Sign in to follow this  
Cyrious

Tundra Slut-0-Matic (mx32,7mge,a340e)

Already been a member on this site since almost the beginning, so go fuck yourself, I don't need your approval. I'm being paid to build an mx32 for a friend. She was driving it around for a while with no issues until things leaned out and blew the rings out of #2. Determined later on it was caused by rust from old tank that plugged up fuel filter and carb. Whatever, the 4m was a gutless piece of shit anyways. She wanted to sell the car and I didn't want to see it go to a hack, so I told her I would build it up to modern standards on as much of a budget as I can. I picked up a 7mge and a340 from a friend for like $150, all I had to do was assemble everything. Tried to talk her into a 2jzge, but she didn't have the money at the time. She wanted to keep it auto and I advised her to keep it NA for simplicity and cost effectiveness. 7mge wasn't such a bad choice because there's two in every wrecking yard. Rip on them all you want, I don't give a shit, there is nothing wrong with them as a cruiser/dd power-train once you do the mls hg, bearings, gaskets,seals etc. Hating on 7m's is such a hipster thing to do anyways, like get over it, its just as flawed as every other engine of its time.

Anyways, heres the whip when she picked it up.
IMG_0300_zps2ae25f1e.jpg

IMG_0302_zps843931d1.jpg

Well there's your problem. Pretty sure I had the head off in 5 minutes flat. Impact to head bolts and grinder to timing chain and a nice upward motion with the prybar and she was off.
2016-09-16%2019.08.36_zpswkqxp6sm.jpg

So basically what we're looking at here is your hack job back yard mechanic special rust repair job. Galvie with some pop rivets on the fire wall.
2016-08-24%2017.57.58_zpsvgcjdh4i.jpg

Once I got the patch off and the cowl cover off, the rust problem was much worse than I expected. Rusted right through into the cab. All because some idiot left the drivers side access cover off (above rust hole).
2016-09-03%2014.58.05_zpsyaj1gyhv.jpg

There was a hippy erb garden under the cowl, and a full blown mouse nest above the blower in under cowling compartment.
2016-08-29%2019.22.36_zpsxssdvfph.jpg

My girl showing me how to strip down the engine bay.
2016-08-24%2018.24.19_zpsiiwryjc7.jpg

Every night is a block party. The neighbor has a garage right next to me and is building a foxbody drag car and two houses the other way is a guy with a nice zz30.
2016-08-15%2019.00.12_zpszrmqtc2l.jpg

New timing belt, and seals etc.
2016-08-16%2018.32.58_zpscsvpevmc.jpg

2016-08-18%2019.04.20_zpsrrv1xddl.jpg

Did this for about two weeks straight after work, had to get a little bit drunk every night, because thats the only way I can tolerate doing bodywork.

2016-09-08%2021.56.15_zpsb7fonwdx.jpg

Mighty white of ya.

2016-09-15%2023.05.50_zpsmuvgvkov.jpg
2016-09-15%2023.05.27_zpslzf2b2ba.jpg
New brake master and cleaned up and painted the booster.
2016-09-20%2020.17.42_zpsewnokkpi.jpg

Drilled out the firewall and mounted up the old wiper motor, good thing i wrote down the hole dimensions before hand. I know the vin plate is a little wavy, but I heard that shit flys over here at jzxp. Also gotta touch up the tower, lost my footing and put my hands all over it.

2016-09-20%2021.08.07_zpsy0g4mqrb.jpg

Its not a jzxp build without a 4-doe-backseat ho.
9d75b735889fbcf9daa11c09de5ca4a0.jpg

Did you put a head gasket on the 7M ?

If so, what type ?

If so, what did you torque the head to ?

How about valve seals ?

Cometic MLS from DM, ARP head bolts torqued to 90 ft lbs in 5 stages :), valve stem seals were felpro i think, clevite bearings in crankcase. Didn't do pistons or rings because as I said.. customer is on a budget. Previous owner said engine had good compression.

Hope you had the block & head surfaced.

If not, you would be better off with a composite gasket, due to both the head, and block developing depressions in their surface from the stock gasket wiggling around for 20 years due to the factory fuck-up of only torquing them to 54 ft/lbs.

If she doesn't beat on it, it may be OK, and not push combustion gas into the water passages.

If the hg's i install on a daily basis leaked, I wouldnt have been able to put food on the table for the last 6 years ^_^. As for wheels, she bought some xxr536's which i think suit the car nicely.

xxr_536_wheels_hyper_silver_with_machine

13244872_10156938271215481_3832659693424

Also installed a white jay dee em steering wheel, forgot to mention that. I'm probably going to cut half a coil out of the springs to drop it a few inches, until she goes ahead with the suspension.

Not sure what to do about side view mirrors yet. Really think some kind of an old school hot rod mirror would look good. I cant get behind those big old jdm fender mirrors, I think they look silly.
_12_zpsyt8hux5y.jpg

128-2817_IMG_zpsyp35f6rp.jpg

If the hg's i install on a daily basis leaked, I wouldnt have been able to put food on the table for the last 6 years .

Heard it all before.....

I'll pray for her head gasket seal.

So the current gf is working on the ex gf's car?

This is correct. Sometimes both of them help me work on it. Its all good, we all get along. People move on.

lol@ " been a member on this site since almost the beginning"

Jzxp was created in 2002.You became a member in 2010. :P

Still love ya man!!! Keep the updates coming.Engine bay is looking fucking killer.

Looks like you're having some fun with this, don't get carrying the attitude from the other thread.

I've also done a load of hg jobs but these are very different. Be open to going back in there if you didn't machine both surfaces. Especially the block surface. I cheaped out with just a head resurface, metal gasket and arp's at 90, lasted 3 months to be honest. Just make sure she watches the temp gauge.

cool car, good job on the rust repair.

I hate seeing hackjob repairs like that. I had a car that I bought that was full of them ~10yrs ago, lucky you could save it.

Pretty sure I had the head off in 5 minutes flat.

You stopped being butthurt long enough to get it done that fast? Impressive.

lol@ " been a member on this site since almost the beginning"

Jzxp was created in 2002.You became a member in 2010. :P

Still love ya man!!! Keep the updates coming.Engine bay is looking fucking killer.

Pretty sure there was a site crash in '10, probably a second profile.

I wasn't a member since the origins of the forum, which is why I said, 'almost.' I had an account before this one (sleeper sideways). But lets be real, shit didn't start happening until like '05 when everyone was trying to swap 7mgte's. I lurked until like '07/08ish when I bought my mx83.

I surfaced the head by sliding it over a sheet of sand paper. For the block I took a long sanding block and went over it in an even motion with fine grit. I know machining is the only way, but i'm a gambler I guess. I did the same thing with my 1jz block, and I've been flogging on it for years with no issues.

But yes Demesio, jzxp always helps me to pull the plug out of my ass and get some shit done.

A 7m is 100 times more sensitive to surface prep than a JZ. Not even close.

That's one of the reasons they are so difficult to work on.

Too many cheesy chevy mechanics did what they thought was a good job, and failed.

I'll say another prayer for your 7m gasket....

You might be ok. If you were close enough to it to have spent time sanding on it, you would have noticed if it was pitted at all. Those pits can get super bad, so if ya didn't really notice them, you might be lucky.

I appreciate the concern, and am fully aware of the risk. My main issue is getting the car set up on a working 7m platform. Worst case scenario ill be pulling the engine out and resurfacing the block and buying a new hg, if it comes down to it. It's not a race car, I cant see her driving it anywhere near as hard as I would.

With how cheap one can obtain a jz series engine these days.I really think you should have went that route

Friends don't let friends 7m

LoL !!

That should be on a T-shirt.

BOGvrWz.png

PS sorry for the bad 7m drawing, luckily I haven't seen one in ages...

^^That's killer^^ Please make T shirts and stickers! :thumbsup: