Andrew

pitted so pitted.

So i'm in the middle of doing my vvti 1.5 jz. and i have a low mile 2jzge i got out of a sc300 and started cleaning the head gasket residue / carbon off the pistons and i notice the block deck has some pitting. Was running when i pulled it out and head gasket looked fine.

Question is do i just say fuck it and run it or get it decked, figured i would ask like a bitch since i'm probably overthinking it anyway.

Example:

33434764424_9b01ffba2d_b.jpgUntitled by profilebmx18, on Flickr

33434762654_0ba6c21187_b.jpgUntitled by profilebmx18, on Flickr

33892690620_86317376ac_b.jpgUntitled by profilebmx18, on Flickr

I can barely feel them, i just don't want to take apart a good low mile motor just to get it decked.

Maybe get it decked with the rotating assembly still installed? hah

Don't mind all the WD-40 and SOS pad leftovers.

That's.......

What's the word I'm looking for ?

Oh yea, now I remember..

FUCKED!

But it will give you a chance to get all the bits of steel wool out from around the top ring. so you don't waste any of that 'low mileage' cylinder bore.

Oh, and once you disturb those rings, there is little chance they will ever seal again, so pick up a set, and deglaze the bores, or they won't ever seal.

And on this 'low mileage' engine, it will be interesting to see what the lower end bearings look like.

Do all of this, or end up with a JZ that acts just like the 7M did...........

you had a better chance taking my ge bottom end, but it needs new rings...

that's pretty messed up, I'd go with grump's suggestion... I can get you some rings for that, but they come with pistons ;)

Fuck I thought mine was pitted.

I got mine decked, then at that point you might as well get rings and bearings.

It's hard to judge by a picture but I think it's too pitted. Might as well get it decked and not have to worry about it.

I was thinking maybe because it was a GE the thin as head gasket just sucked the life out of it.

The block has stamps on the side marked "Engine world" "void warranty if removed".

So i was hoping for a quick pop the head off slap on the VVTi 1jz GTE head gasket i have along with the head and go affair, but fuck me right.

the 2jzge head i pulled off was extremely clean so im hoping the bottom end is the same the guy only really did freeway daily driver type miles on it.

The cylinder bores still have a good amount of good looking cross hatching on them so i'm thinking ill just try and get this block decked with the rotating assembly still installed.

Whore mouth was your's a GE block or GTE?

Mine was GE.

Here are some old crappy pictures:

N9ryr19.jpg

42whUEz.jpg

I'm not sure if it possible/a good idea to deck with rotating assembly in. All those shavings will fall down into the cyls and into the ring grooves and such

Alright i feel a little better now it looks pretty close to the same condition as mine, get your's honed or just left it?

yeah probably so, i was just hoping not to get that in depth with it but i should probably stop trying to cut corners and do it right.

Looks like ill be looking into some bearings and rings soon.

My June 10th deadline looks far fetched now. ha!

Pull the pistons and bearings, mark them 1-6 and front and back if budget is a concern. Deck the block and head if it looks the same or questionable.

If you can see existing cross hatching in all of the cylindars don't worry about honing. If the cylinders look "polished" then do a ball hone with cutting oil.

Ran many of engines for years after doing just the essentials.

Budget isn't so much of a concern that i cant buy rod bearings i was just hoping not to take it apart.

The less i take apart the less shit i can mess up... essentially.

but i think the plan is to get rod bearings and rings and get it decked possibly a ball hone for shits and gigs since it now sounds like maybe a good idea.

Pics of the bottom end for fun.

33485295133_ab5da97311_b.jpgUntitled by profilebmx18, on Flickr

33911581640_a7fd58acf9_b.jpgUntitled by profilebmx18, on Flickr

I didn't feel comfortable so I had it decked + honed and got new rings and bearings. although I know come people would have said it was fine.