Cyrious

Need x7 suspension advice

I recently bought a minty mx73 and am putting it though a safety inspection. All it needs is to pass is the alignment. The springs in it are all saggy and I've already replaced the rears with a better set of used which lifted it about 2". There is no camber adjustment so basically I have to get back to stock ride height. I was going to try and steal the s9 camber plates off my mx83 and hope that they will be compatible with stock mx73 struts to adjust the front camber to 0 and was looking into a coil spring adjuster. He already told me I cant use rubber spring spacers that sit between the coils. Money is tight right now so Ide really prefer to not fork over the 1500 for coilover setup. I was told that the bc rear springs will adjust up to factory height, can anyone confirm this? Any advice would be great.

Super unhelpful question:

Can you find another mechanic that doesn't care about alignment?...

Valid question, but ide have to go through the whole safety process at a different shop, and Im not sure who would pass a govt safety inspection with alignment out, its usually a basic requirement.

How about air bags inside the springs?

My dad had them in his 54 Buick.

x8 strut tower bolt spacing is not the same as x7. you could redrill for x8 but that seems dumb.

Or just redrill the plates........

^ thats what i was saying. even that seems excessive if youre only doing it to pass some specific short term inspection but i guess you could always use them for either/or chassis and increase your resale market.

should be able to get a billet spring spacer from a leveling kit for ~$1-200?

circle track coilover sleeves to fit the stock strut tubes and like 10" springs?

Got the rear in spec. Front is very close. ( I have access to an alignment machine at work.) I am crossed between pulling the trigger on xm coilovers or just ordering T3 RCA's to get an extra 2" of lift to hopefully bring the camber in spec, and get xm tension rods for caster adjustment. Don't really want to spend 1400 on racing suspension on a daily driver, exchange rate is a big deterrent on ordering US parts right now. Might just say fuck it and order the xm fully adjustable front arm kit and get all of the adjustment I could ever need. I am the most indecisive mother fuck you will ever meet.

RCA's aren't going to help correct camber.

The lower arm kit would probably give you all of the adjustment you would ever need but at a cost that you don't seem to want at the moment.

^^ Not only will the RCA not correct camber, RCA also don't give lift. NCRCA will increase negative camber. Both will increase the static angle of the FLCA, bringing the arm geometry closer to stock.

The xm lower arm kit, on the x8 at least, wont pull in enough to zero your rear camber unless you also have their RUCA. I'm going to have to cut about an inch out of all my lower arms to be able to zero out the rear.

^^ Not a thing on x7s.

X7s are so loose butthole at this point. Even a factory x7 won't align into "factory specs"

When I had to get my car aligned for a "reconstruction permit" in Hawaii, the dude at the shop had to trick the machine to get it close enough to the allowed tolerance.

The raptor racing camber brackets do help, probably like ~2 degrees of camber adjustment depending on how low you get them welded on. You can probably get away with some long springs and the camber brackets.

I just read your last post saying that you got the rear in spec. whoops

For the front what Rue and Jason said, RCAs don't mess with your ride height. They go between the spindle (where your tire is mounted) and the arm. Their main purpose is to push the arm's downward to return them closer to stock geometry. Do you already have camber plates? I got a line on some for 75 shipped, they aren't fancy but I rocked them after I broke one of my BCs in my first wreck. I think the full adjustable arms will only give you more camber by pushing the track out, but you might be right and you might need at least the tension rods to get your caster back into the 'spec'

put some air shocks on the back of it redneck el camino style. Y'all got pepboys, yeah? jcwhitney, time portal to the 70s?

The only x7 advice would be to not get one though.

Let's get real

.......or any Cressida......

I just went ahead and ordered the front arm kit, that way I can be done with it and get all of the adjustment that I need.

Did you confirm with Rich that the arm kit is going to do what you want it to do?

I'de rather not get into the full details. Xm arms ended up being longer at minimum adjustment than oem arms, so we worked out an exchange. I ended up getting the alignment in spec by slotting the k member and adding thicker washers which I then secured into place with tac welds. Kind of a stupid problem, which I wasn't used to dealing with but I get it cased. Just thought ide put this to closure.