LUMBERZACK

Mediocre at Cresst - now with nsfw autophilia

Gordo, I agree to your point about throttle dependent vibration being due to poor rear end setup which is why I installed a different differential, but it maintained the same noise. Maybe they both have poor backlash?

i am running an XM one-piece, but it is an older unit from back when they subbed out the driveshafts to their local driveshaft shop. It has the other shop’s sticker on it. Haha

^^ Probably better, their current "balancer" is made from an old lathe.  I took my shaft from them to a local DS shop, and it was way outta balance, especially in the front (where there were no weights what so ever)

Hm, two diffs in a row making the same vibration unlikely.

Bad gears in the trans ?

I have a 4 year old XM driveshaft in mine and there is no vibration besides the occasional non-round wheel/tire. Easy starting point would be to have the driveshaft checked/balanced. What about the rear CV axles? Maybe they are excessively worn? I've never heard of one failing, but I suppose it's possible to get worn to the point of being out of balance.

Don't you have that stupid MA70 diff carrier conversion? Mine vibrated like a motherfucker with that and the XM trans mount until I ditched them for stock shit

Stock 3 bolt mount X8 diff here. I really don't get why people change them over. The guts from the Mk3 unit fit and they are plenty strong..

Oh that was meant for Zack. I thought I saw an MA70 diff earlier in this thread

My vibration isn't throttle dependent it's speed dependent.  And balancing didn't fix it, I assume I damaged something in the trans already.  And there isn't really a detectable amount under 100-110MPH but it gets wild quick.  And it happened with my old rear end setup before I changed diff, axles, hubs.  So I feel like at this point I'm just gonna assume either trans damaged or it's just normal as I'm running stiff mounts everywhere and solid in the rear (S9 not XM) 

I had similiar issue with weird vibrations & noises in the rear of my car and turns out my axle was toast. replaced it and bam problem fixed. 

i also have the vibrations I've come to live with it as everything is solid in the rear end. sub-frame, diff and all new arm bushings

Can vouch for jp-carparts, order from them all the time. Service and shipping is great.

Not much has changed since my last update, mostly because I haven't had the need to change much. Recently though, I finally received my Toyota Crown Taxi knuckles and had the time to do the supplementary mods. I bought new x8 outer tie rods, new x8 LCA's and had my friend Marc extend them 19mm. He even added a gusseted plate to the bottom for a nicer look and a little bit of rigidity.

48538027236_7df524f8ce_c.jpg

48538205882_266f7b9d89_c.jpg

48538171227_bae133d2f5_c.jpg

Taxi knuckles!

48538029041_f3a899ea65_c.jpg

As I installed the LCA's and shortened knuckles, I came to realize that the tie-rods I had were too short for the extra length I needed. I had myself in a pickle as always, since I needed to have my car driving the next day. I looked into buying longer outer tie rods. I referenced the old thread here from ages ago and looked at all of the outer and inner tie rod variations and consulted Moog's universal tie rod database. I settled on buying longer inners from a 1987 Toyota Corolla since they were the only option my local Autozone had. They are I believe 10.7" long compared to x8's 9.5" long? They fit great and work for what I need, although I'm a little concerned about the diameter of them being slightly thinner than OE.

48538029401_798a4cdaaa_c.jpg

Not much negative camber was added in the front. I believe it is around -4 or so. Which is actually perfect for me since I daily more than drift.

48538173177_cc3d476e93_c.jpg

48538061831_e3140cdf5c_c.jpg

Idk much about angle, but it seems to be okay.

48538172017_731d4e3246_c.jpg

48538172752_bcee787684_c.jpg

48538029231_744b74ecf3_c.jpg

@AcidTrip Came to AZ, so I picked him up to do hood rat shit.

48538171617_158dd0a445_c.jpg

We went fucking skid racing chaps.

48538059101_5570529e49_c.jpg

48538023691_f8c3b1f91e_c.jpg

All in all, I'm very happy with how the car handles currently. Steers great, has enough angle for my level of driving and power, tons of grip and so on. 
I do have a 27mm front sway bar coming from Australia and a 25mm rear bar sitting on my porch. Those will be my next mods that I'm excited to test!

This car already feels very tight like a new car, I'm hoping the sway bars just give me that extra help cutting down the body roll so it doesn't feel as much like drifting the family's 30 y/o couch.

when i did my longer LCAs i just used 2 of the long x8 inners and then centered the rack. worked for the 15-20mm or whatever i lengthened mine.  With long LCAs, x7 rack and OEM knuckles i got a whole bunch of angle and is perfect for how i drive (no backies, those are for chumps)

DId you find the vibration? i still have it in mine (ive done nothing) and the only other x8 driver ive met, he has it too and has done all the mods, diff and sub bushings, all arms, driveshaft etc.  I have 100% stock everything in the back minus my kaaz diff set to spec, and i got mad vibrations, but they steady out the faster i go, so....yolo?

Yeah I guess with my knuckles and relocated rack, I was only getting maybe .5"-3/4" of thread engagement on the inners which is sketch imo. I was using x8 drivers inners on both sides too. But yeah, just my mild stock modded setup is perfect for what I'm looking for. No backies, put plenty enough to get the smoke going.

I rebalanced the wheels and the vibration got better, but still exists. I measured the angle of my trans output shaft and pinion angle and they are 1.5 degrees of each other which is within spec per Toyota TSRM, so I know it's not that. Idk what it could be, so I say YOLO. @acidtrip rode in my car and said my vibration is tame compared to his, so imma just let it be. I don't really do 80-140mph pulls with ZR1 Corvettes and twin turbo Gallardos anyway. lol I just like my shit feeling as nice as the amount of money I dump into it, but that's too much to ask for.

48577540587_421a5667ed_c.jpg

48577388566_ddeae5d078_c.jpg

48577388341_ca94809299_c.jpg

48577388711_680d5222b6_c.jpg

Hell ya brother! 

Whats the reasoning behind strengthening the LCAs.  I'd always rather bend one of those as they are 25 bucks on ebay vs. the subframe tabs/strut tube.   But then again I'm probably the only retard hitting stuff haha

Stop flex while driving, before hitting something.

Gordo...you don't drift on a regular basis. I too am anti reinforce LCAs.  Drift car no, Grip car yes.

I just powered through my vibration...was in the 180kmhr speed for sure as I had the bottom of my stomach drop for a second in the event i lost control of my steers..which also sucks due to the bushings i have that are somehow made of grease?

now im curious what the same factor is in all the builds that this would be universal to the x8

Idk, my buddy just added the plate to the bottom. People keep bringing up bending the arm rather than the subframe, which makes total sense, but I can't remember a time where I have said, "wow, I'm so glad my a-arm isn't reinforced" 
I guess if you hit a lot of shit, then maybe don't reinforce it, but if you don't hit a lot of shit, then I guess it's a mute point.

I mean, what if I reinforce my subframe? Checkmate Satan.

What if I cut a relief in the bottom plate to centralize a bend if such impact occurs? Necessary? Fixing problems that don't exist? Full ragret?

But also, can you really sit there and say that my arms are stronger than these?:

https://xcessivemanufacturing.com/toyota/cressida/mx83/chassis-and-suspension/toyota-mx83-t-mx83-flca.html

I have a hard time believing these things have a failure point designed into them. Not fishing for a cop out, but just trying to understand why this is such a fear.

I've bent LCAs just dirt dropping at PARC at least I assume thats what did it.  Don't remember any bumps/contact that day that would have resulted in a bent arm. 
The weak point in the XM arms is the stud thing that goes thought he outer hiem.  It shears/breaks sometimes without impact haha I also doubt it was designed to fail randomly hah.

All I'm saying is that I much prefer replacing bent LCAs than swapping a subframe with engine in car, let alone a subframe with a rack relocation. To each is his own though. 

10/10 @LUMBERZACK took me to eat best damn al pastor tacos ive ever consumed in my life then we did some sweet skids and i had a blast.

on the topic of boxed lca's who cares? i run the xcessive jimmies and those fuckers are tough as fuck.

also if you own a cressida and dont have a stack of spare parts in your backyard are you even a proper cressida owner?

i got like 2 spare front subframes, 1 rear subframe, 8 doors,1 hood etc..... YOLO

while learning, many ppl fuck up. however, if all you do is drive parking lot events, you shouldn't have anything to worry about...but are you "really drifting"?

its not something that worries or bothers me. honestly shouldnt be an issue with large venues, evergreen has like.....nothing to hit and other than the banks its a parking lot...imo...

PARC has those rumble strips and other things to hop over, which may ... will result in chassis damage and or wheel damage.

Its just something to consider.  Im not on either camp, but those who over engineer and over build something they have little seat time in (most "drifters") they tend to break a lot of stuff and dont catch it and keep having fucked up alignment or loose bits.  I've broken just about everything on the s13 while i was learning and progressing as an aggressive driver. With the supra and the cressida i was past all those points and my only issue is all these new drivers I teach and try to educate.  You do you man, what you did isn't bad or "dumb"

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, AcidTrip said:

also if you own a cressida and dont have a stack of spare parts in your spare room, bedroom, in boxes in front of your TV, are you even a proper cressida owner? 

There, fixed !