lucas

MeganRacing plans for x8 coilovers

(vasectomies SUCK)

not as much as having another kid!

i wish your balls a speedy recovery

Guest DuaxMachine

I can't think of a worse product to put on my car!

Are you guys serious, or is this all some delayed April Fools joke??

This picture says it all...........

And just who thinks they can weld a strut together on a 3400 pound car ???

post-1850-1220479111_thumb.jpg

Megan coilovers rule ! and if you can't weld you should poney up the moneys to buy some coilovers that don't need any welding or have somone weld them for you .

Guest DuaxMachine

I'll ride a city bus before I put any chinese crap on my car!

Damn, I must have accidentally wondered onto a 240SX forum.........

Megan>cut springs.

For all of us serious guys there's s9 and jic.

What I wanna see are some arms!

this is epic.

5 years ago, a coilover for a cressida = 90 days and $2000

today, it's $850 and a week. (and to think that everything 5 years ago was half the price, so in reality these are $425)

as a cressida vet, i'm shedding a tear over here.

this is epic.

3 years ago, a coilover for a cressida = 90 days and $2700 and built in Japan

today, it's $850 and a week. (and to think that everything 5 years ago was half the price, so in reality these are $425)

I fixed your post. How the fuck is Megan doing these at 850??

Guest DuaxMachine
How the fuck is Megan doing these at 850??

Cheap substandard materials, piss poor quality control, and slave labor.

Just like 99% of the junk on eBay these days.

I bet if you asked them, they could copy a complete 1JZ too.

post-1850-1220514132_thumb.jpg

this is epic.

5 years ago, a coilover for a cressida = 90 days and $2000

uh... i don't really regret it. I kinda actually want good coilovers thanks.. :D

megan doesn't really count, but i guess some people can try em out if they have a tight budget, i'd expect you get what you pay for though.

something tells me gordon hasnt seen the serial nine product line....

megan is made by the same company that makes BC coilovers, and Apex%I coilovers.

apparently the story goes that BC is the parent company. they were building and selling the shit to megan stupid cheap and saw megan turning a huge profit on it. they decided "fuck all that noise, cut out the middle man" and started selling the BC line for $1000 shipped. they HAVE gotten rave reviews: 240's 350's gc8's, gdA/B, etc.

so yea

doesnt mean theyre not being cranked out of a shitty chineese factory for slave wages with piss poor materials and quality control. thats what their warranty is for.

If you want to have coilovers to have coilovers then get the megans... they dont go low enough for my taste and the spring rates are pretty dull..

if you want good ride height and actually care about performance suspension get the S9s...

Guest DuaxMachine
megan is made by the same company that makes BC coilovers, and Apex%I coilovers.

apparently the story goes that BC is the parent company.

I doubt it.......

The 'net is full of "the story goes" .

I don't believe Elvis is alive, and working for the CIA either.

There are posts on the all knowing, all revealing 'net,

where people have compared the megan & Apex side by side,

and say they are close, but not the same......

(just like a real GReddy BOV, and a chinese one)

But what ever........

Does megan sell replacement parts?

Can you send one in for service?

Can you can call them and get a live person on the phone?

Do they take a standard spring size, so that you can play withh different rates?

You can withh JIC & TEIN.

Consider this,

you can buy a 20 year old set of leaking JICs for $500,

and for $600 more buy new inserts from JIC-USA.

Then you will have a set that will out last your car for the same price.

And as far as megan being better than cut springs.......

I doubt that too.

I have had a X81 since '93.

For the first 10 years I ran it withh just cut springs, good shocks, and a rear sway bar.

It handled & rode great.

Sure, if you don't cut the springs right,

or put them on worn out, or cheap shocks,

your car will ride like shit.

And the whole weld to install thing.

Has anyone here ever worked in a manufacturing environment,

and actually had to deal withh a part pulling to one side while it's being welded,

especially a round part that is inserted into a hole?

I have.

It usually takes a good robotic welding machine & a good fixture to get parts to repeat.

Even then there are problems withh consistancy.

And we are talking about your car's spindle alignment here, not a tail pipe.

Does megan give recomended welding proceedures?

I haven't seen any....

I can kiss the apex curbs at Texas World Speedway lap after lap withh my JICs, or the OEM srtuts, and not think twice about it.

I doubt if a home brew (or local fix-it shop) weld job would take that abuse.

and i totally agree with you about the welding. which is why i bought ameen's tein HA's. ive welded round stock to flat stock in an attempt to make a BOV flange. it warped. i am not a master welder. i do not have the tools or skills to properly complete the job.

however, G has shown great results with his package, and it is just about the same thing as the megans: a heavy duty sleeve that needs to be welded to the stock knuckle. he uses stance coilovers instead of some other cheap china bullshit. i do believe that there are people on this forum and in the world with the tools and skills to properly instal either one of these kits to stock knuckles. G. Stanbo. Ranlet. Feisar. Ameen....all come to mind.

you keep bringing used blown cheap coilovers over from japan and we`ll keep buying them and rebuilding them. but id still like to see the aftermarket flourish for this car. you know from first hand experience how cheap-ass the majority of cressida guys are...i think the cheap china bullshit will be first, followed by new remakes of old parts by big companies when they can see the market has matured/returned for the chasis.

Guest DuaxMachine
you keep bringing used blown cheap coilovers over from japan and we`ll keep buying them and rebuilding them.

Damn, maybe I should list the 2 sets I have in the shop.......

I doubt it.......

The 'net is full of "the story goes" .

I don't believe Elvis is alive, and working for the CIA either.

There are posts on the all knowing, all revealing 'net,

where people have compared the megan & Apex side by side,

and say they are close, but not the same......

(just like a real GReddy BOV, and a chinese one)

But what ever........

Does megan sell replacement parts?yes

Can you send one in for service? one year replacement warante on defects /failure

Can you can call them and get a live person on the phone? yes

Do they take a standard spring size, so that you can play withh different rates? i believe they interchange

You can withh JIC & TEIN.

Consider this,

you can buy a 20 year old set of leaking JICs for $500,

and for $600 more buy new inserts from JIC-USA.

Then you will have a set that will out last your car for the same price.

And as far as megan being better than cut springs.......

I doubt that too.

I have had a X81 since '93.

For the first 10 years I ran it withh just cut springs, good shocks, and a rear sway bar.

It handled & rode great.

Sure, if you don't cut the springs right,

or put them on worn out, or cheap shocks,

your car will ride like shit.

And the whole weld to install thing.

Has anyone here ever worked in a manufacturing environment,

and actually had to deal withh a part pulling to one side while it's being welded,

especially a round part that is inserted into a hole?

I have.

It usually takes a good robotic welding machine & a good fixture to get parts to repeat.

Even then there are problems withh consistancy.

And we are talking about your car's spindle alignment here, not a tail pipe.

Does megan give recomended welding proceedures?

I haven't seen any....

I can kiss the apex curbs at Texas World Speedway lap after lap withh my JICs, or the OEM srtuts, and not think twice about it.

I doubt if a home brew (or local fix-it shop) weld job would take that abuse.

Not to mention pretty good adjust ability on the dampening. I look at like this for 800 dollars nothing beats it . I realize there are better built units but the cost more so in a sense you get what you pay for. But my experience withh the megan coil overs they are worth more then they cost.

Couple of things to add. .

-Getting inserts for JIC's is actually pretty impossible seeing as how most of the X8 stuff is like SA-1's or whatever which is completely discontinued, I called for 2 different sets of inserts like 2 years ago and they were like no way. . FLT's and such can be had though but they are the complete damper itself @ over $220 each.

-I fully agree withh you on the cut springs thing, the shocks are what matters not the spring, cut springs are simply free lowering springs.

-Welding the SERIALNINE strut tube to the knuckle is FOR PROFFESSIONALS only, although i've sold sets to guys who say they "have a guy". . I tell them specifically what to look for in a welder. .

-When you buy a prewelded knuckle from me they are done by a CERTIFIED AEROSPACE welder who is one of the top 3 welders in BC, and when finished it looks like this (before paint).

gsnewpicsnanangsbday061uv2.jpg

Clamped together in a large apparatus, preheated, tacked in 4 places, before welding non continuously.

NOW. . . for those that believe that "worth the money", or "cant be beat" stuff. . I realize everyone has a budget, and needs to buy parts accordingly, everyone is on some sort of budget. But the "cost " of buying lower quality product sometimes cannot be measured in dollars only. For example. . sure they are only $800 or whatever. . but if they do not PERFORM how you want or need them to, this costs YOU. . Costs in time, aggravation, competition, enjoyment, and MAYBE.. . AFTER you've bought the cheaper ones. . .You END UP buying the expensive ones ANYWYAYS. . believe me. . I've seen it many many times. . And they all say. . shit i should've bought this shit in the first place. .

Now dont get me wrong. . I have no idea how the MEGAN's perform or anything. . withh the advent of CHINA, quality is coming up closer to good. . I have a customer withh them in his 400hp accord and he's happy. . . . I didn't like the damping, but for that car there is NOTHING else available. . so fuck it. .

And you know what? . . . .just cuz something is expensive, doesn't make it good. . . I used to carry JIC and i thought it was THE BEST shit EVER. . (i'd used it long before it came to USA and THAT stuff was dope.) So i became a dealer and bought all their stuff etc. . only to get (US VALVED) $2100 super soft, nice looking dampers that blew in two months. . YUP two months. . sent back to get the PROPER valving which took FOREVER only to have them blow again withhin the year. . . apparently due to running a 180mm spring instead or the recommended 200mm one. (cuz they didn't go low enough) . ?!?!? Needless to say, after the spherical bearings in their UCA's developed audible, clunking play after 6 months of street driving, I quickly dropped the line. . . In my opinion it was EXPENSIVE junk. . . Now, im not trying to slag JIC . .This was only my experience, others swear by it and have had no problems. . Im merely using it as an example on the other end of the spectrum. My thoughts were, buy the best and be done withh it, but it cost me. . boy did it cost me. My car was down for months awaiting the rebuilt/revalved dampers. . everytime i drove the car i was dissapointed etc. . paying over $2000 for height adjustability. . EXPENSIVE. .in both Dollars AND headaches. .

Back to the MEGAN's. . Example.. you wanna dump your car. . and you dont wanna spend that much. . buy MEGANS right? ? well.. wrong.. what happens when you go to SLAM the shit out of your ride. .dropping the damper all the way down, and even the spring . . . You're all stoked to roll withh your homies and their kitted out, slammed, deep rimmed 240's thinking, "ill show the haters how dope sedans are" and OOPS!! STILL gap?!?!? . . and there is nothing you can do to dump it more.. Congratulations, you've just spent $800 on something that didn't meet your needs. . so now you have to live withh it. . and their bouncy. . .and they feel funny front to back cuz they didn't spend any time testing them, and they've just started clunking. . . . they're worth it though right ? ?

Like I said. .i personally havent used them .. so Im not gonna talk shit. . This is all hypthothetical. . . But ask yourself this. . .Who is using MEGAN ? ? Read up on the net . .. are they good ? are they shit. ? ? Who knows. .but ill tell you this. .If you want something that PERFORMS how you want it. .and many guys are using and loving them . .. and they SPONSOR competetive racing and are WINNING in drifting AND track racing !!!! the STANCES are the shit. . . . Its all about VALUE, not the monetary cost. . . . I've personally driven them daily and drifted on two different sets for months and I love them. . and Im hard to please. . I'm PROUD of my product, and stand behind it 110% I know all my customers first names and they all know me. . That is worth something to some people. .

But serio. . save longer. . be happier. .its common sense. . get what you WANT, not what you can. . HEADACHES ARE EXPENSIVE!!!! how much is YOUR time worth. . Ask yourself, IF you had the money, which would you buy? Then get those ones. . cuz you'll be happy . . . (I cant afford Penske's either ;) )

Would you rather be ENJOYING the dope shit you saved up for. . or Cursing the cheap shit you hastily bought cuz you though you couldn't "afford " it. .

But if MEGAN's fit your bill. . let me know how they are. . Im interested. .

G.

Sorry to threadjack. . I simply followed the direction it was taking. .