Sign in to follow this  
shlammed

Clutch fan shroud. 1jz

Car is getting a bit hot, it doesn't have a fan shroud or pre-heat exchanger ducting right now but I've got sheet aluminum to do the ducting this week.

In an x8 with 1j and clutch fan/7m blades is there a stock fan shroud that works?

I would prefer not to have to fab one up out of sheet or go electric - engine fans work great with a shroud.

I'd dump the stock radiator.....

I had went to a Koyo meant for an IS300. Whoremouth has it now.

Somewhere up here is a thread on how I mounted it.

I am going to my custom Fluidine 2" core crossflow now.

But you can chink out with some pos from chinaBay if you like.

I don't think the car would have any issues with a fan shroud and ducting.

ducting I can do.

fan shroud I can do too, but if the stock one fits I can go to the wrecker and pick it up for free and save a few hours.

I will be doing a rad at some point, but I want to drive the car now. im sure being a 26 year old machine im going to have to change a few parts as I drive it.

Ran this with a stock radiator, just wasn't up to 12:1 compression, and 8500 rpm.

The reason I went to the IS radiator.

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

Ran the Koyo, with the same fan set-up with Zero issues.

DSC00051.jpg

dear b-hole OP:

my setup consists of a 1uz fan clutch - unmodified, a 7M fan, a stock radiator and thermostat and no fan shroud. i live in TX. ambient temps in the summer are around 110°F (+/- 10°) and i have never seen my gauge creep past operating range after long hauls or stop-and-go traffic.

this is on a jzx81 JZ-GTE with stock twins, fwiw.

whats stock operating range?

the car is happy at 86celcius most days, goes up to 93celcius on hot days and when I brought it home it was 32celcius ambient and it got up to 98celcius on the highway.

conversion:

86C=186F

93C=200F

98C=210F

200 isn't bad, but that's just daily driving. If I was doing any kind of event it could get bad. 210 is pretty hot, and that was cruising at 120km/h (75mph). no real boosting, just cruising steady state.

If I had a stock temp guage, it would probably be stuck in the middle the whole time... but the digital dash shows me real temps.

another data point, I recently put a 0.9 bar stock rad cap back on. the 1.5bar rad cap pictured above was causing minor seeping from the rad hoses. Temps haven't changed since I changed that though.

This is why Im registering/driving the car for a while before I get too invested in mods.

shlammed, I have the exact same fans that Gordo has pictured if you are interested in running that set up.

I ran into the issue where the stock fan shroud and jz clutch fan wouldn't work. So I went and bought a fan shroud for a Cheville (or some merica car) that was about the right size. The shroud had two slim 1200 cfm fan which I mounted to a fan controller.

Normal days I run at 89-92 C which is about right. But the other day with the AC on it crept up to 98-100 C, which from what I gather is still not too hot. The problem is that my engine is so close to the fans I don't have space to evacuate the air. So I am now working to shroud the air and force more of it through the radiator.

I was also told to shim the hood so that it has space around the cowl to evacuate the hot air. Or if you want to go wild, cut the hood and add a drop vent.

Forum Bull Shit on the raising the rear of the hood.

At any speed over 45mph, that is a high pressure area due the the windshield.

If anything, that will hurt cooling.

Why do you think so many cars in the '70s had 'cowl induction'. It is a good place to pick up high pressure air to feed a a carb.

Find the under tray, maybe even save some pennies, and buy a drop vent. Drive over to my place, and buy the FRP drop vent I brought in from Japan.

The area on the hood just back from the radiator is a low pressure area.

^ it also looks fucking gay, identifies the car's owner as a know-nothing shitstain wannabe, died where it deserved to in 2010.

cant wait for hood propping to make a "nostalgic" comeback.

Slapstick, I have the Missile vent that I brought out of Japan, before finding a way to actually get a complete hood from there.

No spare hood until I take my stock one off, and mount the 'glass one, but Kyle may have one.

DSC07420.jpg

DSC07423.jpg

Pretty sure it's spoken for.....

But doesn't the guy who took over mitch's fiberglass wet dream make one simular, for about $160 ?

Tried to buy one from him, but he never replied, until I just ordered this out of Japan.

I don't really care that much. Might make my own out of metal. Or just take the hood off because that's what the cool kids are doing. And people wonder why the pigs are salvage title ing cars left right and centre.

Sign in to follow this