wesleyx62

x3 to x7 rack conversion vs xcessive ae86 crossmember and rack.

so im looking into doing the rack and pinion swap for my x3, so far im getting mixed opinions. some say to use everything from an x7 and others are saying itd be more beneficial to use the new ae86 xcessive set up with an ae rack. has anyone here gone forth with either of these two conversions? benefits? what will provide better results etc.

Here we go, more begging for hand holding...

Figure the fucking shit out, and then post your results.

I wasn't asking how to. I was asking whats been done. whats better? there isn't any hand holding going on here lol

Nah, I see hand holding via decision making inability, also looking for a confirmation. Where others see two options, attempt to see the advantages of one or the other, then go with what suits them. Maybe call xcessive and ask why they made that if you can bolt x7 stuff up? Maybe you need to get measurements off your car to see if x7 stuff bolts up? Like, fuck man. Do they not program folks with ambition where you're from?

i know what bolts up and what needs welded in etc. im asking if anyone can sway me in one direction or another. any benefits to the ae86 stuff vs x7 stuff.

What you can't look at the difference and assess on your own? I mean, someone had to shit or get off the pot on this subject.

I was thinking of getting some Synder's of Hanover pretzel bits later. Should I get honey mustard or jalapeño? Somebody sway me please.

it wouldnt be as bad if you wee asking about the technical aspects of doing this. we have a forum section for that, at least.

having the facts at your disposal and asking someone to form your opinion for you is another thing entirely. pretty sure fb has a poll option that would suit this scenario.

Rolls up sleeves....

Ok pleeb take some notes. Here is a first hand account,

The x8 stuff will take some serious fab work to fit, it works, but barely if not at all. The X7 rack also is not an ideal choice because of how it mounts.

Use the XM subframe and Try finding an AE power rack because over centering might be an issue in the x3. You will also need to figure how the steering shaft will need to be built not to mention your engine of choice could be a factor.

You give vague information and ask for options/opinions, but don't give us the full story.

If you want easy bolt in shit, you bought the wrong chassis.

If you want to buy off the shelf stuff that gives you SOME options, buy the xm subframe.

yea i know justin lucas is running the xm subframe with great results. im not worried about the fabbing of things. from what ive been told you need to roll the steering rack a bit and make a joint to combine the ae rack to the x3 shaft. combine some outer tie rods that ill have to see which ones fit and bam. as for motor ive got xm jz mounts currently. they'll probably work considering how much they can move forward and backwards (idk if the width is different but worse comes to worse ill purchase ae mounts.

Why do you need power steering setup that is better then what you have? you doing drifting or circuit racing? didnt think you needed to steer much when hard parking

Why do you need power steering setup that is better then what you have? you doing drifting or circuit racing? didnt think you needed to steer much when hard parking

ill let my car do the talking once its done. i dont have a word to speak on.

So it hasn't sold yet, I take it.........

What's the competition bringing. and old bag lady pushing a shopping cart ?

so i got an ae86 rack (power not manual) and xcessive just released and adapter. i made some brackets to hold it at the correct angle and all i have left is to find tie rods to get the correct length. this was stupid easy.

Pictures, or are you going to remain the anonymous silhouette ?

When's the car gonna do some talking, faggot?

When he sells it, and a new owner finishes the project.

so long story short and im not sure why i never updated but i went with an XM rack with a power 86 rack. xm also sells weld on steering column adapter which made it pretty cake. t3 also made knuckles for the 87mm strut spacing the x3 has. currently i have x6 lca's on and t3's x6 tension rod's. still trying to figure out what inner tie rod and outer tie rod combo to use with the knuckles. im glad i went with the xm frame because the rack is now closer to the front of the car by a good inch and a half. should get rid of any binding that would happen.