lucas

MeganRacing plans for x8 coilovers

on a whim I shot an email to Megan about x8 coilovers after I saw they make sets for odd cars... even the S12.

Got this in reply:

1st reply:

"Thank you for the interest on megan racing product.

As for the MX83 coilovers, i personally drive one as a

daily driver. I have been talking to the factory and

find out on when we can make some for these cars. So

as we speak YES we are goin to be producing coilovers

for the MX83."

emailed back about style of coilover (full or weld on) and spring rates

2nd reply

"As for the coilovers, it will be a weld in kit to the stock spindle. The spring rates will be 12kg up front and 10kg for the rear. You will be able to modify the spring rates by goin up or down on kg...around +2kg/-2kg. as for my car its jus a clean x8. Please if you knoe anyone that would be interested on the coilovers, please tell them to email me..just to show that the Cressida community is active. As for the realese date not sure...may be 1 month or 2. Keep in touch withh us for further info..

please post ont he forums about this"

so Im posting on about this.. If anyone wants to get in touch like he offered, his email is:

cyrus @ meganracing.com

stance is a cut above. ksport is the equivalent. i was gonna nab mikeys flt-a2's, but i wont be thrashing them so i couldnt justify the extra cost.

i emailed them. anyone else that may want these within the next 6months to 1 year should do the same

Weird I talked to my megan rep a little while back just befor I ordered the t3's .Which are still not here! Anyways, I was told that there is not enuff intrest. And it was not happening in the near future. I like megan alot. I have had there coilovers on every car I have had.

Infact one of my dumbass techs turned a salamander heater pointed rite at a pair for like 30 minutes.The rubber boots melted and they were still fine. I talked to a tech and he said aslong as they still rebound it's all good. I fired the kid anyways.

I got a reply withh some nice news:

"As an update on these coilover, we have already sent them out to the factory to get the prototype made. Turn around time will be around 1-2 months. Once I get the prototype in, it will be installed on my X8 and will be track tested at drift/grip events. We decided to make this coilovers due to the growing interest on this vehicle worlwide, and there are only a few companys that make product for this vehicle. Megan Racing want to help and offer as much product for the MX83. If this product will see interest, I am also planning to make the front/rear arms (toe, camber etc.) PLEASE LET THE MX83 OWNERS KNOW WHATS GOING ON AND WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS. Here are some specs for the coilovers were making.

SPECS:

Spring Front: 12.0Kg

Spring Rear: 10.0Kg

Ride Height Front: -40mm

Ride Height Rear: -46mm

Spring Rate Modification Range Front: 10-14Kg

Spring Rate Modification Range Rear: 8-12Kg

Adjustment: 32way Stage Damping

PRICING

Retail: $1050.00 "[/b]

+1 on the confirmation email today.

keep your fingers crossed kiddies

but dont hold your breath

Interesting... I pretty much told Jose (at Megan) how they need to be made about 3 months ago and stressed the future of these chassis, and now I see this :lol:

Megan Street line is marginal at best and on par withh Ksport, but their Track series is much more serious (I use them on my Legacy). I would imagine that these will come in a Track line only due to the damper needed to supress harmonic vibrations in a car withh the motion ratio and weight of a Cressida.

I would imagine that these will come in a Track line only due to the damper needed to supress harmonic vibrations in a car with the motion ratio and weight of a Cressida.

hence the extra estimated cost which would put them in line with stance.

yea, im probably down, but im gonna talk with a local suspension guru about some 1 off non valving adjustable height adjust only type shit and see if we can rock that out for under a grand. then again, megan offers all kinda awesome single pieces, so replacing borked shit wouldnt be difficult at all.

i say get the megans, you'll be helping all of us if you do.

why is it that companies do not take the time to see if there is a market, they just say there isn't and then they are done withh it. I bet that if megan spent money building a cressida or sponsoring a cressida instead of a 350z, they would be able to sell coil overs to cressida owners plus show other people who own 240s and shit that they can build a cressida.

supply and demand.. compare the number of 240 and Z owners who want to mod their car to the number of x8 owners that want the same thing. Though I hate to admit it, we are in the minority.

Its also a case of squeaky wheel gets the grease; if people pester these companies instead of setting back and saying "there's nothing out there", maybe there would be more response. Thats why I shot an email to Tein too... maybe they can put their old JZX81 HA's back into production. Who knows?

Another problem might be (from what I have heard) the lack of OEM or reman spindles/pearches for the x8 chassis, like the AE86 before Greddy stepped up withh their coilover. If a company doesnt have access to this part I would think they would be hard pressed to put a warranty on a part they expect you to weld yourself. Nissans are an easy one because the coilover comes off as its own unit. Even this can be fixed if a company has the right sources and demand. If they can buy in bulk Im sure they can get repo spindles/perches from either China or Brazil, it just takes money.

I've been talking to him a a lot, and he wants to know what the Cressida community wants. I haven't touched my suspension yet so I don't know what would help us out. What about those who track their car? What products would you guys like being made?

toycoma - Besides the coilovers, what else do you think would be nice?

- short shifter for W58 or R154

- pillow tension rods

- pillow LCA

- inner and outer tie rods

- rear upper control arms

strut tower bars

sway bars + end links

stainless braided brake lines

Tie Rods

Tension Rods

NC-RCA/RCA's

Im waiting for a reply from Aphxero or Gseventythree.

Betting they have some better insight if they care.

I've been talking to him a a lot, and he wants to know what the Cressida community wants. I haven't touched my suspension yet so I don't know what would help us out. What about those who track their car? What products would you guys like being made?

toycoma - Besides the coilovers, what else do you think would be nice?

- short shifter for W58 or R154

- pillow tension rods

- pillow LCA

- inner and outer tie rods

- rear upper control arms

sounds good. problem is, people have had some problems withh their tension rods and such.

X7 coilovers would be nice as well...
that should be easy for them to do. I would think they could use x8 fronts since it is a weld in kit to the spindle and then just make the rear. i guess front top hats would be diffrent too though right?

You bitches don't need tie rods or TC rod replacements. Aftermarket tie rods are usually just OEM replacements withh a spacer gimmick that tears up the power steering rack seal, and Toyota TC rods are plenty adjustable for caster and simply need a tougher bushing or rose/heim joint.

I'd look for:

- TC rod bushings/rose joint kit

- PS rack bushings

- Sway bar endlinks and bushings (stock front sway bar is more than enough)

- Strut bars

- Aluminum radiators

- Harness bars

- Rucas for X8

- Trailing arm bushings for X7

Some of these things address common problems in X chassis such as sloppy rack feel and defunct power seatbelts. Additionally, if coilovers are made for the X7, they need to be a true coilover (coil over shock design, NOT seperate spring and shock shit).

hmm since I was mentioned.

Dear megan,

I'm an adult withh money and lot's of x8 experience. You should do the following.

Copy the FLTa2 desig as closely as possible and use weld on kit for front spindle. Warranty are for girls and whiny asian pricks.

Gimme pillow tension rods. This is sooo important to me it's not even funny.

As far as ruca goes, making ruca would be stupid. Think about it. Or tell your engineers to think about it.

Please make adjustable rear lateral links (toe and camber) and keep it under $700. It's either you guys or yanack. Either way I'm getting some.

And if you have time please make some sways. I've upgraded to 18mm in rear and it makes a world of difference in that sloppy assed rear end. Tracks like woah now.

These are the main sore spots in the x8 handling. I'm speaking from lots of street and track experience.

Thanks.

And ranlet. Rememebr the ruca has the ball joint dude. You should remember that from caseys car. And x8 doesn't have adjustable caster. Not like corolla. I'd do the tc rods as much for the snappiness and steering feel as for the adjustment. And btw, +eleventybillion on the rack bushings. Maybe aluminum ones?