BoristheCat

Sleeper MX83 build

Yeah, sure.....

More like you got drunk, and couldn't remember where you left it....

(been there, did that, and got the hang over....)

Maybe you got super drunk one night and got a little lost on the way home?

*edit Gordo posted ^^ while I was typing haha

I thought about that, but I don't get hammered that often and I don't drink and drive.

Everybody at work has been giving me shit about that, but I know that since it's so easy to use an old key to get in, I think someone just unlocked it, started it and drove off.

I was about to be more pissed about trying to source those sway bar brackets than actually losing my truck.

Glad it's safe and sound with a club on the wheel now.

Glad it's safe and sound with a club on the wheel now.

Ha, are you ever deluded....

I'll wire in a killswitch tomorrow. That club is a visual deterrent more than anything. I know they could just cut through the wheel real quick and yank it off.

Alright, I've done a few more things.

Yanked off the intake. I was surprised by how much gunk was in there despite the motor allegedly having only 45-60k on it.

JRAy7X1l.jpg

YVR3xZel.jpg

Of course I forgot to take pics after I cleaned it up, but oh well.

Blocked off the throttle coolant lines. Removed all the stock piping. Drilled and tapped the head, coolant pipe at the back of the motor, and the throttle body (Drilling and tapping the TB isn't necessary, but I did it anyway)

CYWRVg7l.jpg

Removed the PCV pipe that was pressed into the intake manifold. I will be installing a catch can eventually. I tapped this hole for my boost gauge sensor. This will prevent excessive vacuum lines.

qJ4bD8cl.jpg

Half-assedly fit my exhaust. Sits way too low, so I'll be messing with bracketry eventually to make it sit higher.

QV8McU3l.jpg

Got the fuel rail back in after replacing all the o-rings.

BzD1o9Hl.jpg

I also removed the stock vacuum return line from the top of the valve covers. It was a little bit of an eyesore and I wanted to make it less visible. I repurposed the metal throttle coolant line and turned it into a more hidden vacuum line. It's barely any difference to most, but it was bugging the hell out of me.

Before:

pNDWFs1l.jpg

After:

FBiknuTl.jpg

I don't know why this makes me so happy, but it does. OEM VVT-i badge from a Lexus or something

URfInH0l.jpg

1KP54lal.jpg

those "vacuum lines" on the valve cover are for the factory pcv system...what're you doing removing them?

What?? Not sure what you're talking about.

There is a single intake hose that I removed that went from the PCV valve to the intake.

The two breathers that connect the valve covers together are still there.

I removed the PCV valve and will be installing a catch can. One line will run from each valve cover to the can, and then another line will run to the turbo piping.

I'm referring to the metal hard line at the back of the head. That one kind of crept onto the right valve cover and I wanted to tuck it a little bit more.

back into the turbo piping meaning the pre-turbo inlet pipe, right?

you don't want the catch can seeing boost.

Yes, the pre turbo inlet pipe. I'm too lazy to spell out everything for everybody who can't figure out what I mean when I'm describing shit.

Dont' feel like making my MS paint circles on every photo I post

I think slammie does better with finger painting......

I promise I know what I'm doing lol. The hole in the firewall will be where all the wires enter the bay for the engine. There was a little pre-fabbed cutout in the firewall padding already present, so I just popped it out and die-grinded a hole. Still in mock-up mode here. The wire will obviously be better protected for the final product.

All the wiring follows the stock routing from the right passenger side kick panel along the passenger door sills and into the trunk.

MxVXrpRl.jpg

Battery box officially in the trunk.

OKv15p9l.jpg

Bought chrome door handles, but I've decided against using them. They're in fantastic shape, but they're just a little too gaudy for my taste.

2tmR63Bl.jpg

I did get a rear trunk latch though. Repinning the tumbler was a nailbiter, but not difficult. God help you if you mix them up or lose a spring. INB4 I get accused of making my car exactly like Zach's.

bM9WvDel.jpg

What's in the box??

Qe8At4dl.jpg

Bam, JZX81 chaser front cut. Bumper fit with minimal modding/chopping/grinding.

enRNT7Nl.jpg

I didn't get intact JZX fenders, so I won't be able to swap the JZX corner lights on there. The grill was kind of trashed too. It's minimal, but I really don't care for the funky looking gap under the headlights. I have the small trim pieces, so I might see if I can make things work. Pic below is with GX81 headlights, not the JZX81 headlights.

7xT8H1kl.jpg

Got an expensive crimper for crimping the fatty 10 gauge and larger wires. This will let me finish my trunk wiring.

3ayyUUtl.jpg

Swapped a digital speedometer unit from an NA MKIV supra onto the back of my stock speedometer faceplate. Bolts right in with the small black screws. I should be able to mount a hall effect sensor on the vehicle somewhere to pick up a magnetic signal. I can hopefully then fudge the signal from a dakota digital speed box and then have the wires go directly to lugs at the speedometer and have them screw into the back of the digital speedometer.

M4DBiCMl.jpg

And with faceplate. I need a needle with a slightly longer tab on it so it will fit onto the speedo pin. It's just a little bit too short currently.

40h90hWl.jpg

Also bought this Tom's steering wheel. Probably won't be here for a few weeks though.

VIKsrB0l.jpg

Where did you have the coffin, with the front bumper in it shipped from ?

Bought it off fleabay. Guy in Missouri imports nose cuts. Nah, this wheel was like half that. It's getting to the point where I'm reaching jdm swag overload. I don't feel like dumping much more money into cosmetics, I just want to get the damn thing running. I'm growing impatient, but there's only so much I can do in subzero temperatures and little daylight.

Successful driveway build or bust

already there and then some. every time i see pointless shit on yja kyles immortal words ring in my ears and i close that tab.

but that burgundy wheel is the ultimate in unobtanium. prior to that listing and the several that came before it, all i had to confirm its existence was a pic of one in some shit car posted on a blog about exporter stock to the philippines.

would you pay almost $1,000 for a steering wheel all said and done?

If my car was 100 percent running and done.... I honestly might.

Spending money on car parts is factored into my budget now. It's been a year and a half of draining my wallet, so I don't even remember what it's like to have money laying around that isn't spent on my vehicle.

Pics of said wheel? I was unaware of its existence until you mentioned it

Mother god so much cool Tom's swag on the auction sites fml why was i born poor!!!!

Here's the link to the wheel

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d245764627

LOL@ $1200cad I could buy another Mx83 for that price lol.

Would post pic but Im a "photobucket death 2017"victim

Mmmmm... that's so hot. Tell him that you'll give him 300 bucks since the tom's emblem has fallen off and the steering wheel is essentially worthless now. Typing tom's steering wheel into ebay generally gets you these wheels for like roughly 2/3 the price of yaj, but with much fewer results of course.

There's some pretty decent ones up there now, but yeah, none of the matching ones. I wish you hadn't shown me that wheel actually, I want it now

Forget you saw that shit.

Buy some maroon vinyl paint or dye.

With the money saved invest in engine performance parts and suspension/drivetrain upgrade parts.

Too late, the damage is done. It's in my head now :(

I'll think of the irresponsible wheel and tire purchase that I need to make soon instead.

+2 for crazy end of the rainbow pot,of gold,stupid insane huge money wheel and tire combo.