lights.

Um, other than that, plans for this summer include adding a cat and a new flex pipe, installing Trust cam gears that I've been sitting on for far too long, buying a brand new stock shifter, a new clutch, subframe and dif bushings, some kind of differential, going to nut and bolt the turbo manifold and double check all of my gaskets and whatnot. This thing needs inspection stickers so I can drive on the road without fearing getting a $120 ticket for "doing the speedlimit and obeying all posted signs and regulations"...

And more boost. Lots more boost.

Good to see you back. Shit's looking good. Don't put LEDs in your cluster, you will hate yourself for spending time to make night driving terrible.

The corolla lives!!! Within the Cressida though...how did you guys retain turn signal cancelation?

22fa6d01.jpg

idk brian, it depends on what LEDs you buy. i had them in the tercel and it was perfectly fine. i've put red in the cressida and i'm sure it won't be a problem.

Good hub = full functionality. I had a cheap HKB and even though the turn signal cancellation worked the horn didn't. Since buying Bill's Sparco hub all is well and everything works as stock.

good to know...mine is a momo corolla hub. kind of a bummer that it's not 100% right. it does have recesses and whatnot but theyre not the right diameter.

I'll get it all figured out shortly.

if there is enough material, i drilled some spots for mine to work.

So last night my buddy tells me "You can get in on this purchase order for LED 74's which retain dimming...only $4 a piece...." What the hell? I need like 10-15! No thanks.

I'll have a pictorial update tonight fellas. I just need to go dig up some interior screws.

EDIT: Found the interior screws. I hate reassembling dashboards. What a freaking pain. On a much happier note...I have a working radio for the first time in 6 years. It even plays music from the iPhone quite nicely. The dash is about 3/4 of the way back together. I've been fighting through intermittent thunderstorms.

61970903.jpg

e8ceda2b.jpg

Knee board is back in, dash trim is back in, hood popper is back in. Still need to find the driver side dash speaker grille and slap that in. Still need to put the glove box back together and in. That will happen later today. It's flipping humid right now.

I should make this a flip book:

what the hell..PHOTOBUCKET SUCK IT. I can't get the updated picture to load.

b41159f7.jpg

e133e097.jpg

and the dashboard is done, and other than a broken cup holder, it is complete! now i need a new shifter and a decent boot.

needless to say...im pretty ecstatic to no longer be rolling around like a complete pauper.

mmmmm tasty!. i always thought that Brides were to small for fat Americans. then a my friend got some in his 86 and they were soooo fucking nice!!!

Ok so I condensed my past 3 years into one post. This one is for people who like words with their pictures. Have at it:

I figured I would update this. It's been a while. I get as much done in 3 years as most dudes get done in 3 weeks.

I drove this out to California (and blew up an r154 in the middle of Ohio..then dragged it the rest of the way there) for the few months while I was there. Between the PA tags and stance-so-low-the-exhaust-pinged-off-lane-markers it was quite a cop magnet. I went over to Tein, picked up some new collars, and raised the rear up about 1.75 inches. It's still 17/18 stagger. The tires are way more suited to the height though. 225/40-17, 235/40-18. It still rubs a little.

this is still with the wrong size tires, but the rear raised up:

37747_419246247837_514442837_4625313_532276_n.jpg

148626_467794162837_514442837_5573387_6186373_n.jpg

I drove it back here with no hiccups, save for almost burning the car and a gas station to the ground somewhere between Barstow and Havasu:

149507_467794232837_514442837_5573389_6115015_n.jpg

At some point it got some 800cc SARD side feeds, a Walbro, and a Hallman MBC. Then Matt at Import Intelligence dyno tuned it. I think it came out to about 295hp, 290 ft/lbs at 11.8 PSI. It feels great and runs hard. There is plenty more power to be had. Sometime. At the speed of slow of course.

76e6dcbe.jpg

I've pretty much been driving this thing around with the dash looking like a cat's b-hole post M-80 fireworks party. It was slightly better than this when I started working on this last week.

84a65d59.jpg

The gauge cluster, bezel, and radio were all there in spirit. The speedo was never hooked up during the swap, then the trans side bung of the speedo cable got caught on a speed bump or something and ripped off. The tach didn't work. The radio wouldn't power up. In doing the swap, I had the knee-boards out on both sides; to get to the wire loom on the passenger side and installing the clutch pedal on the driver's. All of the electronic do-dads were just hanging from zip-ties. Busy/lazy. Mostly lazy.

So I spent the last two weeks taking care of various odds and ends. The gauge cluster came out. There's a 30k OHM resistor that needs to be cut off the board and replaced with a wire to make the tach interpret the 1jz ignition signal. While I had that all apart, I decided to cover up the PRNDL auto trans indicator. I didn't have any vinyl laying around so I found some stickers. It came out OK I guess.

25b30872.jpg

I put all the interior bits back in place, fixed the power issue for the radio, and bingo bango, I have something slightly more suitable to drive around in.

Special thanks to Keith for the steering column clam shell.

e133e097.jpg

I have a box full of gauges to mount up now too. I'll probably tackle that sometime in the next decade.

The paint is still awful and getting worse, and the fender lips are rusted. The rear door jambs are getting bad too. Next thing on the list is a a pair of working OEM hood struts, a not broken windshield and correcting the rust.

Stay tuned for the next installment, 3 years from now.

478016f6.jpg

that's quite a way it's come (both miles and progress wise)!

Thanks guys! Slow progress is better than no progress!

LET'S FULL INTERIOR!

And the exclamation point to a productive week: I took a deposit on the 240sx convertible. It will be missed!

HAH yea right! Hate to see ya go, love to watch you leave!

It never had balloon roof! The roof is actually in decently nice shape. It's about time to take this from a "build" thread to a "stop looking like the gardener's car" thread.

wanted: clean, classy, updated aero, paint. grossness elimination kit. anyone?