Sign in to follow this  
timtiminy

Russian fiberglass

Browsing the bay, saw a seller dpcustomsvl selling frp fenders, trunks and doors. thought I'd let you guys building grandpa race cars know.

You should buy some, and report back on how badly they fit.

eh, nothing a little bondo won't fix, right... I'll leave that up to you though. Im keeping my body mostly stock.

Sorry, not me.

I've bought 2 items out of Russia, and got fucked both times.

I won't even buy Russian ammo for my SKS. I'll buy Chinese ammo for it, but not the ruesky shit.

Besides, they state that their parts, like doors & trunk lids fit several different X8 models, that in real life, the doors & trunks don't interchange.

I know your a nube here, so sit up and listen........

Stop with posting things that you have not tried yourself, or have first hand info on.

We are mostly all experienced with using the 'net here, and don't need help finding new stuff for a dying car.

Save that shit for your little buddies on FaceFuck.

Lol this. Crappy Russian steel cased ammo is so damn dirty. No thanks.

I'm still shocked at how much crap I get for spending "lots of money" on OEM parts. There are so many advantages to OEM over aftermarket.

You know the quality will be good.

Shit will probably bolt up without too much modifying.

"But Boris, you spent 50 bucks on a rear main seal, when you could have got a poverty China one for 35!"

Yes, and I don't mind doing so. People cheaping out on such small stuff blows my mind.

OP, find a way to get proper OEM fenders/bumpers/trunk lids. The amount of effort you'll spend trying to mod shit fiberglass won't be worth it

My Japanese FRP parts fit just fine....

Right. When I said "aftermarket" I was mainly referring to the people who feel like buying the chinese ebay stuff or autozone brand stuff or 30 dollar wastegates, etc.

The people who seem to think that the absolute cheapest, rock bottom components are the only way to go are the people that make no sense to me.

:(

It's hard to make a taxi look like a GT1 race car, no matter what you glue/tape/pop rivet onto it....

@ jacob

i agree to a point. there have been some really nice aero builds here but by and large they all sell or leave and were left with stalwarts sticking to the oem look.

not that i hate it. simplicity always wins out in the end.

Yes we know about KFD. The interesting story is BIGWIN in Japan is the originator of the S9 type 1. Their body kit actually takes the BN Sports body kit for a JZX100 and molded it to a JZX81.

BIGWIN sells their kit, then SerialNine replicates it for easier availability in North America/Canada. KFD buys SerialNine's kit and replicates it to charge a third the price worldwide. Joe's Aero in Mexico buys the KFD replicated SerialNine kit and sells his kits for half the price of S9, but more than KFD because his kits come in 1-piece, not cut in half like KFD.

BIGWIN = Kind of replica

SerialNine = Replica of a kind of replica

KFD = Replica of a replica of a kind of replica

Joe's Aero = Replica of a replica of a replica of a kind of replica

Funny enough, the fiberglass and mold quality goes down as you go down the list.

it is pretty funny that having an x83 with aero in the US pretty much means one style.

Ricer ?

Loved the history lesson......

In the mean time, most of the Missile/Absolute stuff is still available in Japan:

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/missile_miyamoto_69;_ylt=A7dPGOcrELFa7X0AQ1uhGzx8?p=JZX81&auccat=&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8&anchor=1&slider=0

Plus a new player in the game, Monster Service, who offers a 'Rocket Bunny' style X8 kit:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b301735524

1200x807-2018031800002.jpg

1052x592-2018021400001.jpg

1200x651-2018021400002.jpg

Oh wow! I'm not usually a huge Rocket bunny fan, but that does look nice. Maybe it's just the change of scenery for this chassis, but I dig it. They did a nice job with the rear door split too.

is dat some plexi rear window flying buttress c-pillar conversion?

i cant help but focus on how upright the ducktail spoiler is.

That guy in Russia with the super wild x7 chaser made a FRP hood, front fenders, and trunk for his car. I tried to see if he would send a set my way, but he said shipping was too much to be worth it.

Missile/Absolute still offers hoods.