brian

Bought a Mark II JZX81

So many good points here. I've been married for 10 years and have 2 kids now.. I have 10 cars and have only sold 1 at the wife's recommendation (it was a mistake I've since learned from). The kids to put the brakes on stuff to a point, but you can still push through and make progress if you are dedicated.

The biggest things that have helped are:

-Make your intentions VERY clear from day 1. If you want to be Jay Leno on a budget and race on top of that, tell her on day 1. Make it clear that you are planning to do this with or without her on board and with kids or no kids.. Most women won't deal with it very well, some will. Better to determine that before you've been married, have kids, and can't afford to get divorced, let alone have any hobbies..

-Know ahead of time what kids involve.. They will suck time and money out of your life in ways that you can't even imagine. It's not necessarily a bad thing because they are your kids and that is more special than cars will ever be, but if you want to avoid being that guy who posts a for sale ad reading: "Selling due to kids". make plans ahead of time to be able to pay for them as well as your hobbies. Maybe have a second job for a while, reduce debt, find things to sell, etc.. You have at minimum 9 months to get yourself financially prepared. Then make a strict budget and figure out how or if you can sustain your hobby. I thought I had this figured out pretty well, but I was not prepared for the realization that childcare for 2 kids cost more than my mortgage.. Also your available time to work on the cars will decrease. Even the most understanding wife will start demanding some help with the kids. Not necessarily enjoyable when they are toddler/monsters, but keep looking forward to when they are old enough to shit where they are supposed to and maybe learn how to work on cars with you. Again, the answers vary here, but be aware what you are in for before you agree to having kids

Gibbs and Brian are exactly right. Money and time management are the keys to doing this stuff with a family. Honestly, budgeting and scheduling make up a large part of my life anymore. Plus I am lucky enough to have a very frugal wife.

Also agree 100% with ChriSOL! It's so disappointing to see some people who have managed to collect so many projects that will just sit in their yard and get trashed before they ever get around to them.. Land and vehicle storage is the best investment you can make for an automotive hobby. 

Anyways.. Sorry for that little rant, but finding the balance of managing family/kids along with planning and building vehicles is a huge focus for us lately. 

I agree with this having a wife and son there is sure a balance with having the kids hobbies and spending time with the wife.  

I find I am able to spend 30 min to a hour a day playing with my hobby hot wheels or my car hobby.

I normally only like having one hobby car at a time being I dont have time to spend on more.

That feel when I'm 26 and have no girlfriend, wife or kids.

I would have money in my pocket, but I spend it all on my dumb cars and motorcycles.

Most girls I've dated have a problem with my car and motorcycle hobby/want kids. 

Don't want kids and I hope I can find a girl someday that is cool with my hobbies.

Until then? feelslonelyman :(

Didn't expect this much wisdom from a bunch of autists.

Looks like I am good. Thanks for all the sound advice. Noted for later :D

I have been married now for just over a year, i have cut back on car's and have made a deal on 4. 

My MX32, My Street JZX81, My race JZX81 and then a future car im yet to decided. (lead sled/hotrod or some stupid tube frame fast fucker race car with some toyota shell on top with 1UZ twin turbo at a minimum and a 1:1 power to weight) 

I have seen my car funds get lower and lower but in saying that i have multiple houses and about to buy my forever home where a huge budget has gone to a shed 6 car minimum with 2nd floor. so the wife and i work out a lot and while i do see a lot more in her favour im not un happy it has put me back on track with my car's 

Kids are on the cards but and i do see me putting a fund aside of BMX's, Gokarts and Gaming lol

so while she has a little issue with me blowing money on car's but she also see's they bring me joy and happiness so she is ok with that. i should also add we have made a new deal i can get a motorbike if the new house is more then 50KM away from work lol. 

Yikes, 50km away from work? I'm looking for a new place (to rent, lets be honest I can't afford to buy anything in Vancouver) and have set my acceptable distance to 8km (sub 4km to the beach and sub 1km to a bar) ...but also thanks for chiming in Boris, glad I'm not the only fucker here without a wife and kids.

Yeah man. I'm living a pretty easy, unburdened debt free life, but for some reason life is boring sometimes, even with hobbies. 

Work my 9-5 every day and that's about it. Lots of free time, so i guess I shouldn't complain. Dating gets kind of old and unpromising after a while. I know only one girl who loves cars and doesn't want kids, and she's taken. 

Life is weird man. I guess I'll buy a saxophone so I can slay some middle aged poon since I have nothing better to do 

2 hours ago, NAC said:

Yikes, 50km away from work? I'm looking for a new place (to rent, lets be honest I can't afford to buy anything in Vancouver) and have set my acceptable distance to 8km (sub 4km to the beach and sub 1km to a bar) ...but also thanks for chiming in Boris, glad I'm not the only fucker here without a wife and kids.

Australia. 

50km is about an 1 hour drive. Wife works out in the opposite direction so it was a good middle ground. 

going with the new age and how kids are non binary and so on i feel you should didicate your kid to the JZX and call it 

JZX81MARK2 

MARK is too masculine. You need to choose something more gender neutral to give the non-binary a chance to explore their inner self. 

Name it after your goals, JZXProjectREBORN.

I had this conversation with my colleagues. I will never ever understand how or why people sell their cars or projects when they get married/have kids. Me and my girl have been together for going on 8yrs (in 2 weeks) we have a house and 2 cats, kids, probably start doing that within a year or so. I told her from the get go, this is my hobby and no one tells me what to do. I make my money and so long as our bills are paid, you can buy whatever the hell you want and I will not tell you what to do with your money. I'm the financially responsible one and I do what I want. Anyone who gives up or gives in needs to assess their fucking life. I can agree having more than a few cars is dumb, but ppl gonna be ppl. I have 6 cars and a bike..I don't need them...but I want them and have no interest in selling for a loss, I'm not efamous enough to make money on a loss lol.

Well to be honest; one thing does happen when you have kids... you start to like them.  This changes you dynamically.  Sometimes it enhances your other interests, sometimes it distracts you.  But one thing for sure is, you will have as much passion for them as you do for any of your hobbies.  For a man, it takes more time, but one day you'll be in the garage and the urge to play with your son is as strong as the urge to finish whatever thing you're working on.  Hopefully they grow up liking what you like.

i look forward to being a father. i tend to do many things while i work in the shed and end up just being outside to be outside. whether my kids like what i do or not, they will learn to work regardless and hopefully find some interest in it so they can be self sufficient. I will always do what i need to to have fun and do my thing. i wont neglect my kids in the same breath.  some are better at finances and time management than others. Ive also been skidding for a very long time and have started to appreciate the slowing down side of things. I can take it or leave it, not a feast or famine thing for me with these stupid car things.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, Lofty said:

This may be the most wholesome thread on JZXP. 

Fuck off Cunt, 

there we go, i fixed this thread and its now back to JZXP spec's 

speaking of kids slowing down builds, the most exciting thing for the car lately is finding all the original rear badges.  paid $200 for these.

66F3DE92-B4DE-4F41-894F-7FB091E0ECDF.jpeg

so the goal for the engine is basically keep it looking as near stock as possible but do around 400 wheel.  still trying to decide on what standalone to go with.  ecumaster, aem, link or haltech.

7405822C-02AF-4452-9A21-9A686A010DB8.png

Who's going to be doing your tuning? That would be the determining factor for what stand-alone. Some tuners prefer some systems over others and will have better results using what they are used to.

^^ all the ECUs you listed have more or less the same features.  From experience I can definitely say pick the ECU the tuner you trust recommends.

dont get a ecu masters you will regret it

just sayin, i've got 3 years on the infinity... daily driving, so being parked in a garage shouldn't be a problem ;)

i should look at my plugs sometime soon🤔