Sign in to follow this  
Demesio

JZ to BMW ZF

Have any of you guys tried doing this conversion? I'm going to give it a try just because i got a spare engine and cressida... we'll see how it goes.

Your ratios will be dicked. Already looked into it.  I think those cars normally have a 3.1 or 3.2 diff in them, so you're gonna be geared really high.

I'm reaching way back into my memory from two or three years ago, but that's vaguely what I remember.

There was also a yolk or tailshaft adaptation problem from what I remember.

What he said.........

so what you're saying i should do is do this swap with the 84 mercedes instead where the rear is around 3.5 and there are options of 2.8 all over the place... 

What I'm saying is to shit-can the idea of using that trans due to the absolutely crappy ratios....
First is too damn low for a performance trans, as is 6th for being too damn high.

Super low first so any 80 year old can puts through a mall parking lot, and 6th that puts up great 'green' numbers for the EPA.
So basically, a decent 4-speed, with a bunch of useless weight.

Pretty much all those ZF and Getrag transmissions are geared like this.  They are all really low, like around 3.0.  Even the MKIV Supra had a 3.13 paired with the Getrag V160.

Eventually I'll probably swap out my ring and pinion in my MKIII LSD for a 3.5, but the CDxx9 trans that I have is going to have horrible ratios too, which Gordo has already made his disgust apparent.

The 3.5 is going to get me closer, but it's still going to suck.

i forgot this forum is hates anything that's different...

I'll follow up in a year or two when i get around to it...

True about this forum, but take it with a grain of salt. I know a few people with a supposed impossible trans-ratio combo like me, but they're happy as a pig in slop with it, go figure. I know Ricky is happy with how his CD009 drives, but is salty about how much chopping he had to do to his tunnel. 

Looking at the ZF trans, they seem to have a smaller bearing plate. Fitment wise, maybe it's easier, I don't know. 

Gordo is quick to shit on the CD and ZF trans, but he has fondled many a tranny in his time, while I have not. He knows what trannies feel good and which ones don't, so I'm not afraid to dub him the tranny expert. He knows how trannies are geared better than any of us, so maybe go with his advice. 

P.S, gordo likes trannies. 

Transvestites ?

I know 2 people who have done this swap. One in a GX90, the other in a GX81. 

The 'net is FULL of these poorly thought out trans swaps,
just like it's full of guys like uni, better known as captain obvious.

The 'net is FULL of +1K used to shit R154 with 7M bellhousings... sure that's cool for you, but your engine needs to run to make power hahahaha

I just have spare time and cars, if i can put a spare 2jzgte in any car with a 5 speed i can sell it to some jamoke for 7K... i'll be good

I've always been curious about the STI 6-speed transmission. Forget about the center diff and outputs for front axles, but they are pretty stout 6-speeds. ratio isn't too bad. STI has a 3.9 final like the Cressida. I like the way my STI 6-speed shifts too. I think 1-4 in the STI are shorter than most (rally gears?). Idk they seem plentiful. Seems like a fun trans to drift on.

Nope, don't go there........

They are based on the same 6-speed Aisin J160 that infects the S15, RX8, Miata, and New 86.
Only in aftermarket form do they hold much more than 250 HP.

That is what is going into my X8, but it's built by HPI, with the Nismo close ratio gear set, that has less angle on the teeth to reduce side thrust, and completely WPC processed to increase strength.
Even then, they are only good for about 425 HP.
I am going with a carbon fiber drive shaft (springier than steel or aluminum), and a 7 lb. flywheel just to reduce shock loads on it.
Cost:  twice as much as a new TKO600, about 5k, not including adaptation.
Watch me cry when I break mine.....

Besides, you just can't plug the holes for the front axles because of center differential, car will not go anywhere, unless you weld it solid.

I've said this before, pick up a new TKO600 with the road race gear set.
It's a nice, high torque capable 5-speed, with a 2.9-ish first, a .86-ish 5th, meant to be hammered on by a pig-iron V8, light, and costs $2600.
I have had an adaptor to go from a Detroit 5-speed, to a Toyota auto bell housing, that I can probably put my hands on to copy, or at least get the dimensions off of, then clutch disks for either ford or chevy spline, and a hydraulic throw-out bearing, custom drive shaft, and you are good to go.