Sign in to follow this  
nojuan_here

Money pit build

So I failed my intro so I decided to take my chances here anyways.

So a couple things have been done to the Cressida in the last couple weeks since I last posted.

Took it to the Mexican muffler shop in my hood to put in my Vibrant streetpower muffler in, along with deleting the cat because it was partially clogged and fuck emissions. Car only needs a safety inspection here in Texas because of its age. Also upgrades the exhaust piping to 2.5" diameter and added a couple V-bands for easy removal.

L1kv87e.jpg

Also bought some BC coilovers. Took off the non-abs knuckles from my spare shell, stripped it down. Had my buddy sandblast and cut them down and welded the coilovers on. (buddy was an airframe welder in the Marines).

st4dEsD.jpg

Also with the coilovers I went out and found a set of 17" Work Rezax wheels, they're a little rough but couldn't pass them up do to the price I got them for. Will have them refurbished later down the road. Specs are 17x8 (215/45R17) in the front and 17x9 (235/45R17) +38 all around with Sumitomo tires.

How she sits at the moment.

pjWsSVA.jpg

Also went out and got a Torsen from Gordo. Shipped out my spare diff case and 4.10 ring and pinion to him and had them put together. Pick it up on my way back from my trip to the Valley. Again thanks Gordo will do business again soon!!! Car is still slow but the perceived torque is nice,

V3jgEjC.jpg

iKtGAiv.jpg

Current things in the works are Z32 front calipers. Getting rebuilt with new seals and powdercoated. Had the "nissan" machined off.

AoBLXAv.jpg

Also ordered a stubby powered antenna from an S2000. Mine broke off in the car wash a while back. Figured why not upgrade and shave a few pounds. Cheap $80 mod.

Well... still have this turd.

Z32 brakes are on. Rezax are gonna get replaced with something else soon, doesn't clear the calipers without a spacer. Looking at some RPF1s 17x8.5 +30

m8t5Z5j.jpg

Yanked out the ABS while I was at it.

omdDXMO.jpg

Replaced the steering wheel with a Personal leather 330mm one.

rDm46tm.jpg

Also replaced the rear toe arms with some Xcessive ones.

Oh yeah I blew the HG on the 7m on my way back home from Rue's. My dumbass decided to reused the headbolts. No bueno. But replaced them with ARP ones and a Toyota HG for now. Supposed to pick up a non-vvti 1J later this week.

Used head bolts isn't the reason.....

Holy fuck, what did you torque them to ?

75 ft lbs of hopes and prayers keep 97% of 7Ms on the road these days. hallelujah.

you want another "clean" shell? i havent sold anything off the extra shit in my driveway and i already ripped out the interior for the racecar guy who wants to make the BHG run under it.

though not for lack of trying. by trying i mean creating threads then abandoning pms because i've been houseridden for a month.

I wouldnt mind another shell. But idk where to put the damn thing. I left my other shell at my old dealership I quit at. Thing is still there surprisingly. New dealership is sharing the lot with the dealer next door which is owned by the same company thats under construction. Parking is a bitch as it is and theyre telling peeps to get their junk cars off the lot for more room.

i have an angle grinder and a sawzall and i've cut up a couple x8s. kyle can come and we can make an afternoon of it.

You really should try working on the car sober.....

A 7M stock head bolt doesn't even start to stretch until you exceed 85 ft/lbs.

If they are visibly stretched, you probably went to 90 or above.

You will get the same results if you work on a 1J in the same fashion.

You're right Gordo. :(

I remember thinking I should've replaced the headbolts on my rebuild. Just about the only thing I didn't buy. I vaguely remember them looking funky, got careless and it cost me.

So the 1J I'm looking at getting is from a Soarer. I know it's a rear sump and that's not a problem, already looking at a front sump for next to nothing. Motor comes with a harness but noticed the ecu pin out has 4 rows. So hunting down a Soarer ecu is going to be fun. I should just get a 1J VVTI at that point. Or just go single turbo and get a standalone. Still has the stock twins.

Demesio, Let me think about it once I actually have the motor.

I did a thing yesterday. Retrofitted an amplified antenna from an S2000. Pretty easy, only one wire to wire into the Cressida (stock power antenna comes has a 6 pin connector with 3 12v power wires). Also had to modify the mounting nuts a bit nothing too hard. Cost about 70 bucks.

kWx5CVx.jpg

5Q066Mj.jpg

Hm, an amplified antenna....Will wonders never cease.

Does this mean that I can get rid of my 8-track ?

Did any Cressida even come with an 8-track? FM reception has greatly improved Im finally able to get HD radio stations on my alpine deck. I can finally listen to all the mainstream shit playing on the airwaves nowadays. I havent checked AM reception. Ill get back to you on that one.

Nope, but I had one in my '66 mustang.

Doesn't matter, my ears are so shot these days, I don't know why I even bother with an entertainment system.

i listen to npr and the classical station on the oem radio through half of the original speakers.

my power antenna doesnt work anymore but reception is good for the ~10 mile radius from home i try to stay within.

I couldn't even get NPR with my broken antenna. I can now. Finally. I actually like a lot of the shit on there. You really listen to the classical station? I'm upset at the fact the got rid of the "edge" and the old school hip hop stations recently.

I finally picked up that 1J non-vvti motor. Only missing a TPS sensor, igniter, and ecu.

fAW3Ge0.jpg

so, missing everything....pull those coilpacks asap and check em out for how many cracks they have. see how many wobbles those turbos have (my pair didnt have much if any and were boosting to 24+psi lol)

i love these old motors but fuck them for all the work they need to not be garbage

That's all that's left. It's like me shopping for a used phone. There's the leftover stocks and open box phones at first. Then the light scratch and prestine used. Then the bullshit starts popping up for way too much money, if it had shown up the same time as the open box stuff.

the JZ market sucks more than it always had. Sad though. I love JZs. Only in theory now though.

up here the motors were always the cheap part, the transmissions and bellhousings and ..fuck..everything else was always so expensive. more often than not it was needlessly.

im a bit worried about getting a vvti 1jz as i looked up the bellhousings yesterday to adapter to my w58 in the supra and theyre like 4-500easy...US...so a billion dollars CDN.

the amount of money these fucking parts are and the fact theyre either broken and a ton of money or new and never used a a million dollars is beyond me considering how few people actually get their cars running.

guess it hasnt helped that a lot of racing programs started to use the toyota 6's...2jzs have always been stupid money so i never even bothered thinking about them, just looked at 1jzs because they were mildly worse compared to the 2jz.

i guess all those ppl selling shit for bank are trying to get back some of their pride from not finishing their shit. fucking asshole quitters

I just found a bellhousing for 100 on Facebook market place. I fucking hate Facebook but you can find some killer deals on there. Well at least stateside. Idk about Canadia.

I still feel like I overpaid for the motor for 800. But thats just me being cheap lol When I get back to work on Monday Im going to start looking it over more. Its actually got a Ford IACV and a 2j water pump I think.

This is going to nickel and dime my ass. Needs belts and some other little things. This is gonna be fun.