Sign in to follow this  
JimmyHoffa

X7 digidash speedo encoder - how many teeth on wheel

I'm trying to get boost-by-gear working and I need to get a clean VSS (Vehicle speed signal) input to make it work. I do have a spare digidash gauge cluster I can smash open to reveal the answer I need, but I figured I'd ask around before wasting valuable 1980s shelf-parts.

HOW MANY TEETH ARE ON THE VR/HALL EFFECT WHEEL THAT THE DIGIDASH USES TO TURN THE SPEEDO CABLE SPINNING INTO MPH/KPH

Thanks homies.

I can't comment on the tooth count, but there is a speed wire that goes from the cluster to the the c1(pin 4 if my notes are still correct) body plug, I think it's pink.

I think my tuner said he had to apply smoothing as it was pretty rough, but then again *sometimes* my speedo jumps around +/ 10 MPH haha. And he didn't actually do anything with that, it's just there for datalogging if I want

I'm using the (I think pink) VSS signal wire that used to run from the digidash to the power steering control box, I just need to configure my ECU to make sense of the signal.

2 pulses.

VSS signal works and is accurate to a couple percent, now to figure out why the R154 gear ratios and my final drive ratio aren't triggering correct gear selection for boost-by-gear.

Here are my settings I think I have to adjsut it a little bit still, but like I mentioned nothing is really tying into speed haha. My tuner did boost by tps because I told him I would mostly be driftfagging my car

C2r2A36.jpg

*Edit oops didn't see that you had replied. Mine is in the wrong gear all the time haha not sure why

I had to adjust my settings to get everything working properly.

I set the VSS pickup to 2500 pulses/km instead of toothed wheel and adjusted tire diameter to actual in the TunerstudioMS Now the vss/rpm calculation works properly for gear selection. Now I just need to dial in my closed-loop boost control PID values and boost-by-gear will be mine.