shlammed

Powered by Hate, the saga of a street car rebuild.

I want at least ten. Well maybe not.

Is there such a thing as a t3 collector that isn't a million dollars and billet out your way?

billet will be $. theres a good chunk of time making those.

the same flange in CNC milling process would be ~$300 locally... I sent the file off for milling quote because I want a nice end product for myself and could bear a little more expense on a premium flange. Oddly (or not) to get the flange ~2mm larger in all aspects and then finished in the CNC mill would be substantially cheaper. finishing I was quoted ~$60 to clean up the flange perimeter and add 1mm chamfer plus countersink the port for the 1.66" OD pipe (1.25" shed 10). That obviously wouldn't work for a collector.

Can I ask why you want a billet collector? None of the manifold issues I have seen have come from the collector itself. Just manifolds where the turbo flange was welded on without a solid enough weld (no chamfer on the collector so the weld was only at surface depth in that case)

That said, I did have a customer who was going through other peoples tubular manifolds every track day. Literally turbo falling off. full 3h wheel to wheel, open passing type environment. nothing would help him out with his setup. he was ripping 1.25" shed10 pipe/elbows in half, not even at or originating at the weldment. I can understand wanting billet if your doing that and want to spec a thicker, more consistent wall thickness.

lol fuck.

just re-read this thread start to finish. came into jzxp guns blazing, trying to skip the intro haze period, and excited to have a project car again after a few years "away".

I did seem like a bit of a twat for a bit. Carry on jzxp.

Settle down there cowpoke. The only t3 collectors I've found 'for sale' have been billet. I don't want that. I just want something 'normal' that's fiscally reasonable and not junk. And a head flange. I've been quoted 70 per with a minimum order of 4, and I have to drill the head bolts out. Just looking for the bits so I can hang the efr.

Ah, misunderstood billet reference. I thought you were talking about the $350 billet collector/turbo flange that the guys with more money than brains run. aka the EVO/STI crowd.

If you want, I can cut you the tubes for a collector and provide the head/turbo flange. Welding extra if you want the collector welded too. send me an email to hellafabrication@gmail.com like Demesio did.

Im not sure if I mentioned it, but I have made the collector for the manifold already. it was kind of fucked up to make. its a 4-1 design with two of the tubes at 1.5" pipe (~1.9"od) and two of the tubes at 1.25" pipe (1.66od). Still going for the beefed up stock style with 1/2 and 5/6 being Siamese before the collector. I need to try one of those tailpipe expanders to see if I can get the outlet perfectly round, but its at the point now where adding and subtracting a little metal at the turbo flange and it will be great.

Without going into detail of the full hot side and exhaust plans because they are likely to change when I actually build it, I have a good idea of the pipe layout in my head and it should look pretty cool.

my brother has access to a water jet that is under utilized at his work. he's practically begging me to give him an excuse to run it. if you can provide specs or better yet, a file he can use, i'll see what he can do. at least for comparison's sake.

Check out post #30 in this thread.

I had several places quote me, and this is by far the cheapest. Im surprised that the flange can even be bought in raw material for what im being charged. FWIW, metal supermarkets charges more for the raw stainless bar than the water shop charged me.

Tacked up the collector to a rod to tune placement and check oil lines with fitting I have in my bin.

QHMx71M.jpg

b4PXCxd.jpg

Pretty close. Will be able to order the proper angles and use final chra clocking to perfect it. The chra is a bit too Rotated right now for oil drain but a little rotation is good for coolant flow.

Will need the water neck adapter to get the hot pipe around down there.

Chris, I'll send you a file this weekend if you ask your brother what file extension he wants.

Lmk if your interested in a flange... that goes for others too.

I have another guy thats in for one and Hucker is verbally in for a couple, so i will be sending the file to the cutters again.

Cleaned up and more tacks. Anyone see why I want it bottom mounted yet?

LlPDRXt.jpg

I should really clock the turbo properly soon.

Since I'm sending a few bits to water I'm going to have a peice of stainless sheet cut into a length with some tabs to bend over with the intent to protect the valve cover gasket from seeing high temps and getting hard/seeping. Realistically it's going to be a show part but it may work. The manifold side will have cheap gold foil reflecting tape on it to be more effective.

So, is that like a 4-cyl JZ ?

Waiting for the Hela-Answer on how you are going to do 6 pipes into a 4 pipe collector without having serious mismatch on flow characteristics.

Or is this one of those Hela-Who-Cares about actual Hela-Performance manifolds ?

If that's the case, why even bother with anything besides a Hela-Red-Neck log manifold ?

Wait, I just got the answer.......

It's for the Hela-Fan-Boys on facebook who wouldn't know the difference if it fell on their Hela-Small dick.

What I see here, is another JZ with a baby turbo, that I can out run with a 7MGE..........

HELA-FAB !!

Ya I'm scratching my head here.

Thought this was all about excel performance and fab =(

the only reason can be that he doesn't have the proper collector yet and is just working the space he has until he gets the right parts in his hand. If not, the motherfucker is dumber than I could ever imagine. Counting on he latter from what he's brought to the table so far

Oh god the pictures just loaded. Holy fucking shit. What a Fucking moron.

You guys are great. I wonder how these engines ever made power with stock manifolds.

This is no different than a high flow OE design that allows me to put the turbo wherever I want it.

And using 'pipe' fittings, your Hella-Red-Neck manifold will weigh as much as an OEM, designed to fit, and be as cheap as possible, cast iron POS.

@demesio bro says dxf or dwg for ease of use. also he's not a car guy, should i just tell him the application and trust his engineering knowledge to pick the appropriate material?

Gordo, yeah the manifold will weigh quite a bit.

I think most aftermarket manifolds (besides ebay/dritmotion) are thick walled pipe manifolds. I know of a few thin walled 321 manifolds, but those are definitely not considered standard by any means.

I have finished the Miata manifold/downpipe stub I was working on, so the Cressida has a little more budget and a lot more time I can spend finishing things up.

For those that are interested, here is a few photos of the Miata stuff.

TdQ1wgI.jpg

5RMytaq.jpg

All the HKS, GReddy, Blitz, and Sard manifolds I've imported have been thin wall.

So I guess when you live in some snow bound corner of the world, where there are few, if any real car tuner types, you may just grow up thinking fucking pipe manifolds are the norm........

Oh, and if you haven't got it through your head yet, we don't care about Miata manifolds here.

in case you haven't noticed, I don't care what you think.

Look at the common aftermarket manifolds this side of the pond and they are all thick wall.

Futurefab, Freed , suprastore, all that shit. your fooling yourself if you think those JDM manifolds are common.

I've handled hundreds of them.......

Guess you just don't get out much.

"Futurefab, Freed , suprastore, all that shit."

The last part of that statement is the truest, most accurate thing you have ever said here.

And I know they taught you in the 'no child left behind' school system you grew up in, that every one wins a trophy, and every one is as good as the next.

But in the real world, you are still a failure....

participation awards were before my time.

substantiate the failure, and we will go from there.

Weight of a ~25lb manifold on a 3000lb plus street car means very little.