Tyler

X8 steering play

So forever I have been trying to fight this steering play in my cressida. I have replaced the rack, front wheel bearings, the inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, the little u-joint where the shaft meets the rack. and it is still terrible. What am I missing here? I have had 3 different racks and it seems like the play is either in the steering shaft itself or within the rack.

Has anyone else had this problem? While drifting it bothers me because it makes the wheels start to wobble.

Rack bushings? Top hats?

Just replaced rack bushings, the top hats are solid. I dont think its a power steering issue because when the car is off and I move the steering wheel it has like 25 degrees of play before it moves the wheels. I am thinking it might have something to do with the telescoping wheel?

Column was my next guess. Go solid race car style?

Actually yes, and with the help of a friend I figured out the problem. It's the rack. It seems like there is a lot of play in the teeth of the rack. I guess it's just bad luck that the past 3 racks I have had are shitty

You know that there is an adjustment on them, right ?

I did not know that, where is the adjustment on it?

Where the steering shaft enters the rack.

You will see a big squarish lock nut that holds the adjustment stem.

Here's even a handy video of a greasy Romanian guy adjusting a Toyota steering rack with no explanation or description of what he's doing:

Wow that is great, i adjusted my rack and it really helped. Cant wait to try and drift with it

Confused as to why he's completely clean minus grease smeared all over his dick region.

That's not how you work on cars?