Sign in to follow this  
battleaxe

Intermittent Starting issue

Been having this problem since I bought the car. I have done zero diagnoses other than looking at stuff and changing the battery and having the starter rebuilt and adding some grounds to the motor.

Looking through the FSM, at a Canadian automatic model, it shows ignition cylinder, intermediate fuse in the driver kick panel on the back, i believe fuse "F". then goes to the neutral switch (which I believe is looped on my chassis as I don't need to put the clutch in to start (wiring was not done by me) then goes to the starter wire that grounds? so the 12v thats on the starter from my battery (fused inline)?

Battery is good

Starter was fully rebuilt and "tested" - I don't cross this out as problems do happen.

car will either start, or click and not start...can take like 30+ clicks to get it to start again

this leads me to believe it does ground, ignition always clicks and isnt visibly damaged.

I was told to put an external relay at the starter, but I keep thinking its not bypassing anything by being at the starter because whatever is not allowing it to start is still in the cards.

anyone ever experience this at all? i have the values for testing from the FSM, but currently i need a new multi meter as mine does not read correct anymore or the battery is dying. I can not find this problem anywhere on the internet and so assume no one has ever had this problem ever. I will say the wiring is an absolute mess, but other than the intermittent start, it runs without a hiccup. the harness will be removed and cleaned/replaced and haltech'd once i get a year of actual driving out of this thing because the curse always looms.

What motor do you have swapped into it? On a JZS161, if you don't wire the starter signal from the ECU, it can make it harder to start.

On my motor, it's the STA #2 pin on the F59 plug.

From Wilbo's site: "This pin is used to determine if the engine is being cranked. The engine ECU can take action to allow the engine to start easier if it is aware that the engine is trying to be started. This pin is connected to battery voltage when the ignition switch is in CRANK position."

"I was told to put an external relay at the starter, but I keep thinking its not bypassing anything by being at the starter because whatever is not allowing it to start is still in the cards."

You're correct, this wouldn't help your case.

The clicking indicates that your starter relay is good and getting a signal.

The fact that someone else did your wiring and it's kind of a mess makes me think this person didn't do the greatest job. The janky wiring I've seen people do is downright appalling.

sorry, non vvti 1jz into mx83 chassis. my mx83 is a canadian auto from factory.

jza70 ecu, chipped/modded

Pretty sure intermittent starters is common on all old Toyotas, do you have a relay to the starter trigger or going completely off oem wiring?

If not add a relay to pull the power from battery and problem solved. Happens with all x7s I own.

Desipite what Boris said. My car also would sometimes start fine and sometimes click. I tried everything in the end a 5 dollar relay fixed the problem and never saw it again.

Now Everytime I just wire one in when doing a swap. Haha

I agree with what Whoremouth is saying, but I think it's more dependent on what ECU you have.

If you have OEM wiring for an automatic ECU, it's asking for a few different signal wires related to the neutral start switch.

1JZ_ECU_Pin_Outs_Supra_MK3_JZA70_Complet

In the diagram, you can see that there are pins S, L and STA, all of which are tied into your Neutral Start Switch.

I think that could be causing your current problem. On my motor, I have to have this wire for the ECU to sense that the engine is trying to be started.

Without hooking it up, my motor won't start.

Not disagreeing with Whoremouth, but I would suggest adding the STA wire at a minimum. Not too much effort and it might help you out