BoristheCat

Sleeper MX83 build

I guess the technical name is "refrigerated compressed air dryer", but refrigerated dryers use a refrigeration compressor and heat exchange to cool the compressed air to 35°F, a temperature where the moisture condenses and is drained off. It's nice that they cool the compressed air too so that you're not "drying" the paint as you spray it.

Not that this applies to you in any way, just figured you could nerd out about it like me. lol

Very interesting, it makes me wonder if the higher temp paint that you used would dry from the atmosphere before it even hit the surface you were painting if you didn't have it. 

Yeah, tools are cool man, I agree

If you have paint drying before contacting the surface, you are using the wrong thinner.....

I have never seen a dryer actually bring air down that cold, and it seldom stays as cool as the dryer brings it down to for very long.

WARNING   WARNING   WARNING

Trying to fit a CDxxx transmission is utter bullshit and should not be attempted by anyone.

That being said, I made it work.  The stock tunnel has multiple layers of thin 18 or 20 gauge steel with a ton of rubber coating in between it.

Example:

HydcLfol.jpg

I had to remove multiple layers until I was down to the base layer so I could weld everything.

I got down to the base metal and cleaned everything properly. Welded up the tunnel, and was able to get the center console to fit properly. All the carpeting tucks under as it should.

C6rA2fZl.jpg

BXnvu65l.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to cut back some of the seat/b-pillar-on-the-floor/whateveryoucallit to clear the transmission. I boxed the hollow part, put some square stock back in to reinforce it, and added layers of metal back in to provide more structure.

AIdC61Ol.jpg

I just need to etch prime the exposed metal and then button up the interior.

The shifter was still slightly too far back from being centered.  I was just about to contact a local machinist when I was browsing the SerialNine website.

They just came out with a slightly longer shifter extension for their CD999 short shift kit.

H4tje3Kl.jpg

Cool beans.

I also ordered a JZX81 Mark II fiberglass hood and front fenders from DApexWorks. This will enable me to use the Kouki Mark II headlights which are my favorite out of all the headlight conversion options for the X8 chassis. I can also use my Woodbell grill.

I bought the JZX81 Mark II kouki headlights and corner lights, which should be here within the next couple weeks.

Buying fiberglass parts from Russia is a gamble, but I'm used to hacking up stuff if it doesn't fit. So far, the guy has a good reputation.  I'll leave a review on his thread in the for sale section once I receive the goods.

Why leave a review for him, he never bothers to come around here.

Leave a review on facefuck.

Leaving a review here isn't for his benefit, it's for the benefit of other JZXP users.  If he's good, now we have a source for more parts.

If he sucks, we'll know to stay away from him.

hoping the parts from russia work out, would be a nice option as there isnt much locally.

Yeah, I hope so. He has been making fenders for pretty much all x8 chassis, so in theory you could swap to any front end headlight/cornerlight/grill combo you want, as long as you have the corresponding hood.

I'm really hoping this guy's stuff is good. All the lights from Japan are ready to ship to me, but jesus I got destroyed by shipping this time around. It was over 300 bucks. 

Last time I bought this much stuff, shipping was 180 I think? And it was a big ass box with a little bit more stuff than what I have in this box. 

I did notice that the exchange rate is different than a year or two ago. The yen is stronger or our dollar is weaker, not sure which. 

Don't wanna let you down too hard but, you will most likely have to do some finish work on it.  @vampirebeats got the kit and sides he can give you the deets hah

Why am I not surprised lol.

If it all bolts together properly and just needs some panel gap adjustment, I can deal with that.

It's pretty much expected when you're getting parts that aren't manufactured with a perfect OEM mold.

americans cant talk any sort of shit about conversion until you see the cdn dollar to anything. eff you man. that 300 would be nearly 700 for us at least.

I am aware, and I feel bad for my brothers up north :(

But hey, at least you have the 15 year rule. We're waiting forever to import stuff when we see an entire choo choo train of canadians drive down to the US in imported jdm rides. It hurts man. 

You win some, you lose some

USA has like all of the old old datsuns and toyotas just sitting in yards and barns though, and most of your markets down there for various chassis havent hit idiot level like they have here.  a lot of the jdm cars coming in now, are in the 20k range because all these fucking losers up here are trying to sit on these cars until they're legal in the states and try and sell for 20k US. both the canadians and americans have created this artificial bubble of a car market. stupid type r s15s are in the 20-25k range, and the type s's are in the 10-15k. blows me away. even the garbage jdm cars are all around 6-10k. or maybe im the loser and think these cars are worthless, cause to me a s15 type r is woth 10k tops...hopefully stock, but whatever.  all the jzx's are stupid priced and some of these half ass modded cars that need a new motor or turbo are in the 20k range too and its laughable. people have started to "waffle" these over priced hunks of shit so they get their money and someone gets a "chance" to own it.

Yes and no.  You're going to find very few old Toyotas and Datsuns in any local yards. They're mostly being held onto by private owners.

Parts availability is pretty bad here too. I feel like most people aren't heading to Canada to buy parts though.

A lot of kids with their parent's money are getting cars from Canada, no doubt about that.

Totally agree about the artificial bubble though. Seems to be true everywhere.

just ordered a kit today from dapex hopefully it fits half decent we will see. the transmission tunnel came out pretty good for what it is

Finished the tunnel, on the inside of the car at least.

Put some dynamat and some thick sound-deadening vinyl on the tunnel and called it good.

2nmuDUvl.jpg

A3EJWiVl.jpg

Did a quick mock-up of all the front end stuff. I'm really thrilled that the Woodbell grill I bought last year fits.

Not everything is lined up perfectly in the pic since the corners of the headlights aren't supported by the fenders that I don't have yet.

YOitSJWl.jpg

YdqosXkl.jpg

u35YD4sl.jpg

i like that grill

It's real pretty. Got it brand "new" and unused in the box. They don't come up very often, and when they do, they're like $600+ dollars. I lucked out and got mine for like $500 shipped, which is still ridiculous, but whatever.

Will it survive your first drift event ?

You are a rare bird in these parts.