LUMBERZACK

Mediocre at Cresst - now with nsfw autophilia

yes highly recommend heat shielding stuff! when you take it drifting things are gonna get 2x hotter then what they are getting now and start tearing shit up that isnt heat wrapped

Yeah Gibbs, and it doesn't help that I don't have any ceramic coated exhaust parts or hood venting. Luckily the weather is much cooler now, but I'm hoping to heat shield all the vital components near the exhaust.

Thanks Casey! I'm stoked on the turn out. I'm really excited to take it sliding and I really hope I get some good coverage to post. The last few events I've gone to, I don't get any pictures or videos, so they just get lost in my memory. lol.

I'm saving the pictures of the sharp car, so I can taught you when you take the paint off, and crumple the sheet metal at a drift event.

Hey at least yours is alive, Theres probably people out there totaling their cressidas that weren't even alive yet the last time gordo's moved on it's own power.

Looking fly my friend, thanks for reminding me to fix my jank shitbox

HA that's what I'm here for, to remind some of these old folk that a young whipper snapper can get a Cressida running faster than them.

11 hours ago, LUMBERZACK said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Good thing Cressidas are still disposable and I can paint.

This!

Gordo's car will never be crumpled unless someone veers off the road up into his driveway and hits it ;)

Or maybe I can just drive.....

My son has nearly shits himself riding with me, when I push things a little too far, and get out of shape.
He refuses to navigate for me at the west Texas road race.

Besides, real mods are more time and $$ consuming than bolt-ons.
Wait, all X-chassis are $$ consuming......

Thanks fellas! 

Casey, at idle? So you're saying yours idle so quietly you can hardly hear it? lol. The sound difference from twins to single turbo is massive. I'm sure a lot has to do with the fact the twins setup is very restrictive off boost and single is 100% free flowing.

i use the top port on my mvr , loc tit'd as they do tend to wiggle loose, and my reference is on my tb iirc. this seems very..extra...and u have 2 of them. im many confused.

car looks good though. the lack of negative camber still weirds me out but thats another useless topic lol

The way I have it is the only way it will work and is what is required by Tial. Top port is for keeping the wastegate closed, typically controlled with a boost controller, lower port is to open the wastegate to bleed excess exhaust when the charge piping sees a pressure exceeding the wastegate spring pressure. It's not over-engineered, it's what is needed for a properly set up twinscroll system.

I'm going to be drifting on Nov. 17 and will be practicing with stock arms and knuckles. I plan on extending the LCA's and modifiying the knuckles later in the season which will give me front camber and more angle, but for now I want to continue drifting one mod at a time so I can understand and feel the difference.

With my longer lcas and tie rods the angle I have is already very similar to my s13 and it's knuckles I have for it. I doubt you would need more my dude.

Maybe twin scroll setup is different? I have mine on the top port and get no creep and a solid 13psi. I would suggest checking the ports every so often if they're not welded on as they tend to back out

I don't think I've checked the wastegate ports on my STi in the 6 years I've had it installed lol, but I'll keep it in mind.

Leading up to my scheduled drift day, I have a couple things I want to take care of. Most importantly is better securing my battery. Last event I was at, the guy at tech was tugging the fuck out of my battery box and broke one of the strap loops. He said, "Sorry about that...I'll let you drift today, but make sure that's fixed by next time.." Thanks dick.

So I bought a billet hold down tray for my Optima and called my good friend Marc the fabricator. He drew up a design and started making a holder. His goal was to make a holder that the battery tray could mount to, that was very solid, but was also removable.

Here's what I started with. Autozone battery box. Probably not the best thing every, but it works.

45826828141_32a97fe96d_c.jpg

45102222914_08599354d5_c.jpg

Billet tray for Optima batteries. Seems to be nice quality for $60 on Amazon.

44913616045_f3cb01f0eb_c.jpg

At this point, Marc and made a square bracket for the tray to attach to out of square tube.

44913588865_ef439cd08d_c.jpg

He then made a plate to run up and utilize the three threaded inserts for the spare tire bracket.

44913604135_77864005d9_c.jpg

This is how the holder is looking.

44913604145_41449999a5_c.jpg

For the attachment point on the opposite side, we decided to drill a hole and weld a threaded insert so the bracket can be bolted to the car. I scraped away some of the tar and grind away.

44913604285_3d09e0026f_c.jpg

Marc using his clever trick of using a unibit to drill a hole that will capture a nut and allow you to weld it in place.

44010117580_9e0ec23851_c.jpg

45777650762_b463522c25_c.jpg

Flush, now time to weld.

45777641932_a0b6aa9baf_c.jpg

Welding on the seam sucked with all of the gasses from the seam sealer, but Marc made it happen.

44010117690_422e023c54_c.jpg

44010117680_d48ecb4144_c.jpg

Marc decided to relocate the ground as he used a larger thread bolt than the wimpy bolt I was previously using.

44010117720_8dbc35973b_c.jpg

30887042237_7b5b77ac14_c.jpg

I'm super happy with the turn out. I'm going to put that spare tire brace back in, but this this is sturdy as hell. The suspension will move before the battery, so that's a win.

I also started installing some heat shielding on some hoses. I obviously haven't gotten to the extent that I want, but it;s a start and I will continue adding with time. I may get a turbo blanket. Not sure yet. I'm thinking of at least adding some gold reflective tape to the wastegates to help prolong the life of the diaphragm. Feel free to add suggestions.

44011201810_5044409934_c.jpg

44011201880_96b6ef3e19_c.jpg

What's up with that kill switch location? I've always been worried about those pockets in the event I crush the 1/4. It's a real nice spot but worries the heck out of me. 

yeah putting the battery there is def risky. i have it there in my street car but in the race car its behind my seat. good thing it is as i crushed that quarter last event

I've heard so much hype about turbo blankets... I didn't believe they made that big of a difference, but they absolutely do. 

I would get one of these and just cover the hoses with some dark snakeskin/fiberglass sleeving, if you can find some in a large enough size.

Probably would keep your bay looking a little cleaner as opposed to putting bright shiny tape on everything, but that's just my preference.

Oh yeah, and my car at idle is pretty loud even after putting together my exhaust.  I don't have a hks can on the back like you. I just have my cx/chinese racing tip.

I had so much fun sliding yesterday! I almost didn't think I was going to be able to drive because I order 2 pairs of tires. The first pair I ordered they shipped the wrong diameter, then the second pair never arrived. I was super bummed, but I said fuck it and just went and bought 4 nankangs from a local llantera tire wholesaler. It ended up not being a bad deal, but now I have more tires than wheels, which I guess isn't a bad problem.

Loaded up ready to go.

45035401585_5c3cb87832_c.jpg

Unloaded my shit and ready to party.

45035413465_f97b2a4a1d_c.jpg

Here's a link to me doing the day course. It's short, just three turns, they don't let you manji the first straight. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123773347@N08/31008691027/in/datetaken-public/

I didn't have any friends with me so I didn't get much videos or photos. Sucks, but I still had a lot of fun.
I zip-tied my cellphone to my passenger seat in hopes that I could get a video of me running the longer night course, but it really turned out looking like Michael J. Fox filmed it. Shit quality, but you can make out the course. It's like 6 corners and a manji straight. I was in third gear then downshifted to second after the manji.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123773347@N08/31008703247/in/datetaken-public/

While not having more videos and photos sucks, the good thing is the car ran strong and ran very well. There were no issues to report, I drove it to and from the track with no problems. I loved the way it handled and I can see many more drift days in the future, so hopefully I get some coverage one day.

Don't hate my driving, I'm still learning. lol

oh man, is this what consists of drift days in your area?

well, at least its something. theres soooooo much more track to create activities and learning areas.

also, fuck manji's.