Sign in to follow this  
timtiminy

digital speedometer x8

Was there a mx83 speedometer that was driven off a VSS rather than cable driven other than the digital cluster? Or a speedometer off an entirely different car that could work in the stock location of the cluster (same size with matching reset button location) thats vss driven? 

I don't want have to buy one of these to drive drive the stock mechanical speedo off a vss  https://www.speedhut.com/Speedbox.html

I'll probably go with a cheap gps speedo until i figure out something that will look stock. May just say fuck it and have to deal with it but thought I'd ask if its been done before

No. There were other X8 chassis that did though.

GX81/JZX81 cars did.

The tach and speedo locations are swapped, and you have to do a lot of filing and fuckery to get it to work. So no, the reset stick to the trip wheel won't line up.

I was going to post in this thread within the next month on how to put MKIV Supra speedo cluster guts behind the stock speedo face along with a GX81 tach face into an X83 cluster and feed them through Dakota Digital conversion boxes via an unused ABS sensor for a speed signal.

I'm pissed at my cars at the moment, so I don't feel like answering a bunch of questions.

It can be done, but it's a huge amount of time/effort/money/hackery.

I'll elaborate more on it or post something in the tech section in a few weeks/months

went google hunting and found something that might work...

100 series landcruiser speedo

s-l1600.jpg

What trans are you running ?

My S15 6-speed didn't have a mechanical drive either, but I added one.
Had to machine a hole in the side, and add an S14 speedo gear onto the shaft.

ar5, theres a trigger wheel on the tailshaft thats read by a vss in the same rough location as the speedo drive on the r154. unsure if its actually part of the tailshaft or removable. I guess its possible if it is removable to replace it with a worm gear but thats a big if and then theres the whole issue of the speedo drive gear being at the right height off of the tailshaft housing for the gears to mesh and finding the right gears for the correct speedo reading. Being that the trans is already in the car i'm thinking it might be easier to mod the cluster for a digital speedo.

After a while dropping trans becomes second nature.

Can't remember how many times I had dropped the trans on my X8, with playing musical converters with every high stall converter huckster telling me that 'oh sure, we can build a 5k stall converter for you' then failing miserably,
and snapping off crank shaft bolts, and converter bolts repeatedly.
Something Toyota didn't consider when they thought a 7M would ever 6500 rpm.

Too bad you weren't looking for a cable to digital speedo converter, I have one of those. Speedo cable plugs into it, and it sends out the correct signal for the digital speedo.

Hm, people have bolted the R154 tail housing to the AR5, but never tried putting the R154 output shaft into it,
which would be the next logical step.

I have both @gordo, it doesnt work.

bearing sizes are different, like trying to put the mk3 tailhousing on a late model tripod trans.

But you don't have a lathe or a mill in your garage :)

If I had told people that I was going to put the 5th gear assembly out of an IS300 trans into my X8's A340E, they would have said the same thing.
It wasn't a bolt-on mod, but it worked. 

There are bearings with the same OD, but different ID, as there are ones with the same ID, but different OD.
Cases can be bored, shafts can be turned, and sleeves can be pressed into housings or on shafts.

I just think people have not tried hard enough yet.....

Second gen or "facelift" mx83's in Australia used a sensor driven speedometer rather than a mechanical driven one. Make a friend with an Aussie and get them to trawl a wreckers for you. 

Good to know Ben, I'll have to hit up some Aussies then!