Sign in to follow this  
Gibbs

Rear Upper Control Arm ball joint cheap fix

made a video on how i cheap fixed my rear upper control arm ball joints

No such word as 'grounded', unless you are talking about electrical power distribution. (electrical ground - "make sure you grounded the machine correctly")
The past tense of 'grind', is just 'ground'. 

And you welded on a Chinese ball joint ?
You realize that it probably had a plastic seat in it, right ?

There is no weight on the upper control arm, just side loading, all the weight is transferred directly to the shock mount on the upright.
So the snap ring probably would have been just fine. It's probably not now, as getting spring steel that hot will kill the heat treatment it had.

Have you been spending too much time on facebook, or ziptied ?

took time welding it as it does have the plastic seat in it made sure we kept it alive the ball joints are literally $3. also i cant stand facebook so no haven't been there lately.

made sure i didn't have to worry about it falling out on me in case the snap ring does fail.

So did the taper on the ball joint stem fit the upright ?

Following.. If the taper is correct, this might be a decent option. Let us know how they hold up after being welded on.

everything fit just fine and bolted up like normally. I haven't driven the car yet but i will be this week and check back in

I have one pair of the sleeves to use the Supra lower control arm bearings, and since you into Chinese suspension parts, they are making the Supra bushings now, on eBay for $15 each. Just punch in the Toyota p/n, and you will find them.

You will get rid of all the clunks back there.

You can run JZX100 rear arm's they are 10mm shorter so will give you camber, but if you buy adjustable ones you can sort it all out with arms and shit. 

47 minutes ago, ROBAPHENT said:

You can run JZX100 rear arm's they are 10mm shorter so will give you camber, but if you buy adjustable ones you can sort it all out with arms and shit. 

Do you have any more info on this? 

Fuck, 10mm ?
Would never clear my rear rims, I may have a whole 3mm between my wheel lip, and my coil-overs now.

JZS155 Rear arm into X8 how to, 

Part number for JZS155 Rear arm is 48770-30010 

That part number is shared across 

1996-09/2000TOYOTA MARK 2GX10*,JZX10*,LX100
09/1996-05/2001TOYOTA CHASERGX10*,JZX10*,LX100,SX100
09/1996-05/2001TOYOTA CRESTAGX10*,JZX10*,LX100
08/1995-07/2001TOYOTA CROWN, CROWN MAJESTAGS151,JZS15*,LS151,UZS15*

I just wish XM would quit being a cock tease and make RUCAs already.. 

Make your own with off the shelf parts like mine.

DSC06749.jpg

Edited by Gordo
Adding image that only people who want to view adult auto poern can see

XM cant even make lower control arms that zero out, i would not put my trust in them making upper arms 

To be fair, XM does make RLCAs that zero out, but you have to specify that is what you want when you order them. Otherwise their default is to send you longer RLCAs that will allow for more camber since most of these new wave Cressida builders are more about sick fitment and wide wheels than 0 degrees of camber.

To your point though, they should make this more clear in their description for the arms on their website. I asked them to make mine shorter so I could zero out my camber on stock body and they did and my XM arms zero out rear camber, so I know it's possible, but in default form, it's not possible.

I had them custom make items before (extend front LCA by an inch), lets just say i have a $500+ door stop/paper weight as the  item did not fit and when i contacted them they did not want to hear about it and ended up not responding. 

But i see your point with stance fad and why they would make something to suit. but in saying that it is 10mm(CBF translating to MERICA format)  they could have sorted that out like S9 did with there design that works for all. 

You had them make custom arms to your specifications, and they didn't fit ?

Guess you need to look at the guy in the mirror.......

I'm no real big fan of XM, with things like that weak-ass harness bar, that they finally wised up, and stop making, and their copies of the Kazama engine mounts, that they swore up & down as not being copies of Kazama mounts,
but I like a lot of their stuff, and when Rue asked them to make taller RCA's for his car, and they were made to his spec.s, and were really nice pieces. Nicer than anything I've ever seen in Japan.

/facepalm 

I said i need your front LCA's and i need them 1 inch longer then stock. as i did not want to have to adjust it for the extra 1 inch, i wanted to have it un adjusted and be longer. when i got the item's they extended the incorrect end so sway bar mounts would not fit. ij could just chop them and weld the mounts back but i just went S13 LCA's in the end and gave up dealing with XM. 

I've heard good and bad with XM. I have almost all of their chassis stuff for the X8, as well as the engine and trans mounts, dual caliper kit, etc. The only gripes I've had are the standard heim Joints they use are garbage. Lasted 2 track events and less than 1k of street driving before becoming loose/noisy.. You can ask that they be upgraded to better joints which did last a full season of events, however they are bad again. I know that to a point, this is common for heim joints, but it is still a little disappointing that the better option isn't pushed when buying.. I will be replacing them again and using "Sealsit" boots on them to see if that helps. They also had an issue with their polyurethane rack mount bushings at one point and they made that right for me at no charge.

Other than that, I've had no issues that weren't self inflicted. Considering that most other cost significantly more, I can't really complain. Plus any time I've called them and needed anything they (usually Rich himself) is always helpful and fast. Even breaking down one of their kits and overnighting me a single tension rod that I had damaged. Their customer service has been the best I've ever dealt with. Again, just my personal experience. Not arguing as I have heard several negative experiences as well.

Also to note:  My rear arms (off the shelf) when zeroed out as much as possible are at -0.3 deg. While yes, that is not true 0deg.. It is as close as I need/want and still wear my back tires even side to side. I agree that they should be able to adjust closer to zero, but they were pretty close.

Honestly, I don't care if Autozone started making replacement RUCAs. I would just replace them every season under lifetime warranty lol. Just need some (any) options if I want to be a lazy ass and not have to build something custom. And as much as I like Gordo's arms, I don't want to re-taper my knuckles.. (It might come to this eventually anyways)

I used cheap rod ends (not as cheap as XM uses, but nearly) on my Datsun's 4-link, and the first time I really hammered it, they all stretched, and one broke.

Just buy better rod ends from someone like QA1, with a forged body. They are only about $20 a pop (well for 5/8" anyway).
I hammer the shit out of the truck, and no more failures.